Sorry Notts Lad, my pics are in the loft, I'll have a look when I have a moment.

Those side compartments could be really appallingly disgusting sometimes. I remember catching a train from Derby to Leeds, found a compartment to myself and noted a pile of girly mags in the corner, great, it was only when I settled down for a good read that I noticed the used condoms tucked down the seats, there must have been a good party going on, how they got away with it I don't know, not wanting to catch anything, I moved.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Managed to buy 4 plates in '68 from a schoolmaster friend who had acquired 20 (!) from Derby Works for their brass weight. Paid £70 for Malay States, Queensland, Hood & North Borneo. Idiot that

Hopefully this will be a picture of the last northbound steam special, perhaps some of you recognise yourselves The last southbound York-Bournemouth is the train on the left.

A topic about old Nottm railway stations might interest a few of the train buffs on here !   http://www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/lost-railway-stations-nottingham-220673

Re crossings, yes Beeston is only one I remember being replaced, there were of course others esp on MR Mansfield line, at Lenton, Bobbers Mill, Church St Basford, even Station Road Bulwell? imagine even the one at side of footbridge near Wilkinson St classed thus, and anyone remember the Nottingham Road one at Old Basford?

Class 45 Diesel D56 (later 45 137) The Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment (T.A.)

Nottingham regular for almost 30 years...

Cheers

Robt P.

Thats the fellow, I knew I was more than likely wrong (Quoting from My Fair Lady seemed the only logical route) I couldn't think of a county next Hertfordshire that fitted in my memory banks.

There's a T.V. programme on BBC 2 again tonight with Ian Hislop , charting the down fall of railways since Dr Beaching Blah Blah Blah..................

Hi rob im researching 'old Kimberley' and notice you mention you have a 1921 os map....would there be any way to get a copy of the kimberley area fron that map....Im trying to work out the railways here and the breweries layout from that era...

Kev,

Scanned and e-mailed, as arranged...

Cheers

Robt P.

Notts Lad

Thanks for publishing the picture, I've rooted around in the loft and found mine.

What made we wonder was the blue and white brake next to the loco, I couldn't recall that, we travelled in it and the pictures confirm it was crimson.

According to my picture, taken within the station, yes, reporting number IN83, loco D1572, and the time on the clock is 17:25, there seem to be loads of people ( for Vic ) waiting for the train as well.

I've been battling with photobucket, but all that seems to happen is that this site keeps uploading forever with nothing happening, I'll go through it again.

I'm sorry, what is the problem, I have my picture on photobucket, I load up the IMG code in the browser, press upload and it just keeps going on forever, in fact I've just been up to town and back and it was still going, what am I doing wrong.

in photobucket

left click on IMGcode (The bottom one)

right click (It turns blue, and a drop down window appears)

left click on copy and the word copied appears

return to Nottstalgia (It helps if you have both pages open at the same time )

Right click and the drop down window appears again

Left click and click on paste ,

The image code will appear in the topic window that you have open

now just post that ie hit the add reply button et voila

I thought I'd put the last through day at Vic in order, 3/09/66.

I took some colour shots but they are on slides.

We started out at Weekday Cross in the morning.

vic8.jpg

vic9.jpg

vic10.jpg

vic5.jpg

The youth sitting below me was my mate Fanny Hill, the former Lord Mayor, Sir Sid's grandson.

vic7.jpg

vic4.jpg

The special entering the tunnel pulled by 35030 Elder Dempster Lines.

vic11.jpg

The MN had disappeared by the time we cycled up to Vic, first B1 coupled on.

vic66.jpg

We tried to get to Carrington Street to see them come through but couldn't pedal fast enough.

vic3.jpg

The last steam semi fast to Marylebone, the highly polished 5 intended to haul the train had failed at Colwick.

vic1.jpg

Better pic of the last B/Y.

vic6.jpg

Leaving Vic for the last time

vic13.jpg

Passing an overgrown Hucknall Central

vic12.jpg

Annesley Tunnel, it was too dark for any more unfortunately, I must have had a problem with my flash for the later scenes returning from Rotherham.

My hubby loves the old steam engine pics,hes like a big kid where steam engines are concerned,especially local pics i.e. nottm vic and colwick etc.

