I well remember sheltering under those Empire canopies (the far, greenhouse roof ones) during a freak hail storm and having one of the glass panels shatter above my head hit by a super size lump of ice. I suffered only a slight cut to my head. How, I don't know. There was broken glass all around me.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good picture. Yes, the door with 'Theatre' over it is the one I mentioned in #50. I've scanned this plan of the ground floors of the two theatres (the bold lines showing the Theatre Royal). It sh

Love B&B pudding. My inlaws were amazed when I said not to throw the bread away. Its become a " can't remember how you make that B&B pudding" its never been forgotten. When we were at the rest

Superb bread & butter pudding. We used to call it stunge (with a hard 'g' as in strange not as in stung). One bowl of that with custard would keep you full for a week.

Love B&B pudding. My inlaws were amazed when I said not to throw the bread away. Its become a " can't remember how you make that B&B pudding" its never been forgotten. When we were at the restaurant that we opened here in 1989, my SIL was chopping tomatores and  eliminating the top part where the stalk was. I told her to save them all and not throw them away. She was a bit puzzled and thought I was going to save them to eat later. When we had finished serving I set to to make some tomato chutney eliminating the stalk part.  It only made a couple of jars but it was delicious and a thing that wasn't known or used here. They've begun to think differently about the english ! They seem to think we live off fast food or can't cook. 

• I shoad 'em.smile2
  • Like 5
  • 2 months later...
On 10/10/2018 at 12:18 PM, DJ360 said:

My late Father in Law was a music hall 'artiste'.  Self taught as a young man in Everton.. Liverpool.   He worked on the Moss Empires circuit from the 1930s until the 1960s when 'Variety' pretty much died.  Even then he did occasional work in 'Olde Tyme Music Hall' shows put on by 'impresarios' such as Don Ellis , who organised 'Old Tyme' shows well into the 1970s.. maybe later..  Don would do the same sort of 'interlocution' that Andrew Sachs did at the Leeds Variety Theatre.... his favourite being to introduce the next act 'At enoooooormous expense..'.  Father in Law also did some TV work... mostly non speaking parts.  He was in 'Domby and Son', 'The Boys From the Blackstuff' and a play called 'Somewhere More Central', as I recall.

Not Andrew (Manuel) Sachs, but his father, Leonard.

The Sachs escaped from the Nazis  in pre-war Germany on the same boat as a friend’s father and grandparents. The rest of the family weren’t so lucky :(

• Like 1

Is Andrew Sachs related to Leonard Sachs?

They are not related. Andrew Sachs (real name Andreas Seigfried Sachs) was born in Germany in 1930. His family fled the Nazi regime in 1938, settling in north London. 

Leonard Sachs was born in South Africa in 1909 and died in London in 1990.28 Aug 2016

The Sunday Post (Newcastle): 2016-08-28 - The ... - PressReader

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Regular Saturday, first house, visitor to the Gods ‘45 to ‘48, and well remember the scramble to get in the front row. Remember the Billy Cotton Bandshow, the magic shows ? Dante, and did I really see badminton played on ice. And of course Wilson , Kepler and Betty, and Nosmo King, and old Mother Riley. It was the weekly treat.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

After watching a rather farcial Formula 1 advert ridden replay I looked for something 'lighter & even humerous', out on freeveiw 81 I spotted "Sunday night at the Palladium" with Jimmy Tarbuck. OMG The show (date not shown) had already started and on stage was Michael Bentine doing exactly the same act that we saw him do umpteen years ago at the Empire, even at the end of his act when using a 'plumbers plunger' as a prop he did a (now aday) non pc impersonation of Paul Robesion singing 'Old Man River' and then leaving the stage with the plunger on his head a a trolley bus, at the Empire it was a 44 trolley bus going down Parliament St!. Tarbuck was Tarbuck with the "Batchelors" topping the bill, quite a trip down memory lane.

Great stuff Albert.  I've got that whole series recording from 'Talking Pics'.  Haven't had the nerve to watch any of them yet but you've inspired me.

I saw that one yesterday - it was dated 1965. 

Maybe there's a strange kind of nostalgia about those programmes - and I've watched a few  (or part of them) - but I don't think they've stood the test of time at all.  Incredibly dated, dull and corny. If that's what the so-called good old days were like, I'm glad they've gone.

We used to collect cards showing the performers at 'Sunday Night at the London Palladium', early sixties. I think they must have been cigarette cards not bubble-gum. I do remember one was Dickie Valentine.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My great-grandfather ("Dan Conroy"), grandfather and great-uncles ("The Five Sherry Brothers"), and father and uncle ("The Nelson Brothers") all played the Empire.  I walked in their footsteps in while on holiday in 2019, visiting an Aunt in Clifton.  It was incredibly evocative but I wish I could have toured the Empire, alas.  Nottingham was the family home for decades but well before I was born.  My great-great grandparents, Harry and Louisa Truman, ran The Red Lion in Costock before moving to the Waggon and Horses in Bleasby.  There was a real sense of "home" for me in Nottingham.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2