Nottingham General Hospital

I recently retired from the NHS after some thirty odd years mainly working in acute Accident / Emergency Departments where I was a Clinical director.

I actually started Nurse training at Nottingham in the late 60s/early 70s working at Mapperley/ City Hospital and finally after two and half years at the General I left for London.

I wondered if any one had any good memories ( or bad ) of the Nottingham Hospitals.

I was brought up on Woolmer Road in the Meadows and have very happy memories of my childhood.

Nice to have any stories or comments.

Kind regards

Tony

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've noticed that as well. Including that ugly thing where they talk - or do something - with the fag stuck in their mouth, hanging out the corner.    And also...when anyone goes to another

The only three things I remember about the hospital is as follows:- #1. Had a huge penicillin injection in my thigh when I was a bobby back then for an abcess on a tooth. Within hours my face was back

I had my Appendix out at the General. I was only 11 and there were no beds available at the Childrens hospital. I ended up in Mable Player ward , full of amputees and old men smoking themselves (and those around them) to death. My mum hated the idea, and dragged me home too soon (Under protest) . So much too soon in fact , that I was back in that night !!

Well, from a patient point of view,

Had me tonsils out at the 'ospital on Chaucer Street in '56... mmmm, after, I got crusts cut off me sandwiches, jelly and ice cream and some sitting on the settee in me 'jarmas bein' looked after.

Had life saving surgery at the old general Ear, Nose and Throat in '74.

Other than that - nowt to say ..... but, you do a great job when required.

Respects all round.

• Upvote 1
Well, from a patient point of view,

Had me tonsils out at the 'ospital on Chaucer Street in '56... mmmm, after, I got crusts cut off me sandwiches, jelly and ice cream and some sitting on the settee in me 'jarmas bein' looked after.

Had life saving surgery at the old general Ear, Nose and Throat in '74.

Other than that - nowt to say ..... but, you do a great job when required.

Respects all round.

were you at mapperley in 1967 the night of the nurses home party where the drugs cupboards were raided? am sure pink floyd were there! the fire alarms were all set off and all the patients were on the lawn (see first line of their song brain damage! lol) another memorable time was when working at the addiction unit I accepted lift home on motorbike, we didn't even get out the grounds! crashing near the bowling green and finishing up in the general,

I was four years old (1965) and had an accident learning to ride my new bike. Somehow the handle bar went down my throat, so I ended up in the Children's Hospital for plastic surgery.

While I was on the ward I almost killed myself trying to escape by climbing out of the first floor ward window. Luckily a nurse dragged me back in. I became such a nuisance some of the nurses wished I had fallen out that window!

A Couple of years ago, I met a girl in the course of my work.

When asked what she did for a living, she stated she was in nursing.

I continued with my work, and the subject of 'Ulnar' and 'Radial' (wont go into detail) came up.

M. "Well Ulnar and Radial you should know those being a nurse?"

BLANK LOOK?

M. Indicating to my arm.. "The Ulnar and Radial bones?"

N. "Never Heard of them?"

M. "And you a Nurse?"

N. "Oh No! I am in H.R. --- Nurses? Sack Em!"

Now I see the problems in the NHS today?

...Other than that - nowt to say ..... but, you do a great job when required. Respects all round.

Exactly so Frank...certainly true for me and, I'd suggest, the vast majority...

Never ever needed hospitals, doctors, nurses or nursing until a decade ago - but am now totally reliant upon them.

Majority of my admissions and consultations have been at Nottingham City...

The next complaint I have about the place, or any of its staff, will be the first.

Cheers

Robt P.

Thats remarkable Mick!! I can still remember most of the bones in the skeleton from my first aid training, that was about 45 years ago, and I never carried it on after that first year.

Yes H.R. (Human Resources) Formerly 'Personnel Department'

HR is a misnomer in my experience. More interested in saving Financial Resources for the company,

than in the Staff themselves.

For Tony's benefit, I should clarify that the the NHS HR I spoke to was not from Nottingham.

Ashley/ Mick

Thank you.

Ashley I was not at Mapperley in 1967 but I did go to some wild partys there when I was a student.

I walked round the 'old ' hospital some three years ago and took some photographs.

Mick there was some boys at TB that thought there was a major bone in a certain area !!

I agree NHS has gone down hill and would not wish to work again in the system.

I had many happy memories of the NHS in Nottm-it was really good then.

I thoroughly enjoyed working at NG hospital. A /E was very busy then but NOT the violence we see today. In my last years in London stabbings/shootings ten a penny. At the General in 18 months

of Casualty work I saw only one murder.

