Just browsing a copy of this new book written by former Arnold Town player, Roger Rann in Arnold Library yesterday. It's a lovingly told story of the early years of organised football in the town featuring the rivalry between Arnold St. Mary's and Arnold Rovers.

Rann was an excellent player for the local club with a long career playing many games for them His insights into the golden era of local football are equally accomplished. On a personal note it was extremely nostalgic for me actually seeing my friend's as a child's dad's in some of the team line-up photographs.

From an era that produced big crowds and lots of entertainment for local folk, this book is essential reading for anyone with an interest in local football in the area.

Arnold's football history

Very interesting...

Roger Rann remembered as being, along with the Gedling Colliery 'assassin' George? Kirk, as being perhaps the prominent local amateur/semi-pro footballer of the era.

I recall watching an Arnold St Mary's game in the 60's - my work colleague Barry Molyneux was a player - and being staggered by how many hundred's were spectating!

Also, during our Paviors matches at Arnold CC we had more watchers/supporters present than anywhere else.

Why have I always regarded Arnold spectating habits as being slightly sinister? :aggressive:

What is it with Arnold folk? :crazy:

Cheers

Robt P.

I think I remember Barry Molyneux, Rob. In fact I saw his face in a team photograph in the library yesterday. It was a book of local photography. Would I be correct in saying that he played in Arnold's team that beat Blackburn Rovers 3-0 in around 1967? Other Arnold players from that time would have been the likes of Joe Boucher, Bobby Tait and Peter Burton. They were a talented bunch of lads.

Roger Rann's brother Steve also played for Arnold as a goalie. I believe he's a solicitor or accountant in Arnold. I note from the article that Roger scored over 800 times in his career! I can't remember how many appearances he made but he must have had a stupendously long career at Gedling Road.

I used to be involved with the cricket club as a teenager. I always enjoyed playing on Gedling Road and found the wicket to be an excellent one. I knew the groundsman who had far more knowledge than the average council groundstaff chap about what was required to make a good cricket wicket.

I'm not sure about Arnold's spectators,they'd have to answer that for themselves. ;-) It could have been something to do with the former local Home Brewery's fine products and a certain Friar Tuck establishment. I've certainly met a lot worse (no names mentioned!)

I'm happy and interested to see the next chapter of Arnold football's story beginning to unfold up the road from met at Eagle Valley. I'm sure it will enhance the sport in the area for many decades to come. With today's overpaid prima donnas on the professional football grounds I'l be tempted to go and offer them a little support on a Saturday afternoon too.

• Upvote 1

Not one hundred % but quite a few County and Forest players went to Arnold at the end of their careers, Ian Mc Culloch from Notts for one , but IMMSC Martin O'Neil ??

Don't remember Martin O'Neill but there have been quite a few Beefy. Mac was the manager for some time. Latterly the late Billy Brindley held the job. Others have been Adrian Thorpe, Brynn Gunn and Phil Starbuck (man). Currently Calvin Plummer is on the coaching staff. Going back a bit, Bobby Tait was a former Notts Co/Aberdeen/Hearts player

Devon White, Chris Freestone, Tristram Whitman and Ben Hutchinson have been some of the players that the club has produced for professional football.

I think I remember Barry Molyneux, Rob. In fact I saw his face in a team photograph in the library yesterday. It was a book of local photography. Would I be correct in saying that he played in Arnold's team that beat Blackburn Rovers 3-0 in around 1967? Other Arnold players from that time would have been the likes of Joe Boucher, Bobby Tait and Peter Burton. They were a talented bunch of lads....

Uncertain if Barry played against Blackburn, but would guess that he did so as - like the Rann Bros - he was a long serving stalwart. His son Phil was an Old Pavior who went on to play top level rugby at prop with, IIRC, Leicester Tigers.

The Arnold wicket was certainly a 'belter', even I scored runs there!

Another superb wicket was at John Player's on Aspley Lane, with many Notts II games being played.

Boots at Lady Bay...ditto. All famously described as "like batting on the M1!"

Cheers

Robt P.

Seem to think that that Martin O'Neill did play a few games at Arnold between leaving Norwich City and becoming manager of Grantham Town...I'll try to find his biography, somewhere on my dusty bookshelves!

IIRC, some Notts & Forest players from the 50's also finished their playing careers at Arnold...

Bill Whare (he was landlord at the Waggon & Horses, Redhill), Bill Morley, Gerry Carver & John Sheridan spring to mind.

Cheers

Robt P.

Thanks Rob (It was just a vague recollection on my part!!)

Devon White was a player whos carreer I folowed quite avidly as I worked with his dad, (Great bloke ,Jerry) and he was pleased as punch to show us his lads regular press cuttings.

I was even happier when "Bruno" signed for Notts in the early 90s and we became great pals too. Not the best of players (A bit of a slogger to tell the truth ) but a great mate, to anybody who took the time to say hello.

One night out in Nott'm, it took us about 1/2 an hour to get from "The Fountain" to "Yates" because he stopped to shake hands and say hello to everyone who said Ayup to him!!!