Absolutely superb set of shots on that infamous last day Firbeck - eps enjoyed the Weekday Cross shots and dont recall seeing any before from that side. Its really good you confirmed the last York Bournemouth was hauled by D1572. I have lots of pics taken inside the Vic that day inc a number in colour - will go up onto Photobucket now and see if I can make a slide show work on here ... here goes ...see you later hopefully,

Ayup firbeck,

Brilliant set of pics there, as well as interest for us loco fans they carry a lot of historical value as nearly all the background stuff has been lost to the developers, many thanks for posting and congrats on sorting out photobucket

Rog

Thanks for your comments, thanks to Beefsteak for helping me out, I don't think I'd ever have worked out the transfer from photobucket without his help, I've been trying for weeks.

We got over that side of Weekday Cross by climbing over a fence behind a chapel, it was all over grown with weeds, I don't know where we put our bikes, over the fence as well I suppose.

The camera was a Dixons Prinzflex 35mm, the shutter spring had gone and it was lashed together with an elastic band, it worked ok, but I'd previously dropped the light meter so I was guessing and the flash connection wouldn't work either. I also had my brothers Hanimex with me loaded with Kodak colour slide film, but to my dismay, my first shot on the film of the MN coming over the viaduct was cut off by Kodak and lost forever.

We had our pictures developed by a workmate of my fathers and he did some odd editing sometimes, I still have all the negatives and would love to do them all again, some I had done in an A4 format and they came out very well considering.

If you're interested I'll put up some more Vic pictures.

v1.jpg

Just to prove a point, I've been looking through my box of pictures and found this later copy of an earlier photo, you can see the difference in editing, I wonder how many of the old ones would turn out so well.

I'll not swamp the thread, just a few interesting ones you might like, I have so bloody many.

v2.jpg

v3.jpg

You might be interested in these two, taken at the south end of Vic 20th April 1960.

Note the building being constructed on the bridge, I seem to remember it was a Boots Store, replacing the old Parliament Street station access.

Believe it or not, these were taken with a cheap plastic Brownie camera with a set shutter and aperture.

v4.jpg

Not so good this one, 27th February 1962, I'd just had an Ilford Sporti 4 for Xmas and I always found the view finder a bit of a problem.

Do you have a shot of long time Colwick resident 61269?

Only local B1 that I don't have pictured...

The Crab was a former Hellifield loco, regular S&C performer.

Cheers

Robt P.

Rob

I've got a few B1's in various places, I'll sort through them, meanwhile I just happened to find this one taken at Colwick, 62 reckon, and yes, I'm the 'Erbert just about to climb in the cab.

c1.jpg

It must be summer as I'm wearing shorts.

v5.jpg

v6.jpg

A couple more of Vic in 1965, the Britannia had a chime whistle which I was allowed to let go at my hearts content after the driver let me in the cab.

Finally, for a change, Trowell Junction, winter 1964, taken off the footbridge.

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

I think that the images speak for themselves, apart from the main lines and the footbridge, everything has gone, note the old wooden trucks.

I notice that two of those, probably unbreaked trains are on the fast line, mind you passenger trains were generally few and far between.

More great pics Firbeck and I cannot get enough so if you have more keep em coming. The pic of 61131 is not taken on the last day - it also worked a special in August 1966 taking over from 34002 Salisbury. I have a great shot of 70054 like yours but with the whole train on - absolutely was 1965 and this was the last year of namers in the Vic working the semi-fasts but on this occasion its working empty newspaper vans back to Marylebone. Enjoyed the shot of Colwick - I always got kicked out of there by the Shed foreman but Nottingham shed was always easy to bunk - any pics from there?

Sad to think how so much is now gone and lost forever and without our pics and memories there is little else to mark the passing.

The pic of 61131 is not taken on the last day - it also worked a special in August 1966 taking over from 34002 Salisbury.

Sorry matey, indeed it was on the last day, if you can blow up the picture of the two B1's together, you'll see 61131, the reporting number had for some reason been transferred down to the buffer beam, presumably as a prelude to putting it on the front of 61173, note also the time on the station clock as well as some of the characters lurking on the platform.

I missed the August special as I was swanning about on the beach in Jersey at the time, it all seems a long time ago now, can you believe that the Beatles had just brought out Revolver that month.

Incidentally, I was walking down Parliament Street towards Central Market and heard the chime whistle of 70054. I went down onto the platform and luckily had my camera, the driver let me into the cab as he backed down the station on to the train, again some better editing of the neg would show more of the scene.