Missing Village on A52?

I refer to the area around the turning to Bassingfield, aprox mid way between Nottingham and Radcliffe on Trent, on both sides of A52 but not facing each other, are various old properties inc a school, old garage site, former police station as well as some houses, I wonder perhaps if the old nottingham to newark road went through this "village" in a series of " S" bends, and in straightening the road and making such dual carriageway they pulled down property on one side then as bend went opposite way demolished property on the opposing side of old road? have not been able to find maps to confirm my idea, anyone recall such?

My 1921 OS map carries a name besides these buidings as Holme...could relate to their adjacency to Holme Peirrepoint, to which there was a road from the A52 further eastward, opposite today's Cotgrave turn.

No evidence then of any 'S' bends between Gamston and Radcliffe..

Cheers

Robt P.

thanks for replies, maybe "S" bend was wrong description? if you know where I mean you'll know there are old houses on to nottingham side of the road and former school, garage, cottage etc on to newark side but further towards newark, if you imagine the road where the houses are (to the west lane) as being the site of the original 2 way road and outside the old school (to east lane) as position of old road there there would I think have been a double curve between those points? ie the dual carrige way was created by adding extra lane first to left, then to the right and maybe inbetween there would be properties demolished? Bit long winded but hope you get the idea? the road Sandy Lane opposite stragglethorpe road (to cotgrave) is still there but I think just a bridle path now, it leads to adbolton lane that led from trent boulevard, I think those 2 roads plus "The Green" in Radcliffe on Trent were once the main road to that village?

• 1 year later...

Thanks Mick, heard not more re such, but am reminded of another one I was told about when I lived in the area, even told it's name (which I've forgotten!) but it appears long before the ring road, Wilkinson Street or Whitemoor estate there was a "village" around the area where Whitemoor Avenue (which ran from opposite Murphy's on Alpine Street Old Basford) joins Nuthall Rd, there are still at least 3 former churches/chapel's there, a old garage, various shops etc, a former post office, but few houses bar Cyril and Albert Avenues of a similar era to warrant such? I do recall a row of terraced cottages on Whitemoor Avenue itself still there in the 1960's. Also told a plane crashed pre WW11 on Nuthall Rd in that area!, mind you have heard similar of Haydn Rd, inc a bomb found in the resevoir on same road.

Thanks, seems odd that "the 2 lines of buildings" ( the houses and police house on one side, the school etc the other) are so far apart? maybe they just had long gardens? As regards whitemoor is that fork top of page the start of whitemoor avenue? I guess the "skin yard" was to do with Wades leather works? (did you know they had their own railway siding into their yard) does your book contain plan of church st level crossing at old basford?

Thanks, seems odd that "the 2 lines of buildings" ( the houses and police house on one side, the school etc the other) are so far apart? maybe they just had long gardens? As regards whitemoor is that fork top of page the start of whitemoor avenue? I guess the "skin yard" was to do with Wades leather works? (did you know they had their own railway siding into their yard) does your book contain plan of church st level crossing at old basford?

It isn't my book you can go there too.

It's all here My link It's a bit slow and clunky to get the end result so be prepared to wait for things to happen

And now you know where I got them from you can spend hours looking at it yourself

On the A52 map, note also you can just see a reference to a "Fox and Crown Inn" on the south side of the road

Here's a slightly adjusted version of the Whitemoor map with more of Whitemoor Avenue

whitemoor2.jpg

And here's Basford from about the same time. No crossing, already a bridge

basford.jpg

• 3 years later...

Us and the cooksies spent alot of our summer holidays walking from the meadows to what was then narrow country roads gamston bassingfield tollerton farms and fields were a plenty then they built that whacking bypass.oh how things change .

Am still wondering why the road is so "wide" at that point? think I'm right assuming the houses there long before the dual carriageway and before the latter there was just a 2 way traffic one? Tend now to think the properties, houses garage school etc had lots of land (in the case of the houses long front gardens) and such taken for the added 2 lanes?

Ashley dont know exactly where you are refering to cos i ant been there for years but what used to be radliffe by pass the road that run fro radcliffe rd west bridgeford to radliffe on trent going to radcliffe on trent from nottingham just after gamston there was a llane on the left hand side that my dad used when he worked for hovringham and later topmix it was holme pierpoint quarry prior to the water sports centre being built there was quite a wide lane there it had massive pitholes where the lorries had damaged going up and down all day.

forgot to say right at the end of trent boulevard was a very nanarrow pot holed road that also led to quarry i think nowadays theres a proper rd there that leads to water sports centre everyting was countryside when i was a kid it was absolutely lovely in summer but absolutely bitter in the winter.

Whats that club called at the other end of trent boulevard.

Am still wondering why the road is so "wide" at that point? think I'm right assuming the houses there long before the dual carriageway and before the latter there was just a 2 way traffic one? Tend now to think the properties, houses garage school etc had lots of land (in the case of the houses long front gardens) and such taken for the added 2 lanes?

Glad this subject has come back because I can get better old maps for it now. This is 1920s, and clearly shows a 'village' called Holme Lane. The stream I've marked going under Polser Bridge can be seen on Google today and is called Polser Brook.

bassing.jpg

The lane from the the Hoveringham Gravels quarry to the A52 was built in the late 50's, before then the lorries used to go along Holme Lan and along Trent Boulevard, or south along Holme Lane to the A52 at the Holme Pierrepoint junction. They used to ruin the roads.

• 9 years later...

A blast from the past, digging up an old thread which was started by Ashley, who is sadly no longer with us.  Whilst looking for something else, I've found the answer to his original question from 15 years ago.

There was indeed a village in the location mentioned, named Holme Lane. It's marked on old maps, and some of the houses are still there.

https://goo.gl/maps/aLezhA6Ap7MLiH8i8

Proper old-school Nottstalgia stuff.