Motown!!!!!

An insult to the memory of Stax, no comparison, the artists on Motowns pop based lable should have curled up and died when Otis appeared, there was no way that these sickly Top of the Pops artists could compare to what Stax were putting out, that was real SOUL music.

You are correct in the fact that STAX was in fact a very fine label.

I have a few on the rarer Blue Stax Label, Tramp by Otis and cala to name but a few.

Stax Volt Atlantic is totally different from Motown, which has a sound of its own?

Another label worthy of mention was The Direction Label.

Anyone remember that one?

Can you remember any artists/tracks?

Oh dear, I have all my vinyls, singles and albums stashed in the loft, Direction Records? when were they about, Google, and you have a good list of artists but they don't jump out at me. I recall that my original copy of Wooly Bully by Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs is a yellow lable, would it be the same company.

OOh they've just played Bonnie Rait, 'I can't make you love me' on the radio, now thats a bit of class for Radio 2.

I've got various Stax light blue singles including Otis and Booker T, I've got some Sam and Dave stuff but I swear that the labels are black.

Talking of light blue lables, how about Blue Horizon Records that covered British blues bands in the 60's, I've got stuff by Fleetwood Mac, Chicken Shack and possibly a rarity by that one man band who was always at Uni, can't thing of his name, Dusty something, 'Is that a man down there' was the name of the track, can anyone remember.

Ah ha checked on Google and it's Duster Bennett, apparently these things are collectable, but then what isn't, I presume they have to be in as bought unplayed condition to be worth anything, yes mine are in their original sleeves but they've been round the country and to various parties and covered in whisky when I was deejaying at a cellar disco in Minehead, as well as at Portsmouth Poly, but thats another story.

There were also the early Blue Beat and Ska lables, which I'm sure were also light blue, I've got a 1965 single of 'Al Capone' by Prince Buster as well as a couple of his early albums.

It's interesting why record companoies changed the colour of their labels. I have a pre-release copy of Hey Joe by Hendrix on Polydor which is red, the next release, Purple Haze has a white label, then the following singles were all on black labels, or were they all multi coloured and it was the luck of the draw.

IF I recall correctly....Sam the Sham was on MGM ......Direction label?? Fantastic Johnny C..... Hitch it to the Horse. Sly & the Family Stone to mention a couple. Some Sam & Dave MAY be on black Atlantic.....that was before they issued the red label. Early Flletwood Mac, Chicken Shack & Duster Bennet were on Horizon a label started by Mike Vernon. i THINK more info on Google. That help any?

Yup & I think Etta James recorded for Chess. A correction to my last post ....Sly & Family were on Epic.

Billy Stewart of "Summertime" & "The Entertainer" fame was also a Chess star. The most well known Chess single was probably Fontella Bass with "Rescue Me"