Lambley Jack?

James Kirk from Lambley married my great great aunt, Hannah Thompson who was born at Crimea Farm on Spring Lane. I don't think this James was a trouble maker but I do know there was a large family of Kirks in Lambley.

James and Hannah ended their days in Gedling Street, Mansfield. I drive past it regularly. Hannah was a very devout High Church-goer and died in 1943.

Jill there were quite a few James Kirks in Lambley in the mid 1800s .

I think the one getting into trouble lived on main street . There is a report of him fighting with his brothers William, Charles and Arthur in the village

• Upvote 1

James and Hannah were married in 1883 but not in Lambley. Their descendants are scattered all around the Mansfield area. Prior to moving there, they had lived in Cremorne Street in The Meadows.

Elsewhere in this thread it mentions that the Kirks are one of the oldest families in Nottingham. My mother's side of the family were Tomlinsons and my uncle has been able to trace the Tomlinson line back to 1649 using the Lambley parish records, so they too must have a good claim to being one of the oldest families in the area. I know that I am very proud to have Notts heritage dating back nearly 370 years.

• 7 years later...

Returning to this subject as it came up today on a FB page.

I did another old newspaper search and found an article in the S.Notts Echo of September 1922 that said Lambley Jack was the youngest son of a butcher from Lambley called Pearson.

The article basically said that young Jack Pearson was a bit of a daredevil youth who did such japes as taming charging bulls and "walking" across the Trent by a method of strapping his boots to the inside bottom of wooden buckets and striding across , at the site of where Gunthorpe Bridge is now.

It was also claimed he was one of the first to enter Nottingham Castle when it was set on fire during the riots of 1831 and that he had died after debris, including molten lead ,fell on him.

This is probably fanciful hearsay as I can see two deaths and inquests from 1831 but the names given of the deceased were 2 young boys , one called John Kilbourne and the other Sydney Nix who had gone looking for souvenirs in the debris and were crushed and burnt by falling masonry. No mention of a John or Jack Pearson.

• Like 1

My mother's family came from Lambley in the mid to very late 1800s. The only Pearson I've come across in my researches was the vicar of Holy Trinity, Lambley. I've heard a few tales about him that are a bit scurrilous for a man of the cloth, if true.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

The only Pearson I've come across in my researches was the vicar of Holy Trinity, Lambley. 

Yes that vicars name kept coming up in the newspaper searches, couldn't find anything about other Pearsons from Lambley.

Them do say he were responsible for a fair few little barstewards.  One was born of a distant relative of mine. Little Emily, she was known as. Apparently, she was a bit simple and used to do odd chores around the rectory. I've heard it called some things!

• Like 1

Ha ! Unfortunately those stories didn't get published ! :biggrin:

Somewhere, I have a photo of Little Emily.  Someone in the family also had a book that was presented as a Sunday school prize by the Revd Pearson. I have a photo somewhere of the inscription he wrote on the flyleaf.  The distant relatives concerned lived at Burton Joyce and had a mine of information which I duly noted down, years ago now.

That has just made me think of Jean Nicholson who was a well known Nottingham historian and genealogist, now deceased.  I taught Jean's two grandchildren when I was at Calverton. Jean and I were chatting about Lambley and when she discovered my family connection there, she lent me the thesis she had written on Lambley local history. Many of my relatives were mentioned in it and Revd Pearson certainly was. She had also taken many photos of the village before it changed so much.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1