Nottingham General Hospital

I worked as a Porter and Stationery Store keeper at the old General Hospital for a little time before I went on to Highbury Hospital in do my nursing training

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've noticed that as well. Including that ugly thing where they talk - or do something - with the fag stuck in their mouth, hanging out the corner.    And also...when anyone goes to another

The only three things I remember about the hospital is as follows:- #1. Had a huge penicillin injection in my thigh when I was a bobby back then for an abcess on a tooth. Within hours my face was back

• 3 weeks later...

In 1965 had a serious eye accident... rushed from Clifton..( Bransdale?)to the Ropewalk eye hospital.. always remember a nurse Diary...looked after me so well. Wasn't until 1979 that the 2 nd op put it right..I think the General had closed by then but the eye hospital remained open..never forget the ambulance ride as that Lomas tore into town!!

Yes Peel Street or "Women's" hospital was near the Arboretum, my mum had hysterectomy there and then went to Adbolton Hall near West Bridgford to convalesce as that's what they used to do on those days. I was still at school so it must have been late 60's, it was also a maternity hospital. There were a couple of other maternity hospitals - Highbury and The Cedars are two I recall.

My mother in law had radiotherapy at the General, she was in there for weeks if not months. this was 1974 as I remember pushing my daughter in her Silver Cross pram up the big hill every Saturday so her gran could see her.

I don't think Cedars was ever a Maternity Hospital OrphanAnnie. The Firs was, and that was just a few hundred yards away towards Sherwood, at the top of the hill (it's now a Care Home) I was thinking recently that I was born there and may end my days there too!

The Cedars was a rehabilitation unit for a long time. My Grandad spent time in there following surgery at the General Hospital in the early 50s.

I was born at Peel Street during the war. Spent a couple of months in General with pneumonia problems in my 20s,14 died in the ward while I was there.....from there went to Cedars where after a fortnight the Doctor sent me home..."For a good nights sleep and a decent meal"...his words. ;)

And throughout this time the morning papers and tea trolley came round with cigarettes for sale...and each bed had an ashtray on the bedside table. :huh:

• Upvote 2

Yes you're right Lizzie, I knew it was a tree type!! It's weird that those maternity hospitals have become care homes - not just in Nottingham - like you say we start and end at the same place..........

• 5 months later...

I went to the General twice. Once to have my tonsils out and I too remember the ice cream and jelly.The second time with work, shortly before the tower was demolished and out of morbid curiosity we all went upto the theatres near the top and I remember seeing green Formica everywhere. ( green lessens the visual impact of red if you want to know ).

I remember my dad going in the General hospital for an opp, he was in the round tower building right at the top, I believe it is now "THE PENTHOUSE" I wonder if it's possible to still visit?

A friend on mine married a doctor do any of you know a Dr Bowmick? or a Dr Pollard?

God those photos shook a memory ! I spent severn long weeks in that building shown, around 1964, James Foreman ward, the ward sister was a sister Monk, very prim and proper and efficient.

I was in the actual round bit shown near the ground floor of the rear car park and ambulance bay, from memory there was 4-5 beds in that small annexe off the bottom of the ward, we were put there as long timers on traction.

I had the unfortunate privilege due to a fractured femur after a motor bike accident.

• 1 year later...

Hubby worked at the General from 1964 until it closed and then he was transfered to QMC where he stayed until his death in 2006.  He started as an apprentice chef and did several learning stints at various other hospitals including Children's and Saxondale.  When he died he was the Quality Assurance and Training Manager for the Catering Department (which was sold off to Batemans and then Compass.

• 5 months later...

I remember that round tower. Anderson 1&2 wards. i was in there after doing a superman impression over the handlebars of my bike.

35 minutes ago, AnthonyP said:

Oldphill,

There were no maternity services at the Nottingham General Hospital.

Thanks for that. It's back to the drawing board!

I was fostered, and only have a battered birth certificate. No real details, but an address on Queens drive (now the Experia building)

Walking from the car park into Kings Mill Hospital yesterday, I spotted a large poster by the cycle stands. It depicted a nurse and words to the effect of "During my career, I've seen so many people die of lung cancer. STOP SMOKING!"  Standing in front of the poster? You've guessed it....2 nurses, puffing away! Didn't like to photograph them! Just shook my head and walked on! :wacko:

We were visiting an old friend of mine at Kingsmill hospital about 2 months ago.  It is a very impressive building, inside and out.  The care my friend was receiving seemed very good - I hope it's the same standard all through the hospital....

You  should have taken a photo of the nurses smoking, Jill!

Looks better than where I went yesterday!

Kings Mill is a product of the PFI initiative and, I gather, the trust has virtually run out of money as a result. Skanska is certainly getting fat on the proceeds of the car parks!

I recall seeing nurses smoking outside the old Dukeries building, since demolished and now...a car park! That was 12 years ago when my father was in there terminally ill with cancer. Some of them worked on his ward. Seeing the Big C at such close quarters doesn't seem to put them off the evil weed.

I did think about taking a photo but it's probably in contravention of Data Protection or their Uman Rights to do so! :(

I've not smoked for about 35 years, and never taken any form of drugs, but I wouldn't like to put it to the test !

Alcohol is a drug and possibly causes more related suffering and death than other drugs - but it is considered  socially acceptable..

• Like 1