Building Rise Park in 1976

DSCN0971_zpsd9f1284d.jpg

Teebee. Feel free to use the info about Rise Park property prices. I got the brochure from the builders in February 1971. We moved into the bungalow on the corner of Portree Drive and Bernisdale Close in September 1972. Ornsay Close was the last part to be completed, in 1973 or 1974.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can offer a few definitive dates and historical details for the Rise Park area.   Both Rise Farm and Top Valley farm were up for sale in 1940 but went unsold and were withdrawn from the ma

Well, permit me to blow my own trumpet ……. I was Victrix Ludorum twice at school.  However I’ve done very little running since leaving school but I can run for a bus when necessary! 

I've had a play with Kev's pic, using 'Paint' in Windows 7... then saving to my Flickr A/C so I can share it here. Not brilliant.. but I've managed to label a few things. Click on the image for a larg

• 1 month later...

Rise Park Community Association are holding a 1940's Thank You Celebration today - 15th Nov from 2 - 5 pm. Also includes Past Photo's and items relating to Rise Park for anyone interested. Plus live music of war era, memorabilia. Not to mention Beef / Pork dripping on Toast! Community Association building on Bestwood Park Drive.

Please be aware of parking time limits in shops car park though - use other car park or on street. Otherwise risk a £100 fine.

Admission is free. (Sorry for late notification).

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Wow, liked reading about where I live. Bought a 3 bed bungalow in 1967. Still here!. How the precinct has changed. No Charles11, now a shop. The hairdresser still going strong, and a Heron, fish and chip shop, chemist, bookies, and a replace ment shop which replaced Bargain Booze. Understand that the area behind the shop NISA,I think, is being built on  at the rear, and the flats above the shops to be updated. About time. When Kwiksave closed and the social housing was built, the surgery could have done with a bigger car park, hopeless trying most of the time. Great transport system too. All in all Rise Park is a good place to live. Brownlow Drive, where I live, looking over the country park, is I am still here. Ennes also built an estate near Hucknall. Linby Rd, I think, right the way up to Linby pit. A lot of people in the building trade were critical of Ennes, but we are all still standing, and look at the property prices !. Paid £3600 for mine, kitchen costs more than that. If anyone bothers to read this rubbish,( which I doubt )

I like Rise Park, and having seen a lot of other places, see no reason to leave. So you're stuck with me! Does anyone remember moving in in Feb 1967, if so, would like to hear about your memories. 

My old friend Dr. Jim McCraken used to run the Rise Park surgery. I had my pilot medicals there. I think he was the first doctor on the site. Sadly no longer with us but they did name a road after him. It was a dead end. That would have amused him.

Two of the teachers at my junior school got married in the summer holidays of 1969, after I left. They bought a house in Bracadale Road, Rise Park. Number 43, I think it was. They were both in their early to mid 20s and teachers' pay wasn't exactly a fortune in those days.

He ended up with a headship at a school in Bestwood and they remained in that house until their deaths, which occurred a few years ago. The house was sold in 2017.

I have a cousin who lives up there, only two doors down from where Chulla lived.

I used to work with a lady named Jean Pemberton, many years ago at Rotheras. She was a scream. Such a funny lady. Had us all in stitches. I believe she lived on Brownlow Drive with her husband, Ken.  I never met Ken but if what Jean used to tell me about him was even half true, young Trogg has a marriage that was made in heaven!

Jean was a keen gardener and had ordered some manure for her muck heap.  It arrived whilst she was at work and Ken, who knew nothing about gardening but thought he was being helpful, piled it all around Jean's lovingly planted bedding plants...and killed the lot. The manure was too hot for immediate use.

Jean told me the next day about the punishment she meted out! Poor Ken. Both long gone now.

Oldie may have known the Pembertons. They lived there for years.

Sis-in-law lives on Portree Drive.  Not sure if the large house across from her (corner of Portree and Brownlow) was a doctor or a dentist when they moved there Sept 1972. Up the side of their bungalow and at the top is the entrance to Bestwood Country Park.

