The Gay Cafe Burton Road Carlton

Does anyone have any memories to share from early 1960s,of the Gay Cafe on Burton road opposite the Ritz cinema i am not sure if it was classed as Carlton or Gedling,it was the in place to be ,at a time when the twist was the dance craze.We used to have a group of mainly fellas come from Notts who were fantastic dancers, one was nicknamed Johnny Twist

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went to the Gay Cafe a lot in the late 50,s. Lets see what i can remember. Two table tennis tables, one dartboard,used both a lot.A jukebox,can remember playing Eddie Cochran a lot. We even had a wor

Does anyone have any memories to share from early 1960s,of the Gay Cafe on Burton road opposite the Ritz cinema i am not sure if it was classed as Carlton or Gedling,it was the in place to be ,at a ti

#25 & #26. I had an Ariel Golden Arrow - bought new from Breffits. Steered like it was on rails but attracted rust like a Fiat car. OK bike put if you kept it on high power you would feel it tug w

hope 'they' arn't offended by the term (the gays - not the cafe owners !)

we used to frequent a couple of 'Gay' pubs in Nottingham in about '65. There were some terrible stories about the places,,,, but we - as straight guys - always had a great time there,,,,,, we didn't get beaten up,,,, or 'changed' (!) and were made welcome - I think it was all down to 'attitude'.

Talking of the Carlton Café - Was there some sort of 'boys club' or similar in the same building ? I was selling a Bull-Worker,,,, & someone asked if i'd drop the price,,, as "it was a boys club",,,, so, not being called "Magnanimous Baz” for nothing (or at all !) I did,,,, it made me feel good all over,,,,,,,,

(I also get a bit mixed up with the Ritz & the Regal !?)

The George and Dragon (It's now simply "The Dragon") is up Chapel Bar (or is it Angel Row) I had my first pint in there , ( it wasn't a gay bar then , a bit of a den of iniquity, yes , but gay bar , no (Circa 1978)

hope 'they' arn't offended by the term (the gays - not the cafe owners !)

we used to frequent a couple of 'Gay' pubs in Nottingham in about '65. There were some terrible stories about the places,,,, but we - as straight guys - always had a great time there,,,,,, we didn't get beaten up,,,, or 'changed' (!) and were made welcome - I think it was all down to 'attitude'.

Talking of the Carlton Café - Was there some sort of 'boys club' or similar in the same building ? I was selling a Bull-Worker,,,, & someone asked if i'd drop the price,,, as "it was a boys club",,,, so, not being called "Magnanimous Baz” for nothing (or at all !) I did,,,, it made me feel good all over,,,,,,,,

(I also get a bit mixed up with the Ritz & the Regal !?)

Phoenix boxing club?

hi all ,the gay cafe at carlton was not in the way you would use the expression today, it was more of a youth club,i would imagine it refered to happy.anyway it was great for dancing and meeting people,a proper teenage hang out.

Might well be Bamber,,,, were they in the same building ?

was there a garage over the road also ?

From memory (Beefsteak will correct me if I'm wrong cos he was a local) the garage was called Walker's - they sold Austin and Morris motorcars.

They're still there , I bought my mum her first car from there.

It ain't half taken some thought but I've finally remembered where you are talking about , The pheonix boxing club was the final piece of the jig saw. I don't remember it as a Cafe altough I never went in, didn't it have maroon coloured doors ?? and is set back from the road slightly ??

I'm in Nott'm Saturday/ Sunday so if I remember and it's still there I'll get you a picture.

Yes it is set back from the road a bit and it still is the phoenix boxing club as far as i know,it is just down the road from the inn for a penny pub. And the garage that used to be Walkers is now carlton car centre.

Yep - I now remember the garage being called Walkers.

Inn For A Penny was of course, The Royal Oak - when I wuz a lad !

There was a grocery shop just over the road, that sold BAY RUM -I think it was a Rub-On salve of some sort-,,,, but I have heard tell, that some kids used to drink it before playing on the Cricket Field,,,,, & sliding down a Telegraph pole wire towards on-coming trains,,,,,,

it cost nowt for us to enjoy a'sens.

,,,, and Sunflower seeds,,,,

back in the 60's someone heard that you could get high on Sunflower seeds - we'd eat 'em by the pound,,, obviously - now't happened. I think they were mistaken by another seed - that did work - in the 70/80's - None of the shops & nursery's couldn't keep a stock in .

(purposely omitted the seed names,,,, cuz you never know who's reading these & wot age !)

Another highly hallucinogenic flower hit the news some years back, that originated in Mexico (I think) – have heard tell people made ‘tea’ with the leaves of the bush & were out of their head for 24/36 hours - Free & Legal !!!!! – must have read it somewhere.

As you will all know I popped over to Nott'm on Saturday and got these for you

Duxford08014.jpg

Duxford08015.jpg

As she is now

looks a lot brighter than I remember it,,,,,

did you pop in to see if they are still using my BullWorker ? (if they are,,,, tis at least 40 years used,,,,,,,,,, [& I want the rest of mi money !]))

Wonder if this chap ever worked there?

Former Mr Gay UK murdered his lover, cooked his flesh and tried to eat it, a court has heard.

Anthony Morley, 35, is accused of stabbing Damian Oldfield, 33, in a frenzied knife attack in the bedroom of his Leeds apartment.

Mr Morley, a former chef, denies murdering Mr Oldfield.

The court heard that after the killing Mr Morley cleaned himself up before cutting out a piece of his victim's leg and seasoning it with herbs, frying it in olive oil and chewing it.

DNA tests proved that six pieces of cooked flesh on a chopping board, and another found in a bin bag, were cut from Mr Oldfield.

Saliva on the discarded piece of flesh matched the defendant.

On the night of the murder in April this year, the court heard the pair swapped intimate text messages with Mr Morley saying he had "never been properly happy being gay".

• 1 year later...

The George and Dragon (It's now simply "The Dragon") is up Chapel Bar (or is it Angel Row) I had my first pint in there , ( it wasn't a gay bar then , a bit of a den of iniquity, yes , but gay bar , no (Circa 1978)

The Dragon isn't a gay bar now as far as I'm aware. Unless I've been missing something on my odd visits!

Quite a decent pub I think. Makes a welcome change from The Bell Inn down the road.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have any memories to share from early 1960s,of the Gay Cafe on Burton road opposite the Ritz cinema i am not sure if it was classed as Carlton or Gedling,it was the in place to be ,at a time when the twist was the dance craze.We used to have a group of mainly fellas come from Notts who were fantastic dancers, one was nicknamed Johnny Twist

Yes i remember it well,we used to go from nottingham every time we had the bus fare,remember a few girls names,jenny bowes,pat crane,we used to love the place,it was a youth club,with lots of music,it certainly brings back memories.

I remember all the motor bikes,i was really jealous,i didn't have one,one kid i remember had a ariel arrow a really great bike,and fast,what happened to them all i wonder.