Talking of smelly cheese, #42,  we have just had the pleasure in W Australia of half a dozen new Aldi stores.

They've been in Oz for a while but are new to WA, anyway I'm a lover and a taster of any cheese, so when I saw this "washed rind smelly cheese" I thought Mnnn, might be a nice strong flavor.

Well it stank the fridge out for days, even placed in a ziplock bag, it still lived up to it's name, so one pleasant evening while sampling a nice red I asked the wife to break it out with some biscuits, what a disappointment ! it was totally tasteless.

Will stick to our nice creamy Stilton thank you, but must admit we do like Aldi, they have certainly shook up our big two normal supermarkets here.

Back to the thread, sorry to go OT. My dad too loved his Colwick cheese, with fresh sliced greenhouse tomatoes or cucumber in vinegar.

Mum also used to put sliced Spanish onion in vinegar too.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember Colwick Cheese - my dad used to sell it in his shop on Colwick Road. I believe it was made from unpasteurised milk, and fell foul of EC prohibition, once we joined up in 1973.

I was walking along the road the other day and some chav chucked a big lump of cheese at me. I thought that's not very mature.

When I lived in Colwick (about 1962), I used to knock about on motorbikes with a lad called Trevor Shuttleworth. He lived in one of a group of really ancient looking tumbledown cottages. They are long

Especially in paninis Rob. I like bacon in it too, it's a smashing snack / lunch. 

Given all the comments on Stilton cheese on here does any one think it strange that Cheese from the village of Stilton cannot be sold as Stilton? As the cheese has Protected Geographic Status (PDO)it can only be made in Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Leicestershire. Still love Stilton with a glass of good port or as a blue cheese dressing on good steak. Cracking cheese that Grommit

• Upvote 1

Did anyone used to chant the (now) non-PC rhyme when they were kids. The above talk about cheese reminded me of it after nearly 70 years (can't remember what I did yesterday, though):

Sambo, Sambo, sitting on a rainbow,

Eating scarlet cheese.

A cat came by and p...ed in his eye,

And made poor Sambo sneeze.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The Shuttleworths did live in old cottages near the 'rec' then moved into a house on Vale Rd. The garden of that house backed onto ours on First Avenue. Trevor and David were the lads of our age.  I recall that Trevor had a Royal Enfield 350. The family next door to us were the Reddish's. Mr Reddish was always changing his motorcyclists. He kept his bikes really cleaned and polished, an example to us all! Mick, the Reddish's son had a red 1960(?) Norton Dominator, a 600cc. Just before we moved up North to near Manchester I bought an old 1953 BSA M21 and sidecar in summer 1966. 

There was an AA patrol man with a sidecar who lived at the top end of Vale Road opposite the church. He gave me advice on how to drive a sidecar outfit. I hadnt got a clue and it was only thanks to his sage words that I got back home from the dealers in one piece! The next day I ran into a bus, no damage to either party but well bruised pride!! The dealer was on the road, London Road (?) in town somewhere near St Patricks RC church, the bike cost me £35 pounds, a fortune!! I used to go to visit the main dealers in town and drool over the new bikes! Just way out of reach financially - like somewhere near the moon!!! Cheers, Piat (Voysher)

When I was at school aged about 13/14 ,I used to know a girl who said she lived at Home Sluices ,I think that was the name of her house,I never went to her house ,but I know it was in Colwick.

Her name was Jean Lloyd,I think she had a sister Helen.

• 2 months later...

I've not logged into this site for ages. Amazed to see a reply from Voysher Piat(kewicz) #31. I used to know you and your brother Wojtek when we were at Colwick Cowsheds (sorry, St John's C of E primary!) Then about 40 years later I used to go out with a lady who lives in Birmingham, who taught both of you at the Catholic grammar school on Carlton Hill. She was amazed [a] because I had known you, because I could pronounce your names. No trick there - my sister's married name is Mielcarek [should be Mielczarek, but the Z fell off a couple of generations ago].

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I remember the “Sambo“ poem but it was “a rat came by and peed in his eye.” Odd as it may seem the man who delivered papers was nicknamed Sambo I recall many years later he was featured in the press as the oldest or longest serving paperboy delivering in the Meadows area. Whenever we saw him we used to call out “eyup  Sambo” and he never failed to smile and say hello bless him.

I remember it too. As I've said before on this thread, tons of Colwick Cream Cheese consumed in our house when I was a child.  I had a recipe for choux pastry which was divided into small buns, baked in the oven and, when cooled, each bun was filled from an icing bag and nozzle with Colwick Cream Cheese and mashed cucumber. Messy but very tasty. It just doesn't taste the same with any other soft cheese.

• Like 1

You don't know what you've missed, Loppy. I love Brie and camembert, if they're ripe. However, they are totally different from Colwick Cheese which had a unique taste. Always bought ours from Wealthalls at the corner of Grimston Road and Radford Boulevard. They only had a few each day and when they were gone, they were gone.

As far as I remember, from years ago, home made Colwick cheese seemed to be made in a sock hung from a clothes line! I always thought it tasted like sour milk. Brie and Camembert are fine but I do prefer blue Stilton from Colston Basset dairy. The Long Clawson Stilton has a much too bitter taste for me. I used to like a French cheese called Bresse Blue. It's still available but I've not seen it in local supermarkets.

It did taste like sour milk. We never made our own. There was something unique, too, about the wrapping of Colwick Cheese with it's square of greaseproof paper at the base and the cellophane covering. I believe it was made with unpasteurized milk?

Ah, I wasn't wrong then about the taste. Richmond dairy, just off the Plains, over the road from St. Jude's Church used to make it commercially. I wonder if anyone does now?

It can be had from Belvoir Ridge Creamery at Eastwell near Melton apparently. It became popular when Jamie Oliver eulogised over it some years ago.