Can remember Rise Park being built, I think the best thing in Rise Park, are those Children who stand all day and every day near the curb out side the school. When driving past they certainly get your attention. I think the should go out side all infant & junior schools

In 1994 we came back from Italy to once again live in Nottingham. We found a property that we were converting into a restaurant ( which became L'Angolo, (the corner) . We had quickly found a house in Rise Park, the attraction was because 2 friends lived there. Whilst we were at the restaurant clearing away my son phoned us to say we'd been broken into, so the police were called and we made a dash from Radcliffe on Trent to Rise Park.  Whoever it was made a real mess of everything, everything upside down. They took my jewellery case which my son found on the back lawn. On inspection they had left all the things that were of no value but had taken all valuable items. My rings, watches , gold chains especially the one that had my husbands blood group on which was given to him by his sisters ( sentimental value) . The police came and went but with no hope of finding the criminals. At the time we had a couple of carpenters in the restaurant and we got talking to them after the event. One day when they came in they said they knew who'd done it as they were bragging in the pub. So I told them to spread the word about the stolen jewellery that theyd have problems selling them because they were easily recognisable. Unusual designs and 18 ct white gold which isnt easy to find. A few days after there was a knock at the door and a man handed me a small package saying " I believe you've had these stolen, I found them under a plant pot in my garden"  They were some of the items but not all that had been stolen. A few months later my ex son in law got into his car to realise that the lock had been forced and some things including his ID had been stolen. That really put us off Rise Park. We lived on Revelstoke Drive. So we quickly found another house in R.O.T. 

Interesting stuff.

My brother lives in the Warren Wood area.

I recall seeing the first houses appearing on the high banking which was to the right of Hucknall Rd as you approached Moorbridge.  They were set above the track bed of the Leen Valley Railway where it ran around onto Bestwood Rd. I reckon that was early 60s.

In about 1970 or 71, I worked briefly for Wimpey, laying drains around what is now Top Valley Way. Tesco was not yet there.. nor was much of the surrounding housing as I recall.  We were mostly occupied around the roundabout which joins Top Valley Way, Top Valley Drive and The Ridgeway.  The site huts were pretty much where Witney Close is now.  I was able to walk to and from work in pretty much a straight line from our house in Southglade Road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.0039575,-1.177061,278m/data=!3m1!1e3

That's still a fab pic Kev. I think in an earlier posting you may have dated it 1935.  That would be about right I think, and there is very clear evidence that it is pre WWII.

There are at least two more farms visible, as well as Rise farm and (Top)Valley Farm. Also though..a huge amount of detail around Moorbridge, Bestwood Colliery and Iron works and lot of other stuff.  I've written very long and possibly (Surely not!!!) boring detail about this pic before.. but I might have another go tonight. ;)

I wish I knew how to label features on the pic. What do you use Kev?

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

The Rise Park area was part of our cross country route when I was at Mellish and it was all farmland back in the 60’s.

It was part of ours at HP too Phil.. And the whole area was my stomping ground as a kid.  I reckon the first houses on Rise Park were pretty much where I described and went up no later than about 1965. I have to assume they were accessed from Bestwood Park Drive West and the ones I recall were likely to be in Little Oak Wood Drive.

Our run was out of the lower access to HP, on Arnold Road.  Along Arnold to Hucknall Road, along there past 'Marble Arch', past Boowul Common and Rigleys Wagon works and then into the fields via what was called 'Lover's Lane'.. now Top Valley Way. We'd run basically around Topvalley Farm and back to what is now the The Ridgeway, down what is now the access Rd for Southglade Sports Centre, across Southglade Road, up Padstow Rd, along Raymede Drive to Gainsford Crs. and back into school via the main entrance.

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

I wish I knew how to label features on the pic. 

For that I used a programme called Graphic Converter which is probably a bit technical for many people. The other one I sometimes use is Pixlr.

Each has its own advantages, depending on what you're trying to do.

I remember going under one bridge near the golf club house and returning under another at the bottom of Hucknall Rd. We then ran along the bottom of the golf course, through another bridge and eventually came out on St. Alban's Rd. Then it was down Piccadilly, Brooklyn Rd., Kersall Drive and back home. I modestly confess that I was generally the first home. Running was my sport. Cross country in winter and middle distance in the summer. I was never a team player.

Thank heaven there was no cross country running at Manning!  It seems to have been a boys' thing.

Mind you, if someone had unlocked the gates at any point during the school day, I'd have been home faster than the speed of light. I was never a team player either!

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Building Rise Park in 1976