In the late 50's during my teen years, I went off tracks for a while and went around with a crowd in that area, any names ring a bell?

Kenny Brant who went in the Navy, but later to Lincoln prison after biting a piece of a constables ear off,

Malcolm Cotis (aka Bellamy), Alan Glenn and Keith Daws who were in my class at the Ellis.

When the wakes was on at Billy B's we used to occupy the walkway at the top of the waltzer steps.

We often used to venture to Bulwell and face a crowd led by a man mountain, Big Bev.

Fortunately I went into the army in 1959, otherwise?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Big game?  

Yo, Martyn, I remember Kenny, and Malc, can't recall Alan though, Keith lived on Queen street, he's a little older than me, I used to hang around with his younger brother Adrian, I can remember Big Bev too.

You must remember Freddy Dawson and Alan Leverton, they were usually in company with Kenny and 'Cotaz' along with a few others, bet you had a few M&B's in the Bleachers Arms [AKA 'The Bloodtub'] on Lincoln street ?

!englandflag!

Hi Bill,

Yes I remember the names, but can't put faces to them.

I don't think I did use the pub, I was only 16 in 1959 and went into the army as a boy soldier, just as well really.

Was there a club or rooms at the top of Carlton Street on a corner? where we used to go and hang around, dance and listen to music some evenings?

Do you know what happened to Kenny or Malc, didn't Keith join the army?

Kenny could certainly look after himself, the fastest feet around!

Martyn:

The pub was still there in the mid 60's, it was a popular meeting place for all the Basford lads [and gals]

The 'club' you refer to was, I believe, the HQ of the 44th Nottm scouts at the top of Cowley street.

[There's an old piccie of the building on 'Picture the past', page 37, in images of Basford, I don't know how to post links yet, so you'll have to look for yourself.]

Lost contact with almost all the old lads [and lasses] when I left Basford in the mid 60's to live in Bulwell after I got married.

used to drink in the back room of the blood tub early sixties, anyone remenber Dickie Milton, Big Bill both used to work at Flewitts Timber. Dave used to live in the cottages at back of the Futurist cinema ?

Ayup Alan, I can remember the 'Flewitts lads', they played darts with my dad.

Who was the landlord when you used the pub ?

The years you refer to it would probably be Mr/Mrs Limb, their son Douglas was a good singer, and I used to accompany him on the guitar in the back room at weekends, Rock 'n' Roll, Yay!.

Before the Limb's, the landlord was Reg Sheppard, his son Ray was a 'peace-keeper' in the event of any sign of trouble, Ray could handle himself and could always rely on the 'regulars' to back him up, if needed.

Pre 60's there was a blind guy [Johnny ?] played the piano in the bar, he was really good.

funny, I always thought there was a "corrugated iron" bungalow on corner of cowley st? I remember seeing it, (think I explored it?) but must have been after scout hq pulled down, was it in gap between that and Murphy's? Anyone remember a bike shop called Martins in Old Basford? I don't, but around 1960 I took a bike frame (didn't know what it was and can't recall even where it came from!) to be sprayed at AC Sports (Paramount) on Haydn Road, chap there said it was a Martins and when I got it back it had his gold transfers on it! caused quite a stir to have "made in old basford" bike in sheds at Claremont and at Nottingham Road Club

Hi Bill,

Cowley Street, that sounds like it, was it a very steep incline?

Was the wood yard the one on Valley Road opposite the Futurist?

I remember we used to go in there at night and climb up the mountains of planks, I used to go to Scotland Place school just along. I believe there was a fire in the yard around then, but nothing to do with me Guv, honest.

I actually lived along Valley Road just past Ventnor Rise, but spent a lot of time in Old Basford after being "transferred" from the High Pavement to the Ellis in 56/57.

Didn't Malc live up Stockhill Road / Circus?

Cheers mate.

Ashley, the location of the scout HQ is now a grassed area about 50yds x 25yds, there may have been a 'bungalow' there at some time but I can't recall it, Martins bike shop was on David Lane a few yards down from Coombes cobblers shop which was on the corner of Lincoln st/David lane.

