Hello there, just wondered if anyone out there could remember the Savoy cinema holding it's Saturday film sessions for kids. I was friendly with the managers daughter, ( he was Mr Silvers) and I used to help sell the sweets down at the front! What street cred eh?

I used to live off Willoughby Street so not far to go with my 6D for my ticket and 3D for sweets.

Ah those were the days, we even had a visiting guest sometimes, i.e. the yo-yo champion of the world!! Well I thought that was who it was!

It's a lot cheaper than any of the others too

Re Sat matinees . The Ritz in Carlton was our haunt

Where's Clarence Street? (I lived in Carlton for 36 years and it doesn't ring a bell)

The Ritz sounds very grand for what I know of Carlton! No insult intended as I only know that my dad lived there as a lad and visited there in the 1950's. Wouldn't recognise it now, He lived in Clarence Street.

In its day the Ritz was the best cinema in the Netherfield, Carlton area. I remember folks lined up outside on a Saturday night before the telly came along.

Went to a few of those Sat p.m matinees too Beefy. A great time was had by all.

Dave

Found Clarence street (Well the only one i can find ) and it's off Carlton road in Sneinton Hollows (That answers Ashlars point I think)

• 2 weeks later...

[Thanks for finding Clarence Street, my Dad from what I can remember lived in Clarence Terrace! Umm anyway it was a house at the top of a typical terrace with toilet across the yard. Didnt go there much but my Gran used to spend every Monday at the local wash house, story goes that she packed up a lunch and gossiped all day!

As far as I can tell from your address, It's more St Annes / Sneinton than Carlton (Just off Carlton road though)

• 3 weeks later...
Hello there, just wondered if anyone out there could remember the Savoy cinema holding it's Saturday film sessions for kids. I was friendly with the managers daughter, ( he was Mr Silvers) and I used to help sell the sweets down at the front! What street cred eh?

I used to live off Willoughby Street so not far to go with my 6D for my ticket and 3D for sweets.

Ah those were the days, we even had a visiting guest sometimes, i.e. the yo-yo champion of the world!! Well I thought that was who it was!

hi yes i remember the savoy matinees, you used to win a cadburys chocolate with tour entry ticket

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hi all, am new too the site, i used to work at the savoy in the mid eighties, saw mr silvers about 2 years ago. retired now and sold the cinema to the guy that runs the scala at ilkeston. but was looking well. which daughter was it? if i remember rightly there were 4 of them and his son

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 years later...

hi all, am new too the site, i used to work at the savoy in the mid eighties, saw mr silvers about 2 years ago. retired now and sold the cinema to the guy that runs the scala at ilkeston. but was looking well. which daughter was it? if i remember rightly there were 4 of them and his son

I was at school with one of his daughters Linda I think,

In the sixties we would go to the Savoy on a Sunday night . Sunday Night was normaly Horror night and sci fi , They were called X rated then and you had to be sixteen i think , but i would go in with friends at 14

They were film like " The Blob " Staring Steve Mcqueen , and " I was a Teenage Werewolf " Staring Michael Langdon of Bonanza fame . There was also films that were considered very racy at the time but would probably

be PG now .

PS I can spell but can't type :-(