teebee

Empire Theatre

No probs Ron..my Grandmother appeared on stage in Nottm..could have been The Empire, she was a Tiller girl and was on the same bill as a young undiscovered Charles Chaplin.

Dennis Norden's passing was very sad- as he and Roy Hudd were of great Music Hall and Moss Empire knowledge. The Bull pub in Bottesford must have been a riot when those two were on the lash!

• Like 3

Stan and Ollie certainly did pull the pints in the Bull Pub on Xmas Day in 1953..also worth noting that Stan's Sister first ran The Plough in Barkston.

• Like 1

On October 12, 2018 at 4:40 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

Didn't realise that Oliver Hardy was born in Georgia...Loppy country. My father was an avid fan of Laurel and Hardy having grown up with their films.

I didn't know that, Jill.  Yer learns summat new every day on here. :)

On 3/3/2016 at 1:13 PM, Merthyr Imp said:

Good picture. Yes, the door with 'Theatre' over it is the one I mentioned in #50.

Untitled-Scanned-01_zpsxvuqgyqe.jpg

Hi Does this document contain a plan of the upper floor, also are there any photographs of the internal first floor front windows, facing the portico area? If it does would it be possible for you to upload these?

Best regards

Ron

Ron and others may like to read:

Letters From Stan.Com

Lots of letters typed and signed from his British tours..also the battle and rows for his money and estate.

With apologies if this has been posted before, just pinched it off FB
        Image may contain: outdoor

• Like 4

Thanks Albert. I've been in long queues under those canopies many a time. Sometimes right around the corner. My dad could only afford seats up in the Gods. Scared me the first time up there. I still have dreams about flying around inside that Theatre, when leaving my wooden seat of a perch up near the roof.

• Like 1

I well remember sheltering under those Empire canopies (the far, greenhouse roof ones) during a freak hail storm and having one of the glass panels shatter above my head hit by a super size lump of ice. I suffered only a slight cut to my head. How, I don't know. There was broken glass all around me.

Sitting in the gods wasn't too bad once the lights were out and attention was focused on the stage but with all the house lights on, it seemed pretty perilous to look down!

• Like 1

Once the best cafe in town... 

Superb bread & butter pudding. We used to call it stunge (with a hard 'g' as in strange not as in stung). One bowl of that with custard would keep you full for a week.

Love B&B pudding. My inlaws were amazed when I said not to throw the bread away. Its become a " can't remember how you make that B&B pudding" its never been forgotten. When we were at the restaurant that we opened here in 1989, my SIL was chopping tomatores and  eliminating the top part where the stalk was. I told her to save them all and not throw them away. She was a bit puzzled and thought I was going to save them to eat later. When we had finished serving I set to to make some tomato chutney eliminating the stalk part.  It only made a couple of jars but it was delicious and a thing that wasn't known or used here. They've begun to think differently about the english ! They seem to think we live off fast food or can't cook. 

• I shoad 'em.smile2
  • Like 5

On 10/10/2018 at 12:18 PM, DJ360 said:

My late Father in Law was a music hall 'artiste'.  Self taught as a young man in Everton.. Liverpool.   He worked on the Moss Empires circuit from the 1930s until the 1960s when 'Variety' pretty much died.  Even then he did occasional work in 'Olde Tyme Music Hall' shows put on by 'impresarios' such as Don Ellis , who organised 'Old Tyme' shows well into the 1970s.. maybe later..  Don would do the same sort of 'interlocution' that Andrew Sachs did at the Leeds Variety Theatre.... his favourite being to introduce the next act 'At enoooooormous expense..'.  Father in Law also did some TV work... mostly non speaking parts.  He was in 'Domby and Son', 'The Boys From the Blackstuff' and a play called 'Somewhere More Central', as I recall.

Not Andrew (Manuel) Sachs, but his father, Leonard.

The Sachs escaped from the Nazis  in pre-war Germany on the same boat as a friend’s father and grandparents. The rest of the family weren’t so lucky :(

• Like 1

Is Andrew Sachs related to Leonard Sachs?

They are not related. Andrew Sachs (real name Andreas Seigfried Sachs) was born in Germany in 1930. His family fled the Nazi regime in 1938, settling in north London. 

Leonard Sachs was born in South Africa in 1909 and died in London in 1990.28 Aug 2016

The Sunday Post (Newcastle): 2016-08-28 - The ... - PressReader

• Like 1

I allus thought they were brothers.