Firbeck School Forum Area

Seems to me we need to have a Firbeck Schools forum,

Could we get some members in to discuss same?

I'll start one if you if you like, but I doubt whether that many people on here actually went to Firbeck.

When I started it only had 5 classrooms, 25 odd to a class I reckon, I bet there's no more than half a dozen people on here that had anything to do with the school.

Firbeck School is in Wollaton near where Balloon Woods was (on the Firbeck estate)

it would be interesting to find out who on here went there?

• 11 months later...

Ayup Pete,

I had two cousins that went to Firbeck school, must have been in the 50s/60s, they used to live next door to the pub on Wollaton road I think it was the Balloon but I may be wrong their names were Ann and Robert I won't reveal their surname on here but if you think you know them you can PM me

Rog

Ayup Pete,

I had two cousins that went to Firbeck school, must have been in the 50s/60s.

Rog

Rog

When I started at Firbeck Infants in 1955, the kids on the other side of Trowell Road were sent to the junior school up Cockington Road. It wasn't until a couple of years later that a lollipop lady was employed on the main road and all the kids from the Trowell Avenue area were transferred to Firbeck.

I think I know who you mean, you could be able to answer a few questions, so I'll e-mail you about them, coincidence if it's the same kids.

Mick

It looks like very few from Firbeck and apart from me, none from BGS either.

This one's for Plantfit:-

scan0006-1.jpg

Your cousin is third row back from the front, fifth from the left, she doesn't look as tall as I remember.

Strange how our gang all managed to get sat down together on the front row.

This is Grade 4, probably taken in 1960, I think I can remember most of their names.

The teacher is Mr Galloway, the gentleman who introduced Henry Newton to the footballing world.

The dinner shutters that we are pictured in front of are the one's that Mr Galloway encouraged us to kick the ball hard at during PE and footie training with the promise of £20 if we broke them. I'm convinced that's why Henry Newton had such a powerful shot, he never got his £20 though, nobody did.

Bloody hell, this editing is useless, I'll have to start again.

Our gang on the front row from left to right in case you know any of them.

Firbeck, the wonderful and loveable 'hard man' Mark Miller, the first of the Withey twins, Brian, the studious one, Chris Fletcher, not quite in the gang and left Nottingham shortly after, where are you now Chris, Barry Withey, up for owt, the adventures that we had together!!!!! carrying on into later life, Andy Nettleton, then recently arrived at the hardware shop on the corner of Park Crescent, looks to be having a premonition about the state of those motorway bridges he will be designing 12 years in the future, my then best mate Ian Hutchings, another twin, his sister is third row back, 8 from the left end, I haven't forgotten when you read certain extracts from Lady Chatterleys Lover to me, Diane, when it was still banned, Bip will choke on his dinner.

Any one recall any of these kids, I know the whereabouts of most of the front row, I'd love to know what happened to Mark Miller, I have particular reasons for that, his family wasn't well off, he wasn't academic, he couldn't care less, the system couldn't cope with that and wrote him off, despite his love of life and knowledge and enthusiasm for everything going.

I hope he ended up as a Professor of Philosophy at Cambridge, it wouldn't surprise me.

• 5 years later...