Mr Martin smoked an evil smelling pipe...:biggrin:...he ran a bike club called the Basford Wheelers for several years.

Didn't know he made bike frames though, his shop was a very small converted terraced house.

Martyn, Yep, Cowley street is a steep hill, all the streets between Lincoln st and Percy st were steep hills but Cowley was the steepest.

As you come along Lincoln st from Basford crossings you get to the old post office where you turn left onto Billy Bacons, Cowley st is directly opposite, halfway up on the left is the Nottm Ambulance Service workshop, at the top on the right is the Lord Nelson pub.

After conquering that hill, you need a drink...[any excuse for a pint]..:biggrin:

The woodyard was next to Rose Brothers shop on Lincoln street just after the Bleachers Arms, but there was a woodyard near the Futurist too.

Malc was all over the place, he did have some friends/relatives in the Stockhill area, but as I recall, when we parted company after a night out he usually made his way 'home' over the crossings towards the Heathfield estate.

Re Martins and "The Bungalow" Maybe he just had the transfers for s/h bikes he sold? then again thinking about it how would AC Sports know it was a Martins frame? I recall very light with fancy "curly" lugwork hence respray, white with dark green panels, lovely bike when finished, green unica plastic saddle, 10 speed campags, alloy rims, headsock h/bars etc, thought I was Jaque Anquetil, That Bungalow was definitely there, Mother lived in it mid 1920,s till her marriage in 1939, prior to that lived at the restored Georgian House 10 Alpine Street, that along with 12, 14, 16 Alpine Street plus the bungalow were owned by Murphy's, My grandfather was manager there and my mother and uncle also worked there, I remember the "old" post office, remember a lorry running into it, there was an older post office later a newsagent, this was directly opposite Nottingham Road a few doors away from The Masons Arms (according to 1920's ord survey map)

Ashley: I didn't say Martins didn't make frames, just that his shop was small, but he did have a large garden at the back of his shop with some sheds.

With you mentioning 'Jaque Anquetil', and all the jazzy extras on your bike indicates that you're a cycling enthusiast ?

As I said, Martins ran a very popular cycling club and there were always lots of cyclists milling around his shop on 'outing days' with some fancy looking bikes.

Those houses you mentioned on Alpine street are still there, as are the other buildings opposite, though the old 'Maltings' have been turned into student accomodation.

That Lorry ran into the post office after its brakes failed coming down Cowley street, the repaired brickwork is still visible today.

I remember the newsagents next to the Masons Arms, the original buildings are still there but again they've been turned into dwellings.

Further along Lincoln street towards the crossings from Nottingham road many of the old shop premises on the right are still there too.

Yes was into bikes,for a few years before going onto motorbikes, as well as time trails and weekend camping etc used to ride daily to work (Nottingham Rd to Blackburn& Starling London Rd) My Dad did Vernon Rd to Furse in the meadows for years, and uncle well into his 40's still did Basford to Ericcsons (Plessey) Beeston. can't see many of today's kids doing that? By the way is Beryl Burton still racing? lol 12,14 and 16 Alpine St were demolished a long time ago (see Picture the past photo NTGM005810), the old newsagents and Palings Upholstery shop next door also were demolished though a lot later, don't think theres a single shop open on Lincoln Street these days? there's 4 near the crossings and 3 left nr Billy Bacons but all shut far as I know? I left old basford over 5 years ago and can recall the cafe shutting, and the chip shop after the greek who owned it died in the shop during a scuffle, not sure if "the dairy" is still open? he did some funny hours anyway but on rare occasions I go down there shutters are always down. Prior to demo of old basford I don't think you needed to have gone out "the village" for anything? On Lincoln St etc there were bakers, wet fish shops, butchers, Food shops (remember Hollingworths, had a cat with no tail! not a Manx but a glass swing door "breed"!!) a plumbers, bookies newsagents, post office, builders, electrical shop, cycle shop, cobblers, hairdressers, green grocers etc to say nothing of the pubs and beeroffs, been there lately? like downtown Basra (less the good weather)

"can't see many of today's kids doing that".....neither can I Ashley, in fact the majority of the kids, and most adults...[if that term is applicable ?] I see on bikes don't even have both wheels touching the floor, I'm expecting to see Unicycles making a comeback, it'll save pulling the front wheel in the air. LOL !

