An Expats view of Nottingham

You were a Henry Mellish lad? I went to Brincliffe and when we were in the fifth form we had ballroom dancing lessons with your lower sixth.

After hockey, last lesson on a Friday afternoon. As we came straight from hockey I suspect we were less than fragrant. No showers, you see!

Long before your time though. I left in 1960!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: #41. Guilty as charged M'Lud. It's just a habit from another forum where I don't get moaned at within 3 or 4 posts of bringing my scintillating wit, charm, intelligence, integrity, good looks a

I lived on Bestwood Estate and went to High Pavement from 1960-1965. My Mum lived on Bestwood Estate for over 60 years from about 1951 to 2011, when she was obliged to move into a care home. Sadly

# 39 and # 45 I know Grahame Wyville, he's in the Billy Fury Tribute Band 'Halfway to Paradise' and is a fantastic cabinet-maker. I first knew him late 60s early 70s when he was in Mosaic Sunset and

Lovely pics, thanks so much. I loved the Markets on a Saturday, like most kids I was amazed at the Guy selling crockery, he used to bang them on the tea chest and they never broke!!!Thanks Kath, I would love anything to do with Basford, when I was 11 I was transfered from Springfield Junior school to Ellis on Bar Lane at Basford.I spent a lot of my Teen years at Basford and had many Pals.Talking of Henry Mellish, I got married for the 3rd time opposite there in 1986 at the Register Office, my 1st marriage was in 1967 at St.Marys on the hill in Bulwell, 2nd marriage was at Shakespeare St and I am sorry to say I cant remember the year...Needless to say, there wont be a 4th.... thumbsdown

Keep the pics coming, they are great..Thanks.

Owdtite.

!bravo! Rob.....just re-read what i put......

We didn't do typing tho.......and it was a long while ago.

Plus i got confused as there is no 'margin' to show my working out.

Re The Basford Bystander, the "powers that be" than ran such fell out with me after I produced a spoof version, only meant it as a laugh but they objected to my stories, "U boat found in River Leen" "Basford House to become young offenders day centre" after that I produced my own version (sorry re poor copy of such)

binliner.jpg

• 1 year later...

Many of you on this forum, like me, no longer live in 'The City of Dreams'. Do many of you go back very often, how do you view the place if you do.

I was born in Wollaton in 1950, I had a great childhood, I went on to Bilborough Grammar, surfed the pubs in the late 60's, lurked around the Boat Club, the Uni, the Poly, had a lot of fun, had a missing period when I went to college then came back for 5 years, lived life to the full, thoroughly enjoyed it then ended up Daan Saaf.

Ever since, it's been difficult to get involved, you go and spend the odd weekend with your parents and do what they want you to do, it's not the same.

Unbelievably, my Essex son chose to go to Nottingham University, I've visited, but it's not the same is it. He takes control, I've been on a pub crawl but it's like going to the moon, I've had my moments, but things are so different. My best moment was on my last visit, I made him and his pals go for a hike up Mam Tor in a blizzard, they loved it, but it doesn't reconcile an old git with the fun pubs he once loved, they don't exist anymore, sad, but not unexpected is it.

So what are you 'expats' relationships with the place, is it on another planet, or what, I'd like to know what you think.

My experiences are similar to you Firbeck.Born in 1953 I lived in the "Medders" - the "posh" end mind, with the big 3 floor terrace houses and my dad was the first ever in his family to get a mortgage. Went to Trent Bridge Junior School then in 1963 we moved to Carlton (Douglas Ave) A very happy year at Parkdale Primary then I passed my 11+ and went off to Carlton Le Willows Grammar. Absolutely hated the 7 years I was there. Then from Sept 71 a four year stint in Manchester at Teacher Training College.Dont know whats happened to the last 40 years and now I am about to stop working. I have been back every year to see family, sadly lost touch with friends in the dim and distant past. I still have great affection for Nottingham but doubt I would ever move back.Living in a big city like Manchester has it benefits but now I would really like to move out to leafy Cheshire. I used to take back Pork Farms Pies and Sausages but you can buy em anywhere now in Marks and Sparks and they DONT taste the same. Never did miss Nottingham beer and thats why I became a lager lout. Still love Birds trifles. I am coming down again in a just a few weeks and will go back for one last trip to Goose Fair in the autumn I will always have the greatest affection and respect for Nottingham but there is a famous saying .. Never look back, and certainly never go back..... Except maybe for the odd day or two! I am sure I would still be living in Nottingham if I had trained at the local college - but leaving home was the making of me and I dont regret it one bit.

• 3 months later...

Great pictures of Bulwell, just about the time I left, skirts were going up. The traction poles for the trolleys still there but stinking diesels in use. I used to climb up into the curves of the walls of Henry Mellish (Who was he?). Some of the pupils came by train to Basford North, from Kimberley etc. It was a good looking school then. I had to go past it to High Pavement on Stanley Road, and later to Bestwood Estate.

