Do mobile phones fry your brain ?

Didn't check it, but there are several faked video's on Youtube.

There is mounting evidence that RF energy is bad for our health, record numbers of brain tumors are appearing, so put it down to cell phone use.

I know I'm susceptible to RF energy, some years ago I was making adjustments to a 70cm power amplifier. I had to make those adjustments with the screening removed, my eyes were aching like hell after about five minutes!! RF exposure at those frequencies usually affect the eyes! 70cm= the 440mhz band.

Remember, cell phones work on the same frequency band as your micro wave ovens!

I prefer NO rf near my head or body, thats why I won't have a cell phone.

IF you must use them, get a headset and keep the phone well away from internal organs!!

There is some good info on Dr Mercola's website. http://www.mercola.com/

,,,,, don't forget that ALL electrical items give off radio waves,,,,, inc: TV's, Radios, Clocks, Hoovers (there are other brands available) computers, monitors, etc etc etc. We are bombarded with them all day - every day.

Where do we draw the line,,,

-----:-----

will have to leave the experiment till my son pops over,,,, but will put it here either way.

Electromagnetic fields Bazz, not RF, slight difference. BUT, evidence seems to suggest the higher the frequency, the more danger. I've been messing with RF many years now, and as a licensed ham, supposed to do an RF survey after I've raised an antenna if I have close neighbours or capable of transmitting with a power of more than 50 watts RMS of power. I like all my antennas as far as practicable, well away from the shack, there is a limit due to line losses though!! I also like a shack with no RF leakage on any of the frequencies I transmit on, ie 160, 80, 40, 20, 17, 15 and 10 metres, plus 2 metres and 70cms. thats roughly up to 440mhz.

I wouldn't bother with the experiment, there's not enough power in a cell phone to pop popcorn! At best you'd be waiting hours mate. BUT there is enough power to cause problems with living cells.

I know what you'r saying john , but if that is real it is bloody scary!!

Then again if it was real I think(Hope) the powers that be would have done some thing about it.

It's a big bucks industry Ian, rakes in billions every year, now can you see corporations letting the truth escape???

Over 100 years ago the French knew full well the dangers of asbestos, they suppressed the truth and only admitted they knew how dangerous it was at the end, probably in the late 1970's! In the French colonies where they were mining asbestos, the average working life of the black miners was less than a year. They were dying of cancer of the lungs caused by asbestos fibres, and yet they kept the lid on it for nearly 100 years!! It was too profitable for the French government.

There are medical as well as electronics engineers who are trying to let us know how dangerous cell phones are, but money is stopping the word getting out.

Nothing new, it has gone on for donkey's years.

Recommendations are children under teen years should NEVER use a cell phone as their brain tissue is still forming, over a certain age, no more than a few minutes a day.

BUT everyone should really use a headset and keep the phone away from the head at all times.

Richard Branson, Virgin's owner, issued ALL of his employees headsets and warned them to use them at all times. He also stated he would fire any employee he caught not using headsets! He stated the reason was his best mate died from a brain tumour caused by cell phone use.

There's one man who takes the danger seriously.

Must admit , I always hold it away from my head (using speaker or headphones where possible) and I always wait till I can hear it ringing whoever I am dialing, before I put the bloody thing to my ear.

Mind you I don't use it at all now (Still got over £60 in credit on it , )

If you search a little further on youtube you will see that it is a sham.

They bolted a magnatron from a microwave oven under the table which was the cause of the 'popcorn'.

If you search a little further on youtube you will see that it is a sham.

They bolted a magnatron from a microwave oven under the table which was the cause of the 'popcorn'.

Spoil sport my eldest has just taken a packet of popcorn to the pub with her .

You have all mostly covered this. I came in late.

I avoid putting the phone to my ear. Use speakerphone. Also avoid use of Bluetooth headsets. They do not protect you from RF as they too use RF between the phone and the headset.

I worked in the cellphone industry for four years. Don't expect to hear anything from the carriers about this problem. Never heard it discussed while I was in the industry but I often wondered about it. Used them a lot during that period. Maybe that's why I can't remember where I put anything now !faint!

I expect to see many more brain tumors in the coming years especially among the kids that are using them today. That said I'm sure it will be like the debate over cigarettes and cancer. The makers will deny the obvious and folks will just keep dying.

