• 2 months later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good picture. Yes, the door with 'Theatre' over it is the one I mentioned in #50. I've scanned this plan of the ground floors of the two theatres (the bold lines showing the Theatre Royal). It sh

Love B&B pudding. My inlaws were amazed when I said not to throw the bread away. Its become a " can't remember how you make that B&B pudding" its never been forgotten. When we were at the rest

On 1 September 2008 at 11:26 AM, teebee said:

Dicky Valentines dressing room to obtain his autograph

Sat in a bar last night not sure who this bloke was, he was about 60 sat with his wife. Seemed quite interested in the Manchester United Champions league match on telly, he had a steady stream of folk not asking for his autograph, but a selfie on their phones? Best chuck your autograph books in the bin? 

• Like 2

My paternal grandma was an usherette/ice cream lady at the Empire until, probably, into her 70's. She must have been the oldest ice cream girl in the country! I know she was getting on a bit when Hair! first came to the Empire. She wasn't at all fazed by the nudity and thought the cast lovely people. They used to bring flowers in for her.

• Like 2

Are you sure that Hair was at the Empire?

I remember seeing it at the Theatre Royal in 1970 with, what claimed to be, the original London cast. It starred Paul Nicholas - also Richard O'Brian (Crystal Maze, Rocky Horror Show) and Floella Benjamin (Blue Peter and now a baroness).

The show had a great influence on my life - completely turning it around into (probably) what I am today. I went to see it several times and each time I was influenced enough to go up on stage to join in at the end of the performance (if you've seen it, you will know what I mean).

• Like 1

My family tell me I have no concept of the passage of time. I read jonabs comment that Floella Benajamin is now a Baroness and looked her up on Wikipedia. It would seem my family are correct.

Floella is not the bubbly young girl I used to watch with my children but a life peer and on the committee's of so many institutions it makes your head spin. 

Had I been asked before reading this I would have said "she must be forty by now!"

Where did all that time go?   

Without his stage makeup and wig - look at his website on the biog page. https://www.roywood.co.uk/biog.html

Note that he now has white hair - like me but the resemblance is there and I have been mistaken for him.

Note also that the picture of me which I referred to earlier is the one near Littlewoods.

Remember in The Gods there was a wire mesh fence fronting the balcony - it was about 18" high .  was it to stop dropping things on the audience below or was it to help prevent fans falling over the edge when they got too excited. Saw Lonnie singing Rock island Line. On the same show was Bill Maynard (comedian) We lost him earlier this year, I think it was. Always 2 halves to the show and both followed a similar format. Dancers, Jugglers ( etc) singers, comedian and lastly the star, who everyone had really come to see.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Someone who hasn't registered on Nottstalgia - only appearing as "Guest" - has posted the following message and photo as a "Report" which means no-one else would have seen it.

Hi

I`m pretty sure the attached photo of Laurel and Hardy was taken at one of their Christmas shows in 1953.

Can anyone identify this location I`m pretty sure the Parties were held in the Empire Theatre but I`m not 100 percent sure?

pkM1c6q.jpg

• Like 1

Hi All

I have a photograph of Laurel & Hardy at a party and providing autographs to some young fans. The back of the photograph has the name Adams  

and a faded address, however you can make out "Nottingham" on the back of the card and a re-ordering number.

I know Stan and Oliver played at the Empire around Christmas 1953 and into New Year and I do know they had a Christmas Party after each show whereby fans could meet them and obtain autographs.

My question is ....Do you know where these Christmas Parties were actually held and is there anyone out there who attending one of the Shows or Christmas parties?

I would love to hear any of your stories.....Ron  

Do know where they held the Christmas Parties....in the County or the Empire, also was there a New Years Eve Party and if yes where was this held?

regards

Ron

I wonder why my post after phil's has been removed, all I put was that picture had been posted before

Rog

• Like 3

Stan Laurel was born in Ulveston where a lot of my ancestors came from. The last one being my paternal grandfather and an aunt. Lovely town, I went there frequently as a child.

I've always liked L and H.  I often think they were best in their silent film days, though.  Their sight gags were hilarious.  I still enjoy watching them once in a while.  In my opinion they did not do quite so well when the talkies came along.

On 10/8/2018 at 2:40 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Not sure where that is but I've seen photos of them plus wives at the pub which was run by Laurel' s brother or sister...was it Leicestershire?

I'm pretty sure it is in Nottingham and either at one of their Christmas parties or a New Year Party one of the girls received an autograph which I also have.....Stan wrote Happy New Year Marlene on a Promo photo card.......my guess is that this photo was in the Empire ......but I would love a photo of the theatre.....but I guess that is going to be tall order!