teebee

Empire Theatre

I often used to get L & H mixed up with Abbott & Costello - who were the most unfunny people ever to appear on the music hall stage (or in films). I've a vague memory of seeing them on stage but Google doesn't give any reference to them ever appearing in Nottingham (where it would have been) so that seems a figment.

Ron: there are records..somewhere on the Crystal Set -photos of L&H staying at The Black Boy Hotel..which they had some great parties. Old Grantham newspapers contain some nice features also.

• Like 2

No probs Ron..my Grandmother appeared on stage in Nottm..could have been The Empire, she was a Tiller girl and was on the same bill as a young undiscovered Charles Chaplin.

Dennis Norden's passing was very sad- as he and Roy Hudd were of great Music Hall and Moss Empire knowledge. The Bull pub in Bottesford must have been a riot when those two were on the lash!

• Like 3

Stan and Ollie certainly did pull the pints in the Bull Pub on Xmas Day in 1953..also worth noting that Stan's Sister first ran The Plough in Barkston.

• Like 1

On October 12, 2018 at 4:40 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

Didn't realise that Oliver Hardy was born in Georgia...Loppy country. My father was an avid fan of Laurel and Hardy having grown up with their films.

I didn't know that, Jill.  Yer learns summat new every day on here. :)