Anyway the Hadron Collider might get us all first. Anyone heard anything about that? isitsafe

Maybe I should start a separate thread on that topic

Dave

Hi,

Sorry to butt in on your topic, but if I can just put in my 2penneth.

My wife was diagnosed with a grade 3 astrocytoma brain tumour at the QMC in January 2003, she had a debaulk operation and a full course of radiotherapy at the City, her prognosis was "up to two years"! she is still here bossing me about, mind you she is Welsh!

The point of my comment is, she took part in a European survey regarding the possible causes of brain tumours.

The people we spoke with at the time were convinced that digital signals were connected, particularly in the still developing brain, brain tumours in young people are increasing although a tumour can take a few months, to many years to surface.

The result of the survey was that there is no proof that mobile phones are linked to brain tumours, but we have 3 consultant neuro surgeons who are not convinced.

Regards.

So these guys nailed a magnatron to the underside of the table!

Methinks they have more to worry about than fried brains.

We recently had a meeting with University Researchers at our workplace.

They were studying the possible long term effects of use of the use of

our 2 way radios. The initial advice was to use a microphone to keep

the main set away from the head whilst transmitting.

With mobile phones, we are too early into their life to see a health hazard pattern appearing?

The only problem Mick, is the industry will cover any data up to protect their interests, ie money! They will do their best to make sure if they find any negative data that it is securely locked away

As Loppylugs stated, it's big tobacco all over again.

I did read a report by a top brain surgeon, who truly believes cell phones are already causing the damage he's seeing, he stated that he has never during all of his years seen such an increase in brain tumours. He also noted that the tumours appeared on the side of the brain consistent with patients use of cell phone.!

• 10 years later...

Us squaddie's were told NEVER to walk in front of an operating radar as it could spell trouble for our future health. Spent hours operating them & wonder how much RF energy leaked into me from the klystron/waveguides/phased array gubbins? I used to carry a mars bar in my jacket pocket to see if it melted, it never did... BTW they were  ZB298 pulsed doppler 3 cm radars. Also spent hours near cymberline mortar locating radars, they used wankel engined geny's which I found fascinating, bit of a smokey exhaust though..

Friend of mine used to be an electronics weapons technician in the RAN at one time. They isolated the radars and main radios before working on them. Pretty well known UHF signals and higher cause cataracts, that's why its recommended to check your micro wave oven for leakage annually. The "RF sniffers" don't cost much.

As a licensed ham, I'm required by law to carry out an RF evaluation if I live close to other people so as not to compromise their health when on air.

RF IS dangerous, the higher the frequency the greater chance of damaged DNA and cancers. I know I'm susceptible to frequencies above 440Mhz, I tuned a 440Mhz commercial 100Watt amplifier to the 400 ham band, it couldn't be done in a screened cage and my eyes were aching pretty badly after I'd completed the tuning process, maybe that's why I now have the onset of cataracts.

I posted a copy of a report on FB of an independent study of cell phone experiments, that caused cancers in rats and mice. The advice given was use hands free cell phone usage, DON'T place the phone anywhere near your head of near your kidneys or vital organs, LIMIT your kids usage of cell phones, DO NOT have them next to your bed at night switched on. I'l find the report and post it here.

I might also add, research has shown, those living close to high voltage overhead lines, 33,000V to 750,000 volt lines, cancer rates were several times higher than those who don't live near them. Children who lived near then tended to have cancer rates hundreds of times higher than children who don't live near them.

Children have been found to be more susceptible to RF and low frequency AC fields than adults.

From stuff I've been reading just wait until 5 g comes to our neighborhoods  little cell transmitters on every other lampost.  Just so that your'frig can talk to your smart? tv and every other wifi enabled gizmo in the house or car.  Brave new world and all that.

• Like 1

Be aware that the link given above is a sales pitch for a device reputed to reduce radiation levels.

Also, be aware that US advertising standards are not the same as those in the UK.

I'm not suggesting that the advice is wrong, just to be careful how you interpret it.

The actual report was being used by a company yes. There are plenty of well researched reports on microwave energy dangers to human health.

I also quoted my own experience with 440Mhz RF energy.