• 11 months later...

just re read this posts and so i thought iwould add a comment on the school from about 10 years ago when i worked at balloon woods playcentre there was lots of inter action between us and the schooll we would go in and do lunchtime play sessions and the children who had good reports for something that week would come across to play or do crafts at the centre as a treat on a friday afternoon miss read was the head misstress then, the school although an ordanery primary school had several deaf children and all the children from nursery age were tought b.s.l. encourging good iteraction from the word go in and out of school when they came over to play on the centre in the evenings and weekends, some of the children achived level 3 or 4 by the time the moved on to senior schools age 12 yearsno mean fete i can tell you i only managed level 2 and that was hard. i only wish i had that oppertunity as a child

• 10 months later...

Hi, i attended Firbeck School from 1970 to the end of 1971 where i sat and passed my 11+ exam.

This was my first state school after coming from overseas schools for army children. it was a bit of an eye opener, the army schools being quite sheltered, also living on the Ballon Wood estate was a shock even though it was reasonably newly built.

It took me a long time to settle in and many months before i started maiking friends, im sorry the names of whom i dont remember.

I do however remember Mr Lomas the headmaster at the time, who was a bit of a tyrant and quite unpredictable to when he would go off on one.

I recall he preferred his name to be prononuced the french way and when he spoke he would often have a bit of spittle stuck between his top and lower lip.

Ian.

• 1 year later...

went to firbeck from about 1956 to 1960 ish - mr galloway was my 'inspirational teacher' - always praising my drawing and writing etc and telling my dad i was 'university material -

anyway some 40 years later I met him and try as he might he couldn't remember me but then all of a sudden it came to him and he said "ah I remember you now, you're the boy who couldn't throw a cricket ball!'

ps all memories of balloon woods / jacko's 'oller / hemlock stone and beyond will be gratefully received as I'm trying to piece together an entertaining and fascinating history of the area before it fizzles away

www.michaelcox.info

Welcome to Nottstalgia :)

?????....

Biography

Michael Cox is over five metres tall and was born in Sherwood, Nottingham (maternity hospital, not forest). In the mid 1990s he won a Scholastic-Independent 'Story of the Year' award for 'Little Fred Riding Hood' and, some time later, (about two minutes), he gave up his teaching job and began writing on a full-time basis.
  • 2 years later...

Attended Firbeck  primary 1955 kindy and was friends with Peter, Ann and Robert of Trowell road and Edward in my street who's mum was the " lollipop" lady. I would love some photos as I am now in Australia and have none.

If anyone has photos from 1955 -61 when I attended Firbeck School (found one with me in it with Mr. Galloway) not sure what year this was though (memory blank maybe 5th class?)

Also my sister attended there from 61-66 when we left to come to Australia. Any infomation of friends, names etc in these years would be appreciated.

Linda50

Wanted photos of classes of Firbeck School 1955-1966 or friends of Birchwood Road, Trowell Road in those years.

Linda,did you manage to get in touch with Bilbraborn? he's not on here so often just lately but might be worth a go

Rog

• 8 months later...

Glad to find this forum's still active. I've just found a super photo of a Firbeck class labelled 1952. I must have gone there (from the Russell school) between 1951 and '54, so the school would have been brand new. Still live in Wollaton today. I can name most of the pupils - but not in touch with any now. A suprising number of the bright boys on the front row went on to Nottingham High School - and perhaps greater things.

Peter (front row extreme right).

Firbeck School 1952 miniscule.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
On 7/10/2011 at 3:17 PM, salty said:

just to let you know my family are firbeck legends, the salt family, other firbeck legends include:

manhole mick

shoveller len (smith)

the smith family

the lowe famly

the moss family

the mcteage family

the hutchinsons

the cliffords

mr gibby

mr parkinson

dorry and bunny (ballo0n hotel)

jack the butcher

mr oscroft(paper shop)

Reg at the grocers

the malin family

firbeck park

rossy the local copper

and now dippy.....the lying grocer

I no them all cause I am a legend too

• 3 months later...
On 7/10/2011 at 3:17 PM, salty said:

just to let you know my family are firbeck legends, the salt family, other firbeck legends include:

manhole mick

shoveller len (smith)

the smith family

the lowe famly

the moss family

the mcteage family

the hutchinsons

the cliffords

mr gibby

mr parkinson

dorry and bunny (ballo0n hotel)

jack the butcher

mr oscroft(paper shop)

Reg at the grocers

the malin family

firbeck park

rossy the local copper

and now dippy.....the lying grocer

Shoveller lenny was my grandad made my day seeing this.

• Like 2

Eight years after the original post, we get a reaction like that. Salty only ever made 3 posts, all on the same day in July 2011.

Nottstalgia still has those hidden gems waiting to be re-discovered. (and I'm not talking about Ben).

• Like 3
  • 9 months later...