Anyone remember Khabula (Eddie Shingler)

Does anyone remember seeing a Stage Show (held in The Cavalier, City Engineers, Red Lion at Sandiacre and also Goose Fair)?

The act involved Khabula having his tongue nailed to the table, hat pins through various parts of his body. Lying on broken glass with a bed of nails on his chest, with his 'assistant' standing on the bed of nails. He also ate Light Bulbs etc and had buttons sewn on his bare back for his cloak.

I've heard all the tales of this chap and the show, as my mum was his assistant, Vivien and my dad was his Manager.

Anyone remember seeing them? Too much to hope for a photograph.

Around 1964 I saw a similar show at the Goose Fair.

When the guy walked on broken glass, a piece shot out and as I was leaning on the edge of the stage I covered it with my arms.

Later examination revealed it not to have any sharp edges!

There was another chap trying to copy Kahbula at the time, think his name was Barry. He came round to my mum and dads for 'so called lessons' on some of the act, instead of breaking the lightbulb first and eating some of the glass, he bit into it before dad could stop him and cut his mouth open! Before he would go to hospital he apparently nagged my dad to tell him about some burning cloth on the face trick! Dad told him it was basically a cloth and petrol (lighter), some months later, my dad saw him with his face all burnt, he'd used normal petrol!

The glass my mum used with Khabula was milk bottles broken on stage on the night, to show they were 'fresh' :D

Personally, I think the guy must've been nuts, but he apparently didn't feel pain!

• 4 months later...

Personally, I think the guy must've been nuts, but he apparently didn't feel pain!

Could have been Gerry..? My Mum's ex went through this spell where he'd do everything the great Kabhula did and 'terrified' us kids with these nails through his tongue, swallowing lit cigarettes and fireballs not to mention the pins and needles he'd stick here and there. "Mind over Matter" he called it. Mum agreed with you - he was bonkers and I know he didn't feel pain (got bonked on the head...) or the opposite of pain, but that's another story.

Robert

I remember a guy called 'Doctor....... " something " ....he hammered nails up his nose etc and had a dartboard drawn on his back...let folk throw darts at him....one of his best mates was called 'tango'....came to me for many tattoos ...all 'orange'....used to drive his missus mad.....also had the pix off the poster for this 'doctor' and his 'assistant' tattooed on his arms.

I used to book all the comedy acts for the Variety i put A&E on twice on a Sunday dinner , until the naked exotic artiste all the way from the states or the estate stood on a shard of concrete slab that they had been smashing on each others heads,

• 3 weeks later...