Building Rise Park in 1976

I was chatting to someone today about my working in Nottingham in 1976,,,,,

I was in the building trade & had a job working on the building of Rise Park.

There was a pub on the corner at the bottom of where we were working,,,, but I can't recall what it was called.

I don't know the actual building company - but the foreman of the job was called VAL,,,,

A good mate I made also worked there, by the name of Harry - who lived in Arnold.

now for the questions - anyone know:

1/ what that pub was called

2/ what the first few streets were called

3/ who this 'Harry' might have been ?

4/ anything else from around late '76 & Rise Park ?

Baz

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can offer a few definitive dates and historical details for the Rise Park area.   Both Rise Farm and Top Valley farm were up for sale in 1940 but went unsold and were withdrawn from the ma

Well, permit me to blow my own trumpet ……. I was Victrix Ludorum twice at school.  However I’ve done very little running since leaving school but I can run for a bus when necessary! 

I've had a play with Kev's pic, using 'Paint' in Windows 7... then saving to my Flickr A/C so I can share it here. Not brilliant.. but I've managed to label a few things. Click on the image for a larg

The pub was almost certainly the Charles II as it was the only one on the estate, though the Duke of St Albans is just up the road in Warren Hill area. Charles II is long since closed and boarded up, with the building on the market for approx £500k.

As regards street names, these can be found on the maps page of my web site at

http://www.risepark.plus.com/map_of_rise_park.htm

Hover mouse over the spot marked "Shops and Buses" to see photo of the area as it is now, with Charles pub partly hidden just behind the bus at the terminus.

Or view more detailed photos of the pub on the "Pictures Old and New" page.

As regards building of the estate, I have been looking for old photos (without success), to add to the Bygones page. Any out there ???

(Picture the Past has none either - apart from the aerial shot used).

Clicking signature below will go to Home page

I don't recall all those shops at the time Tel,,,,, but if the pub that I used is behind that bus,,,,, the part of the site that I worked on must be just behind those shops,,,, to the right a bit.

The formans hut was on a corner on the right, & the road went up up quite a steepish hill.

It was steep enough for the road roller to slip and skid down it whilst installing the road/tarmac etc.

-----::-----

Anyone else on here work on that site under Val ?

I worked on the Rise Park estate in 1967 when I left school. The estate started at the bottom of the hill near to Hucknall Road. One of the first roads was Brownlow Drive which runs from the bottom of the hill to the top in a crescent semi circle.

At the time, the shops and Charles II was also being built. The only other buildings in the area were the WestGlade and EastGlade schools. The rest was just fields. Rise Park to the right of the main road was built later, then Pine Hill, Heronridge and then Top Valley, which I think consisted of 5 phases. Bigwood and Warren hill followed after.

I remember years later when we moved to Heronridge (1975) that some of Rise Park was featured in a film and on the closing shots from high up on Brownlow, our house could be seen. Not possible now as all the trees etc would block the view.

Anyone remember seeing Rise Park in a film circa late 70's early 80's??

Did you work under VAL then Frank ? A pretty decent fella by all accounts.

You must have known this Harry also. Always had a grin on his face,,,,, short tight curly hair !

There were two of us at the beginning - a cornish mate & I - but he left for home not long after.

Does the name 'Enness & Co' ring any bells ? Were they the builders responsible for construction of the estate?

If so, are they still around, and might they have any information.

Seems to be a firm of that name in Leicestershire, but only newly incorporated according to my internet search!

No recollection of filming, but a little bit before my time here.

...Does the name 'Enness & Co' ring any bells ? Were they the builders responsible for construction of the estate?...

Enniss...

Also built Bingham's Holme Farm estate in the mid 60's...they of the louvred windows...

Went bust in the 70's, with dozens still chasing warranty work!

Cheers

Robt P.

Did you work under VAL then Frank ? A pretty decent fella by all accounts.

You must have known this Harry also. Always had a grin on his face,,,,, short tight curly hair !

'fraid not. I worked for the EM Gas Board as an apprentice gas fitter upon leaving school. It was the gas board who did all of the gas fitting pipework. I remember the site hut - tea mashing equipment, primus stove - and a big Tea Chest in the corner full of copper pipe offcuts!!

I think they used to call the work - carcassing - fitting the pipework as the buildings went up.

• 3 years later...

As i recall back in the mid 50s we kids from Forest side called the area 'Bakers Fields'.Bulwell Forest villa played on one of the fields after they move the cows out of the way.The team had a small wooden hut as a change room.

Does anyone remember a the name of a pub situated around the Southglade area that was built roughly about the same time as this, maybe a year or two later towards the end of the seventies. It's no longer with us, I have a notion that it burnt down some years ago? Had a younger crowd in similar to the White Hart at Daybrook.

This place is on Southglade Road opposite the leisure center...had a jar or two in there years back but can't remember the name.It's a playcenter now.Unless you mean the Deerstalker near Tescos Stu...I believe that's gone.

15496f30.jpg

Thanks but it's not the Deerstalker or the Royal Hunt (nor the Green Barrel which burnt down). It was a more recent building and I'm pretty sure it's not there any more. Not very au fait with that area but seem to remember it was somewhere in the vicinity of Southglade Leisure Centre?

• 3 weeks later...

I worked for Wimpey as a bricky on Top Valley around 1976, mainly building garden/retaining walls and bin stores.

The large retaining wall half way up Bestwood Park Drive collapsed shortly after being built (nothing to do with me) and had to be rebuilt.

• 9 months later...

How times have changed and why? So many reasons....

In the area best described as Bestwood (not the village) consisting of Pre war Bestwood Estate, Bestwood park estate, Oxclose Lane. Edwards lane, Top Valley, Warren Hill, Big Wood - Heron Ridge - and Rise Park how many pubs were there for that massive population and how many are there now.

To my memory there was Green Barrel,- the Oxclose, - Potters, - The Harvester, - Charles II - Duke of St Albans - Deerstalker - Royal Hunt - White Hart

and now I think there is only one - The Newest one ....The Duke of St Albans.

The reasons are many.... price of beer high in the pubs - affordable in the Shops. - the breathalizer - no smoking - big tellies - Sky TV - nobody to talk to - etc.

Would our dads ever have believed it wold happen. Most pubs still existing ought to be called diners rather than pubs as thats what most are.

• 1 year later...

Being a new member I spotted this old thread, about Rise Park estate. We put down a deposit for a three-bedroom bungalow in February 1971, and received a brochure from the builders, J Enness and Company, showing all of the types of houses/bungalows (all detached0available and their prices. They were:

3-bedroom house, no garage £3980

3-bedroom house, with attached garage (two models) £4295 and £4400

4-bedroom house, with garage £5150

2-bedroom bungalow, no garage £4200

2-bedroom bungalow with attached garage £4650

3-bedroom bungalow, no garage £4650

3-bedroom bungalow with attached garage £4850

My neighbour has just had the roof lining on his 2-bedroom bungalow replaced - £4600 !!!

• Upvote 1

Yes, I still have the brochure, but I don't want to scan and download it's pages. It's not that interesting, apart from the prices. Sorry.

• 5 months later...

Hi Chull.

Just spotted your post dated April 2014, giving brochure prices for new homes on Rise Park estate.

Would make an interesting addition to the Property page of my web site about the estate, if you agree.

But was presumably towards completion of the estate, if brochure dated 1971 - as I believe most work was completed from 1965 onwards. Don't suppose you have any earlier prices ?

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Building Rise Park in 1976