Mayors Of Nottinghamshire.

Hello people of Nottinghamshire!

This is my first post by the way.

I am researching my family history and my great grandfather was a mayor in Nottinghamshire.

I have no idea where of though!

I have a picture of him with the mayor's chain and emblem on.

I have put a picture of the chain emblem in the attachments to see if it can jog anyones memory.

It won't let me put the full picture because it is too big. But if you would like to see it, my email address is XXXXXXXXXXXX

His name was Arthur James Gilbert, he was born in Buckinghamshire in 1893 and looks around 50-60 years old in the picture, so i'm guessing it is 1940's or 50's.

Thank you if you can help me in anyway.

Josh

post-1625-1221687887_thumb.jpg

Until 1974 only Municipal Boroughs had mayors. Urban and Rural districts had chairmen. I think I can just make out the word Chairman on the scroll at the top of the badge. So my bet is that, given the modesty of the design, that this is in fact part of a UDC/RDC's regalia.

Nottinghamshire's Municipal Boroughs were: Mansfield, Newark, Worksop and East Retford.

civic heraldry

There is a list of defunct local authorities on Wiki.

I still can't read the writing any one else (I blow it up to 1000% and it pixels out so forget that method

....We know he lived in Tuxford...

Wouldn't that make East Retford the red hot guess for a Municipal and Bassetlaw the RDC, with Newark/Newark and Sherwood second favourite?

Cheers

Robt P.

Wouldn't that make East Retford the red hot guess for a Municipal and Bassetlaw the RDC, with Newark/Newark and Sherwood second favourite?

Cheers

Robt P.

I have contacted a lot of people in the Bassetlaw area. On the chain it has the letters E.R which could stand for East Retford?

I am in the process of contacting Notts Heritage. The problem is there are very few pictures of Mayors and Councillors so i can't match the chain, plus i am in Northants so don't know anything about Nottinghamshire.

Tuxford was one of the constituent parishes of East Retford Rural District Council, so I think that is your best bet. I would imagine that Bassetlaw District Council (the post '74 local authority for Tuxford) still has the old authority's regalia. Try calling the Mayor's office I'm sure they would be very helpful.