Re: the cottages on Alpine street, I got it completely wrong, the houses I mentioned are further down, just before the mucky duck pub.

Last time down Lincoln street [a few months ago] there was only one shop still trading, that's the cake shop, many years ago it was next to Frank Tatlows fruit 'n' veg shop, now it's where Godsons chemists used to be.

A "village", nah mate, more of an island... :biggrin: ...there certainly was an abundance of small [and not so small] shops, all making a living, makes one wonder how they did it ?

There was 5 butchers shops on Lincoln street between David Lane and Cowley street, I wonder if that's how the Butchers Arms got its name? plus all those others you mentioned, all that AND at Least 11 pubs bordered by Lincoln st/David Lane/Mill st/Percy st/Alpine & Church street.

Hi there Alan, saw Dave a couple of days ago, he lives about two hundred yds from me, he's a keen gardener and shows flowers and other things he grows on his allotment, the only thing I grow in my garden is....Tired... :biggrin:

I think he spent more time in the 'oss 'n' jockey than Bleachers, at least that's where I eyeballed him most.

I forget the names and which was which but there was also a pub on Nottingham Road between Church St and the railway and another on Whitemoor Road, I think the latter backed into the maltings yard, one was either The Rifleman or The Rifle Volunteer, the other The Old English Gentleman (but don't take names as gospel) this was pre 1939. There was a Slaughter House on Church Street, I think entrance is where the taxi meter firm now is? (if latter still there?) maybe that's why so many butchers? also the old "main road" Church St at side of St Leo's that now leads to the "country walk" (stolen car dump and glue sniffing meeting place when I lived near there) was shown on old maps as route to cattle pens on the railway, prior to ducting of the leen there was remains of a stone bridge (ala one at Bulwell Bogs) over the river and some sort of railway crossing as the latter there a good few years before the bridge was built. Anyway back to the racism! There were these 2 Serbo Croats, called Paddy and Mick......lol

Ashley: I can't remember any pub on Nottm rd, and the only one I can think of close to Whitemoor rd was the Barley Mow, but that was more on Basford rd.

The Old English Gentleman was on Browns Croft, see pic NTGM000261 on Picture the past it shows the pub on the left, halfway up.

[This was in the 60's]

Can you remember 'Martha' the washerwoman who lived on B-Croft ?

Had a huge mangle in her back yard, there was a bit about her in the Basford Bystander recently, brought back memories. :biggrin:

I saw a cow being killed at the Church st slaughterhouse when I was a kid, really upset me, and yes it was close to where the meter firm was, opposite the Masons Arms.

No, can't recall the washer woman as I am not from Old Basford, Dad lived on Vernon Rd Mum at that Bungalow etc, I was always New Basford 1946-1970 till I moved to Western Boulevard but as a kid took to Old Basford visiting friends etc of parents. The pubs I mentioned were favs of maternal grandad so pre 1939 possible well before? Was told of them by mum and sites of such seen on old maps when I was researching for a book I wrote, the Nottingham Road one was on the right heading towards railway after an old bakehouse that stood there till 1990's (?) I got the name wrong re Old English Gentleman

More News! found out from Stan Smith (Basford Bystander) the pub on Nottingham Rd was The Vernon Arms, assumed replaced by The Vernon Hotel on Vernon Rd? I was always told Vernon was a corruption of the word Wyvern which was the symbol of The Midland Railway who built said road from from Arnold Road to Church St, the original junction of the latter with it was half way up the rise to the railway bridge, recently built upon and formally Smithy's Scrapyard. This road was built as a "bypass" to save traffic having to cross the railway twice to get to Bulwell or Arnold. If in fact that is true (re the name) it would date that pub being built post 1848 which is the year the railway opened in Old Basford.

Will do Alan, dunno when I'll see him though, sightings of Dave are few and far between even though he's just down the road from me.

Hmm, Alan Knight, that name registers with me, can't put a face to it though, long shot...any relation to Jack Knight, former landlord of the Oxford pub on Highbury Vale ?