• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Managed to buy 4 plates in '68 from a schoolmaster friend who had acquired 20 (!) from Derby Works for their brass weight. Paid £70 for Malay States, Queensland, Hood & North Borneo. Idiot that

Hopefully this will be a picture of the last northbound steam special, perhaps some of you recognise yourselves The last southbound York-Bournemouth is the train on the left.

A topic about old Nottm railway stations might interest a few of the train buffs on here !   http://www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/lost-railway-stations-nottingham-220673

Some one direct them in the direction of that national 1920s map that was posted last year (I can't find it )

( most maps have stonehenge on em.....I heard ...its still there )

Yes , but not still with it's roof on !!

• 2 months later...

Just read "Lost Railways Of Nottinghamshire" by Geoffrey Kingscott, 160 pages £9.95,

and noticed the following referring to The Great Central,

"The Old Line continued through Bulwell and Basford and went into "the rathole" as it was always known, a tunnel whose entrance was near the bridge that carried Arnold Rd over the line"

Anyone see anything wrong with the above?

Just to clarify things he IS talking about The Great Central Mainline

This was mentioned earlier when I got it wrong as well, the GCR mainline went over the road and the rathole was the GNR Derby line.

Interestingly, Geoffry Kingscott has a website relating to Trent Station about which he has written a book, he has been in contact with me requesting any pictures that I have relating to the station, which were'nt as many as I thought, if you have any pictures or personal recollections as well, he would be pleased to hear from you.

• 2 years later...

My mistake was mixing them up with ones in Hull, I do actually remember a single decker trolley bus running on the 36 route, I think on some trial/exchange from Scotland, not too sure if not a "bendy" type? Do remember it was bright orange though, would have been pre 1955

I saw the orange single decker in Bulwell Market, I think it was long but not bendy. It had a sticker in the window "On hire to Nottingham Transport".

Was talking to an old guy in the local last night and he came up with this, "You couldn't come into Nottingham without passing under or over a railway line," never thought about it all the time but of course you could pre 18whatever etc and I imagine on certain roads a good many years after? he also never said anything re level crossings! plus what do you define as Nottingham? but it did make me think !

Surely his statement could be made of most, if not all, major cities?

Cheers

Robt P.

Not sure, had the GNR managed a direct route in from Kimberley etc? though possibly best route was via London Rd pre the GCR/GNR join up? I as said the "augument" leaves a lot of questions, not least how far in or out of the city. (the guy also said USA troops were never at Langer and "the Canadian" estate in Radcliffe built during ww2 for airmen from that country who served there)

Have put this in 1960's as that's when most vanished. I am seeking info on The Great Northern Lines in the northern suburbs to the west of Bagthorpe junction esp after the old Cinderhill Road bridge up to Kimberley Station, it's route in relation to today's roads etc, also the route of the Midland line after it's Cinderhill Rd bridge. Obviously any photos or info on where to see most welcome, thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenton_sands/2129082948/sizes/l/in/photostream/

thats really interesting Danny.

I think i've asked this question before but cant find the link. Hucknall had 3 stations i believe. One on watnall Rd (where the doctors surgery is now), one where the existing station still is, and i think i was told there was one opposite Station Hotel but on Linby Road (where some bungalows are now built and where the double roundabout is near Tesco). i know nothing about the latter. what was it called? does anyone have any pics please?

I think i've asked this question before but cant find the link. Hucknall had 3 stations i believe. One on watnall Rd (where the doctors surgery is now), one where the existing station still is, and i think i was told there was one opposite Station Hotel but on Linby Road (where some bungalows are now built and where the double roundabout is near Tesco). i know nothing about the latter. what was it called? does anyone have any pics please?

Hi--, susyshoes, I see you like dancing, have a look at a video I did at our regular dance in Newton Abbot ,Wednesdays, we also have a Thursday Dance in Torquay and Tea Dance in Torquay Sundays but I am a bit under the weather today so we will give it a miss.

Evening Dance Thursdays , all with our fabulous Keyboard PLAYER John Westlake

Emjoy your dancing

Thats right, Great Central, Midland & Great Northern.

The map is not complete it misses out some freight only lines. It must date from the early 1930's as on the left hand edge it shows the narrow gauge Manifold Valley railway to Hulme End. I would emagine that it accompanied an LNER timetable.

View PostAshley, on 04 October 2008 - 04:24 PM, said:

Have put this in 1960's as that's when most vanished. I am seeking info on The Great Northern Lines in the northern suburbs to the west of Bagthorpe junction esp after the old Cinderhill Road bridge up to Kimberley Station, it's route in relation to today's roads etc, also the route of the Midland line after it's Cinderhill Rd bridge. Obviously any photos or info on where to see most welcome, thanks

Great Northern in the East Midlands Vol 3 by Alfred Henshaw, published by the RCTS, has some photos and maps of the area.

Available on clearance offer here:

http://www.rcts.org.uk/shop/publications/catalogue.htm

thanks for info re books, know the routes etc wanted more first hand local knowledge which I don't think the books will give? re Hucknall, only station I knew was the former GCR Watnall Rd one, and then in latter years (1963) when my mother lived on Shortwood Ave, do recall though that station won some award for local best kept one or similar, depending on where you think boundries of Hucknall are it could be argued it had 4 stations as there was one on the GNR (Butlers Hill) which was I believe somewhere in the Hankin St/Rd off Portland Rd area?

• 2 weeks later...

susyshoes

Hucknall isn't my part of the world, but I've found this photo in a book

I've left the captions in to read for yourself, because I wouldn't really know what I'm talking about

hucknall.jpg

sorry for the dealy in replying - been on my jollies.

yes the bottom photo is the one i was after. thanks for this