The 'Broxtowe' line runs out to Kimberley Colliery, it's branch goes to Awsworth, I can remember now a bridle path from the Cossall to Kimberley road that had railway tracks running down it as recently as the late 60's.

The map clearly shows the junction of the Newcastle branch with the Trowell line and the position of the coal wharf off Ilkeston road, which must be under those University accomodation buildings now.

Fascinating map, I really must go out now.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Managed to buy 4 plates in '68 from a schoolmaster friend who had acquired 20 (!) from Derby Works for their brass weight. Paid £70 for Malay States, Queensland, Hood & North Borneo. Idiot that

Hopefully this will be a picture of the last northbound steam special, perhaps some of you recognise yourselves The last southbound York-Bournemouth is the train on the left.

A topic about old Nottm railway stations might interest a few of the train buffs on here !   http://www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/lost-railway-stations-nottingham-220673

been on tha map site, funny how you assume things? like I had assumed "our railway" ran to canal off radford bridge road, where such joined Ilkeston Rd there was a railway joining, possibly from Wollaton pit? (and others?) if as you think wharf etc was where uni flats etc are then railway must have crossed ilkeston road? I think possibly route was as per western boulevard as on map it appears close to radford station, possibly mid way between that and radford bridge rd, also it crossed the trowell line on a straight section after the bend from radford station, any chance of any pics from maps?

managed to view map again AND enlarge it, the line did in fact cross Ilkeston Rd according to that map, though whether via a crossing, bridge over or bridge under can't tell? and that "other railway" turned out to be towing path at side of canal!!!!! lol :Shock:

• 3 weeks later...
Again according to my 1921 OS Map, the Midland crossed Cinderhill Road just north of Springhead (former NCB Medical Offices) at around where the prefabs' end, then passed Crabtree Farm/Blenheim before beginning a long left hand sweep due north of Sellars Wood (seemingly on the line of today's by-pass?) then westward via Watnall Cantelupe until it closed upon the GN by today's High Spannia road...then almost parallel (but perhaps 300 yards to the north of) the GN until it curved southward on to the Midland main line a few yards above the main LMR passing beneath the GN on it's Bennerley Viaduct.

Less familiar with this line than the GN, so can't be more precise.

Cheers

Robt P.

Hi rob im researching 'old Kimberley' and notice you mention you have a 1921 os map....would there be any way to get a copy of the kimberley area fron that map....Im trying to work out the railways here and the breweries layout from that era

Thanks ....Kev.

For Baron Braintree...

This evening 20.30 BBC 4...

"...20:30 -21:00 Beeching's Tracks

East

1/6. Nicholas Crane explores what happened in Norfolk when Dr Beeching closed many train lines. .."

Sorry, no Julia...

Cheers

Robt P.

Sheringham has a lovely little station right in the town centre.We were on there earlier this year watching the steam engines come and go. x

Sorry Rob, it's Baron Bocking, it's posher.

A bit of an entanglement of a programme, so many things not said, it should have been an hours worth.

I have friends in Dereham and have spent a lot of time up there over the years, this business of linking the lines up has been discussed for a while, it wasn't made very clear yesterday about all sorts of problems.

For a start, trying to extend the NNR past Holt station is almost impossible, a by-pass has destroyed the trackbed, how they sort that one out is beyond me, it really is a big problem, every time I drive along there, I try and work out a solution, but I don't know how they can resolve it.

County School on the MNR was their first base, it was lovingly restored, but the Local Authority chucked them off the site, they had no sympathy with their railway plans and weren't prepared to help, they've obviously changed their tune, they need good publicity these days, grinning pillocks, I reckon that, as an act of typical LA wilfullness, that they deliberately pulled up the track and destroyed the bridges towards Fakenham. The old station there is now a builders merchant, platforms intact, but they aren't going to give it up are they, the other station site is a Tesco car park, not much hope there.

Melton Constable is another one, they didn't really say how much was left up until a few years ago, so much was existing, but Norfolk Council flattened everything, smashed up the bridges and built a bus shelter with M&GNR brackets on the canopy, nice one, a good use of materials that they probably weren't aware of.

The little railway being built at Reepham is all very well, but it's an NCC footpath, matey isn't going to get far with his trains is he, besides, what wasn't made clear was that it hasn't anything to do with the orbital railway, it's a different route, a large part of which is now occupied by the Bure Valley light railway, a great trip, not to be given up and shouldn't be after all their efforts.

Not a good programme if you know that area well, what are we to see next week I wonder, reopening the route to St Pancras from Nottingham via Melton perhaps.

Incidentally, one of the original keen, honest, genuine restorers of Dereham Station ripped up the tracks and sold them for scrap overnight, nice man, he's probably Chief Executive of Norfolk County Council now.

... what are we to see next week I wonder, reopening the route to St Pancras from Nottingham via Melton perhaps...

Interesting...arguably the least 'built over' of the former major routes.

