Lambley Jack?

There was a 'Spring heeled Jack' relating to footprints in the snow , but I thought that was the 1800s and in London

I do remember my dad saying things about "Lambley Jack" - but I have no idea what/who it refers to!

I can put all your minds to rest, I knew and use to work with a chap who we called Lambley jack only because he lived in Lambley.

Bip.

I along with the rest of you (probably) have been searching with Mr G . oogle , and all I can find is a little lane in Lambley

• 1 year later...

Can anyone recall this one. "you've got the cheek of Lambley Jack"

Yep, remember it but have no idea of the origin.

I wonder if he was related to Tom Pepper, as in 'A bigger liar than Tom Pepper.'

Den.

I'm sure theres been a thread re Lambley Jack here? I'd never heard of him but seems he was some sort of hobo type, lived off the land etc, lovable rogue, poacher etc? as regards spring heeled jack, the original story (can't be true can it?) was of some footprints in snow found on roofs in london with nothing in between as if he'd jumped some impossible distance from one house to another and so on? never heard of arnold one but neighbour swears blind him and his wife saw a bloke jumping thus in beeston rylands!

lambley jack was also a local ( ? ) reference to the devil.....cheek of the........also the footprints stories all refer that way too....been an occurance for hundreds of years........which is one of the reasons folk put the horseshoes over their doors......then comes the confusion...as dif'rent areas had the horseshoe facing dif'rent directions for dif'rent reasons.

• 1 month later...

There's a bit of a reference in a local newsletter or suchlike in The Woodlark in Lambley regarding Lambley Jack. I now have a good reason to call in and do some 'research'. ;)

The Arnold story about Spring-Heeled Jack referred to this character's his penchant for tying springs to his boots and leaping over hedgerows, surprising and annoying incognito courting couples!

Sounds a bit like Arnold to me. :)

• 5 months later...

'He's got the cheek of Lambley Jack' was said frequently in our house.

I've never heard of Spring-heeled Jack.

For some reason the Lambley jack saying always brings to mind another one:

'She's gorra mairth like a parish uvven'.

• 3 months later...

The following is taken from the description of my Geocache called Lambley Jack which is located on "Back lane" Lambley

The name “Lambley Jack” comes from a local story about a footpad (highwayman without a horse) who operated on the footpaths in the area. He was said to have been very generous with the money that he liberated from the local “well offs” and the peasants came to look on him as a mini Robin Hood.

There’s no hard evidence that Jack actually existed but it does make a good local legend. Today the “Lambley Jack’s” are a fund raising organisation who organise events to help local charities.

My family come from Lambley and the above information was passed to me from my mother/aunts/uncles

Hope it helps

Martyn

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Apparently Lambley Jack is the village's own legendary 'Robin Hood' figure. Read recently that he was supposed to be a footpad - a highwayman sans the horse - who operated locally.

As Den mentions above, he's making an appearance this coming weekend at the Cowslip Sunday celebrations in the village! I'l be taking a little cycle over there to witness the festivities. (Just like being a kid again biking to Lambley - if only my ma was here to pack me out with a bottle of fizzy water and some snap!) :)

Here's the link:

Cowslip Sunday

Someone asked if I was going through my second childhood.

I'm still enjoying my first.

Sorry Stu can't help with tips. :biggrin:

Me too Stu, ..........don't wanna be like them growed ups!! they is always moaning about sumfink or other, :cool:

• 4 years later...

hi folks newbie digging up an old thread.

i chose this thread as my first to post on for the simple fact that "lambley jack" is a main ancestor of my family.

his proper name was jack kirk also known as "jagger" kirk,

he was in fact a local poacher come thief, he was well known to the locals due to the fact he got about a bit (Arnold term, "he had a bike & like to ride it").

i first stumbled across lambley jack & after hearing both my dad & my gran talk about him many years ago when i was little.

a couple of years ago my (my now ex) wife looked into my family tree as there were links in her family to the kirk family (my lot) & after a while she came across the name jack kirk where it all seemed to start from.

the main reason i was looking into the family history was because i had been told years ago at school in calverton that my family were one of the oldest & biggest in nottingham (heard talk of this from family members over the years.

like i say my ex wife started digging & found quite a bit out but kept finding references to lambley jack.

so far i am trying to piece together what i can of the family history & also what i can find about jack.

so if anyone knows anything about the family name & about jack then please feel free to let me know.

so, yes he was a real person who's name still lives on localy.

steve.

• Upvote 4

Welcome Steve,

Your post reminded me of what my mum and dad used to say when I was a nipper.......... " Stop slaumin' around like Lambley Jack"

First time I have heard of this Kirk connection ......looking on the news archives can't see a specific mention of a Jack Kirk but anyone called John was often called nicknamed Jack .

There does seem to be a family of Kirks in Lambley often in trouble in the 1860s, for drunkeness and fighting in Lambley one in particular called James Kirk (James =Jagger??). Must be related in such a small village .

There does seem to be a family of Kirks in Lambley often in trouble in the 1860s, for drunkeness and fighting in Lambley one in particular called James Kirk (James =Jagger??).

He later calmed down and got a job on the "Starship Enterprise"