The hospital mortuary was in the Trent Wing. We sometims would go to see the post mortems. The police ones were really interesting. I think we has 6 special fridges for the police. They moved from I think ? was it Lean side Mortuary or something. Mick would know

Interesting replies

Kind regards

Tony

• 2 months later...

I left Nottingham many moons ago but have memories of two hospitals. At the age of four I had my tonsils ( and I think) my adenoids taken out in a hospital almost in the City Centre and certainly near the Aboretum. Like the other correspondent I recall the food - soup , ice cream and all soft stuff obviously - what was that one called?

Then in the mid 70's I got tetanus after our pet cat bit me and I didnt clean the wound. I was taken by ambulance from my school to a big hospital up near Bestwood - whch one was that?

I left Nottingham many moons ago but have memories of two hospitals. At the age of four I had my tonsils ( and I think) my adenoids taken out in a hospital almost in the City Centre and certainly near the Aboretum. Like the other correspondent I recall the food - soup , ice cream and all soft stuff obviously - what was that one called?

Then in the mid 70's I got tetanus after our pet cat bit me and I didnt clean the wound. I was taken by ambulance from my school to a big hospital up near Bestwood - whch one was that?

Well, bu**er me for quoting...........

The first one was the Chaucer Street hospital, as I too had my tonsils out there in 1956. The building is still there but obviously has new tenants.

The second one is the current City Hospital.

Re Children's Hospital, had been to Ear Nose Throat dept as a kid and at age 13 my mother took me back there about 7pm one night (on the bus!) after my finger went through the cogs of a cement mixer (an ideal adventure "toy") think of a burst sausage, Of course no emeg dept there but nurse stitched it up with no anesthetic as no doctor there, still bled and dressing rock hard, more agony and bleeding when such removed! since then (accident with stanley knife, and another with scaffold board) have took own stitches out!

Well, bu**er me for quoting...........

The first one was the Chaucer Street hospital, as I too had my tonsils out there in 1956. The building is still there but obviously has new tenants.

The second one is the current City Hospital.

Well, bu88er me for quoting too..........

That would be about the same time I had my tonsils out Frank?

Well, Bu88er me......

Bip.

• Upvote 1
  • 9 months later...

i went to the general hospital back in 75 to have my finger stitched up(should of gone to childrens but general was nearer was losing alot of blood!lol)this is how it happened!lol.my mother had gone to the chip shop late one night leaving me and my brothers home alone(dad was on nightshifts)i decided to play with a empty corned beef tin,trying to get the key off that opened it.my brother on seeing me doing this snatched it off me cutting my finger nearly off lol!my grumpy next door neighbour took me to general hospital in is bright yellow plastic pig lol.had six stiches in the little pinkie still got the scar

How many of you were forced to go up there for a chest X-ray by the Nottingham Education Commitee in the 60's when they decided that we were all suffering from TB!!!

When I was about 10 I leaned to far over the train bridge and got a piece of soot from a passing steam engine in my eye, I was dragged off to the General with terrible stories that my eye would be flicked out, the soot was painlessly removed in seconds.

The next visit was after I'd fallen off my platform shoes at Peterborough station, no breaks, just strained ligaments.

My final visit was after landing on my elbow having tripped over a low fence following too many pints of Shippoes. My arm locked in a 90 degree postion and the unsympathetic nurses attempted to straighten it prior to an X-ray, now that was agony as the effects of the beer had worn off. Strained ligaments again.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Hi- Tony, I landed up in Niel Ward in the General Hospital in c-Dec 1962, had a operation on my lower back

for a pidinal abscess on the spine, afer the op- I was taken to recoop at the Cedars on Mansfield rd sherwood

they released me on Christmas eve, what a blessing, home for some Christmas pudding, Thanks N.H.S.

Dennis.

Re the NHS and Christmas Eve, went to the city hosp for check up 6 weeks after my heart bypass on Dec 24th, sent to OP clinic where I sat along with others for well over an hour with no one going in or out of doctors room, eventually a nurse was persuaded to see what delay was, going in the room she found no doctor, he'd gone on holiday! about an hour later finally got to see his substitute, "hello how are you? no pains? ok, see you in 6 months" ! in and out in 2 mins no2

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

it sounds like the children's hospital to me,I think it was on chestnut grove,I had my tonsils and adenoids out,had to be taken back in after a fortnight as I was bleeding from my throat after eating an apple.i remember hiding porridge under the pillow on the day I was going home,I hated the stuff ,I was about 8 it was torture ,the nurse on night duty was terrible,wouldn't let you go to the toilet,then yelled when you pissed the bed.
  • Upvote 1

Nearly a 7 year bump !

The one "almost in the City Centre and certainly near the Arboretum" must've been Peel Street, which I'm certain was a women's hospital.

And the "big hospital up near Bestwood" was - and still is - the City Hospital.