Noticed that last night when passing by.

It was an unlovely building perhaps but one that created a lot of employment in and around Arnold over the years. One of the top three local employers along with The Home Brewery and Allan Solley.

• 6 months later...

didnt they have their own well/borehole.....wonder who gets to keep that??

• 10 months later...

Currently the Daybrook Laundry site remains a huge pile of rubble (though work would have been difficult recently in the wintry conditions).

Such a shame, as was the passing of The Home Brewery.

Another loss to the local economy is the passing of the Metallifacture building on Mansfield Road near Arch Hill at Redhill which has been demolished and cleared.

With the White Hart site between the two sadly growing high in grass for the past few months the times they are a-changing around this area.

Saxby's on Bar Lane had their own well, massive bore hole, must have been 12ft? in diameter, went down it around 1970, circular brick lined with fixed ladder and at bottom a platform with pump motors etc, am told in housing estate now on the site a round traffic island is where the bore was, whether coincidence or layout designed thus to avoid any settlement problem unsure? (ditto it's location) re Metallifacture, didn't it used to be on Carlton Rd at one time? with public air raid shelters under it during WW2?

Beeston Boiler Company had their own bores, three if I recall. All the plants water came from them.

• 6 years later...

A branch of Aldi opened on the laundry site over a year ago. Not a patch on

Lidls just up the road on the site of the White Hart pub.

For a short time in 95, I was an agency worker as drivers mate at Daybrook Laundry travelling to hotels, restaurants, care homes etc with clean laundry and returning with the dirty items. Early starts, heavy work, poor pay but plenty of overtime. I loved it.

Especially trips such as Heathrow airport and Gatwick. Great days.

I could believe it. It wasn't always the best, but I liked the bottled IPA and didn't they do a bitter called 5 Star ?

I remember it in large cans, four or five pints, maybe more. It was fine for parties.

Talking of Shippo's (which was an acquired taste) - has anyone tried the "new" Shippo's, allegedly made from the same recipe. It's made at the Belvoir Brewery at Old Dalby. It's just another average beer really. They don't seemed to have captured the unique Shipstone's flavour which you either loved or loathed.

Not seen it yet, but there's some new ones gradually appearing at Lidls stores.

Went to the new Lidl at Bingham last week on an exploratory mission. Sausages were rubbish, potatoes were rubbish and bread was rubbish. All down to a price. I did buy a couple of enormous crow bars for ÂŁ7 the pair and they proved to be very good!

The Belvoir Brewery Shipstone's has Ben around for a couple of years now.

I remember when I lived at Saxondale village, they only had Beaumonts and the Co-Op.

• 3 months later...

Can't help with a picture Tim, but an old workmate at my last job worked as a driver there & he said they were a good firm to work for.

He pulled out of the yard at 2am & went to Luton then Heathrow Airport & finished with a couple of hotel jobs in central London, before returning home.

Two man crew, finished about teatime, long days.

• Upvote 1

I visit the former Home Brewery building every so often in the course of my work. Interesting place which is costing a lot to maintain and repair. I prefer to go there in winter as it's always like a furnace inside. Old cast iron radiators belting out heat and too risky to open most of the windows which have decaying metal frames (possibly Crittalls) and secondary glazing which has seized up! In summer, it's worse than a bake oven!

I recall in 1960 attending my uncle's wedding at the church nearby. Sis was a bridesmaid. Ended in divorce 10 years later!

• Upvote 1

About 25 years ago I delivered pallets of photo copying paper there ! Beautiful old building too.

Me & a mate wheeled a pallet weighing about half a ton into the old fashioned lift, then it sunk to the bottom, unable to lift ! hellothere

Happy days, esp when one of the receptionists used to catch my bus regularly when she went to school ! a few years before Always got a cup of tea !

• Upvote 1

Oddly enough, Catfan, that lift is still there and is notorious for getting stuck although, thankfully, it's never happened to me! It does feel a bit rickety at times though.

The worst thing about that place is the sensors they've installed everywhere (even in the lift and loos!). The stairs have been enclosed with safety glass panelling and because some of the sensors don't respond to the smartcards we all have to wear, I've been trapped on the stairs between floors several times. Better than being trapped in the lift, I suppose!

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...