We'll firstly have to kick the cars off the Lady Bay bridge!

As the opener of the wormcan, you can count on my full support :wacko:

I'll contribute my Jube North Borneo nameplate (long-time Nottingham loco) to the fighting fund

Cheers

Robt P.

Have you really got a North Borneo nameplate, wow, I'm really impressed, it was one of our old pals, along with Malta GC, or as we called it, Great Crate, the engines we saw so often and loved to hate for seeing them all the time, but suddenly they were gone forever, what would we give to see one blasting up the bank up to the Black Path bridge now. Where did you get it from, I hope it was illegally removed and the powers that be lost out on their tuppence worth, I won't tell anyone if you did, honest, fancy swapping it for my Bulwell Viaduct GCR bridgeplate, I doubt it, but you might be insane enough to contemplate it.

Managed to buy 4 plates in '68 from a schoolmaster friend who had acquired 20 (!) from Derby Works for their brass weight.

Paid £70 for Malay States, Queensland, Hood & North Borneo.

Idiot that I am, sold the first three when prices really began to climb in the late 70's - but kept NB because of it's Nottingham connection. Had B1 Duiker plate at one time, but also managed to sell that too rapidly!

Cheers

Robt P.

• Upvote 1

Your speciality seems to be thread 'high jacking'...

Difficult enough to get Firbeck to read replies to his questions, without you building a wall! hellothere

BTW: I notice your Magpie plate has, rather appropriately, slid down the bolier case and almost reached the bottom :tease:

Cheers

Robt P.

Ok can anyone help me with this

I went to school at Henry mellish grammar school and in the dinner hour we used to go down to the railway bridge near Catchems... there was an alley up the side of it , half way up was an airraid shelter but further up was the old Railway yard with a huge derelect engine shed...inside the shed were 2 massive wooden cranes going from floor to roof that looked like giant gallows...one had some rope coming from the end of it and with some force we couuld get the crane to move..even tho it made one hell of a noise and seemed like the whole shed would collapse ...but we used to have great fun swinging out over the lowered part of the shed where the tracks came in....Wish i had a camera back then.....I think ive found it on an old map and its just called the Great Shed....has anyone any other info or pix or a map of that area.

....Kev.

Re: Post 40...

I make a flippant and lighthearted post marked by emoticons, and you come back all serious and wounded.

:tease: = tease. Your humour by-pass slip is showing.

Lighten up, for gawd's sake...

Cheers

Robt P.

Re the shed at Catchems, think you'll find it was a goods shed, theres some good pictures of Basford North/Basford & Bulwell Station on picture the past, as regards it being marked as The Great Shed on a map, not sure? it was part of The Great Northern so stemming from that? when first built the station was called Dob Park, it being built on land that was part of Dob Hall? (search me!) but quickly had it's name changed Incidently some great new pics of Valley Road Bridge just been put on picture the past basfordnorth.jpg

Difficult enough to get Firbeck to read replies to his questions, without you building a wall.

Cheers

Robt P.

Eh?????

Thought you might like to know that the BBC can't be bothered to show their new railway programme next week, why, I don't know. However, there seems to be some sort of odd travel programme on Ch5, Monday, 7:30, involving our Julia in a skimpy bikini, they advertise it all the time, but I don't mind, it's the only advert I look out for, I wonder if there is some significance in the Su Tank Destroyer with it's raised barrell, look out for it and see what I mean.

BBC have this annoying habit of playing huge fanfares at the beginning of a new series of programmes, which - from week 2 onwards - are then allowed to progressively taper off to nothing...this BBC 4 rail series being a classic example.

Overall, with the exception of Ms Bradbury and the A1 venture, there was little or no 'new' material within the series - consequently, I found it rather disappointing.

Cheers

Robt P.

Re the shed at Catchems, think you'll find it was a goods shed, theres some good pictures of Basford North/Basford & Bulwell Station on picture the past, as regards it being marked as The Great Shed on a map, not sure? it was part of The Great Northern so stemming from that? when first built the station was called Dob Park, it being built on land that was part of Dob Hall? (search me!) but quickly had it's name changed Incidently some great new pics of Valley Road Bridge just been put on picture the past basfordnorth.jpg

Hi Ashley

Thanks for the pic and the info....I'de seen these pix before but hadn't realised that this was the same shed as where i entered it the track went in on the left which means i was entering the shed from the other side to the picture and so I should be able to see the bridge in the distance that crossed Vernon rd/Highbury vale...and in this pic i cant.

Kev.

The bridge is there, far end of platforms under the footbridge, but you wont see it, hopefully though you will on enclosed, though only just the wall shows on left hand side in front of signal, houses to the left are on vernon road (or is that Highbury Vale?)basfordbridge.jpg

houses to the right! iknow

Again thanks....Yeah i can place it all now....just thinking back i thought the shed was nearer the bridge...obviously had younger legs back then.....I was at mellish from approx 68 to 72....so just missed it all. ( whats new eh )

.Kev.