Nottingham General Hospital

Yes, but it tastes nice Margie !  Just having a large brandy and chocolate biscuits !

• Like 1
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've noticed that as well. Including that ugly thing where they talk - or do something - with the fag stuck in their mouth, hanging out the corner.    And also...when anyone goes to another

The only three things I remember about the hospital is as follows:- #1. Had a huge penicillin injection in my thigh when I was a bobby back then for an abcess on a tooth. Within hours my face was back

I have greatly reduced my intake but I still like a fag with a pint and I have respect for some one who managed to kick the weed. I spent 10 years from 75 to 85 drilling into my lad just what a fool I was starting smoking but we knew no different when I was young.

A friend of mine Terry seemed to have the best of both worlds, having a pint with me he loved a big cigar inhaling with the best of them, then he would never smoke again till he was out for a pint.

Maybe be that's why he made 83 and was in good health until the day he died or maybe it was because he was a Basford lad.

Two of my three girls smoke, a son in law and at least one grandson. They know the consequences, and it's a waste of time telling them of the dangers.

• 1 year later...
On 11/24/2017 at 3:32 AM, NewBasfordlad said:

A friend of mine Terry seemed to have the best of both worlds, having a pint with me he loved a big cigar inhaling with the best of them, then he would never smoke again till he was out for a pint.

Up until reading this, i thought it was unique that someone could do that. When I worked at the citb in Norfolk, a work colleague would do exactly the same. Come Friday down the pub and a packet of fags, same on Saturday and Sunday. Come Monday and for the rest of the week, never bothered, how do people do that? When I smoked, the longest i could go without a fag was when I was asleep!!

• Like 1

Me too Waddo,,,   been 6 months,, now.still struggle.,,....and watching ''Talking Pictures'' don't help,,everyone's got one on.........went out back into the smoking area at Wethers this morning,, just to watch em..........lol

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

.and watching ''Talking Pictures'' don't help,,everyone's got one on........

I've noticed that as well. Including that ugly thing where they talk - or do something - with the fag stuck in their mouth, hanging out the corner. 

And also...when anyone goes to another person's house, they immediately offer the visitor a drink.

Britain in the 1950s seems to have been a country of chain-smoking alcoholics.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

been 6 months,, now.still struggle.

Don't tell me that Ben, I'm now on day 76 and struggling. I am hoping, because it's what I've been told, it gets much easier after 3 months....     

• Like 1

Well not in my case Brew,, some say the craving never ends,, my worse times are,, 

1/with first coffee early morning,,

2/after shower,

3/after getting dressed

4/getting in my car

5/getting out my car

6/after eating breakfast

7/walking back to my car 

8/then rest of the day. Lol 

• Like 3

After meals or drinking tea are the worst but I'm pretty much wound up all day. I'm struggling to convince myself that at 73 it's worth the aggravation, the fact that herself smokes doesn't help.

One tip. Be careful of using Wrigleys Extra chewing gum as a substitute. The label warns, in small letters, of a possible laxative effect.... it's true.

• Like 1

I am still struggling with being a non-smoker. I must admit I have caved once or twice. The thing is I enjoyed it and have to give up because of a medical problem not because I wanted to. Using a vape thingy just isn’t the same, just doesnt feel right and I can’t see the point in having flavoured oil in them, I didn’t buy strawberry cigarettes. I can smell someone smoking from a long way away and, like Ben, miss it continually. I envy those who say, rightly or wrongly, that they just stopped and it didn’t bother them, never sure whether to believe them or not, perhaps it is just that I don’t have enough willpower.

• Like 2

I packed up smoking about six years ago but went onto the vape, never craved for a fag since and like you staverton girl couldn't see the point of flavoured juice. But now, i mix my own flavour and can't get enough of it!!. I'm more addicted to vaping than I ever was smoking but at least it's an affordable pleasure!!

The only three things I remember about the hospital is as follows:- #1. Had a huge penicillin injection in my thigh when I was a bobby back then for an abcess on a tooth. Within hours my face was back to normal size. Thank you nurses. #2. A bit of a sad one this one. Called to investigate that someone had entered the morgue and opened one of the freezer drawers. Turns out that the body was that of a baby, but was still wrapped in a white sheet. Nothing had been disturbed. Weird! #3. Was called to the ER one day for a violent person who was refusing to have a tube shoved down his throat after taking a bottle of aspirin. My cohort, Big John Smith,  hadn't the guts to hold this guy down as the nurses tried to insert the tube to pump his stomach. So, I had to hold him down alone while it was done and didn't bother me in the least. Would love to post more about my short time in Central Division, but will do so if the interest is there.

• Like 4
  • 2 years later...