• 4 years later...

Great pictures of Bulwell, just about the time I left, skirts were going up. The traction poles for the trolleys still there but stinking diesels in use. I used to climb up into the curves of the walls of Henry Mellish (Who was he?). Some of the pupils came by train to Basford North, from Kimberley etc. It was a good looking school then. I had to go past it to High Pavement on Stanley Road, and later to Bestwood Estate.

I lived on Bestwood Estate and went to High Pavement from 1960-1965. My Mum lived on Bestwood Estate for over 60 years from about 1951 to 2011, when she was obliged to move into a care home. Sadly she passed away on 26th August.

I left Nottm around 1970-71 and after a bit of wandering I've lived in Lancs ever since, close to Wigan and St Helens in a little place called Billinge. Whilst I'm not anti-progress, some of the planning decisions in Nottm are grotesque in ways which make Python look positively sane. I well recall coming out of Midland Station onto Arkwright St in the very early 70s to find that some idiot had plonked Broad Marsh Shopping centre in my way. In whose universe did that monstrosity make any sort of sense?

Who was the genius who approved the demolition of Drury Hill? It was a gem which in any other city would now be a major tourist draw.

On a smaller scale. Bulwel Forest Golf Course used to be heathland. Heathland of that sort is an increasingly rare habitat, but the Golf course now looks horrible. OK, I accept the need for fences to stop golf balls hitting the ever increasing traffic along Hucknall Rd. (A couple of cars an hour when I was a lad), but all those trees are just wrong, and have changed the character of the place for the worse.

Bulwell. In some ways I'm amazed that so many fine old Bulwell Stone buildings still exist, but they did a sort of 'mini Maid Marion Way', when they just pushed 'Bulwell High Road' through, completely disrupting the way the town worked.

I could go on but I doubt anyone is listening..... madashell

Col.

• Upvote 2

I was born on LEYBOURNE drive DJ360 and lived on the Estate till 1967,what road did you live on?

just seen the other thread Southglade was'nt it, bet i know you, knew most folk on Southglade either from school or when i worked at Marsdens on Andover.

I was at High Pavement from 1961 to 1966, so a year below you, DJ360.

Then you'd have been in the same year as Dave Armstrong and Grahame Wyville?

Col

I was born on LEYBOURNE drive DJ360 and lived on the Estate till 1967,what road did you live on?

just seen the other thread Southglade was'nt it, bet i know you, knew most folk on Southglade either from school or when i worked at Marsdens on Andover.

Have you posted about Marsden's on 'Stuart Frew's site?

Would the ones guilty of too much quoting PLEASE reduce it, it fills the servers up with useless data. Mick has to pay for the server space.

PLEASE use #30 or whatever post number to denote the post you are replying to.

Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 1

I've just read that on another topic, don't waste space !!!!!

• Upvote 1

Re: #41.

Guilty as charged M'Lud. :sorry:

It's just a habit from another forum where I don't get moaned at within 3 or 4 posts of bringing my scintillating wit, charm, intelligence, integrity, good looks and limitless knowledge back for the benefit of al!! :laugh:

Col.

• Upvote 3

# 39 and # 45

I know Grahame Wyville, he's in the Billy Fury Tribute Band 'Halfway to Paradise' and is a fantastic cabinet-maker. I first knew him late 60s early 70s when he was in Mosaic Sunset and they used to practice in Thorn Bendix works canteen.

• Upvote 2

@ #47 and 47.

Yep! That's Graham. Last time I saw him he drove me up to the Charlie II in an ancient Renault Dauphin. About '71 I reckon. Have had a few emails since including hearing of the sad death of his Bro Bob, who was a very good friend at school.

I recall fab evenings above their parent's shop in Andover Rd in the mid 60s. Listening to Buddy Holly and tape recordings of Beatles BBC shows.

Seems so long ago.

Well actually it was. More than half a century. 'Gulp' :ohmy:

Col

• 1 year later...

#45 Dave Armstrong was in Woodthorpe House I think. I was in Sherwood. Never any good at sport but we won a lot of the House Play Competitions - and then the school plays. 'The Tempest' Volpone, The Jew of Malta, Penny For a Song, The Italian Straw Hat! Happy days.  

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the 'info' Brommers and welcome to NS.  I was in Sherwood House too.  Although we were near neighbours and Dave was only a year or so below me, I don't have any memory of him at school.  I do recall him buying a car around 1970 ish and the last time I saw him was in the Deerstalker pub at the bottom of the street.  Think he said he'd joined the Police.  Never seen him since and no idea what happened to him.

I was hopeless at sport too apart from middle/long distance running.  Always a useful skill if you can't fight! ;) 

Couldn't act either, but our class did rather well in (I think) third year when our then English teacher the novelist Stanley Middleton, produced a good excerpt from Hamlet.

Col