mr rob t

Colwick cheese

Can anyone remember this cheese? It was made by The Richmond Dairy who were located at the top of Ransom Road near the junction of Woodborough Road. Is it still made? Every now and then i have a craving for the stuff. And another thing, crusty cobs, where have they gone to? They are like rocking horse poo to get hold of nowadays.

We can get a type of Colwick cheese over here ,but it's more like Cottage cheese (I don't know why I typed this 'cause I can't for life of me remember what it's called, you get it from the same place that calls Faggots, "Savoury Ducks")

"Me dad used to love Bluies, he would have them with bacon for Saturday tea. I would go to a few spots I knew whilst out shooting, ( no you don't have to shoot them) and drop them off for him. The folks out here in Lincolnshire have never heard of them, but I know quite a lot of places near to me where to get them, so if they do become popular out here I could make a few bob."

REPLY TO PLANTFIT on remote thread,,,,

I was surprised to hear that,,,,, as we used to sell bluies in our shop on St Anns Well Road,,,,, & where did they come from ? Yep - Lincolnshire. We had a regular order every Sat & Wednesday,,,, they were always pre-ordered tho' ( you used to [& still do] have to watch out for the 'wriggles' that tend to like 'em also.)

Nowt like a some Colwick cheese with a summer salad. This stuff called cottage cheese isn't a patch on what Colwick was like.

I used to really like Colwick Cheese. I haven't heard anybody mention it for years and was beginning to think it was a product of my imagination. :-)

I recall they used to sell it on a stall on Victoria Market, at the south end upstairs facing the record stall.

this might come somewhere close,,,,,,, tho' not as creamy:

Get a couple of pints of milk, & warm it slightly in a pan,,,,,,, add a touch of seasoning (to taste) & tablespoon of vinegar & stir well. This separates the curds from the whey-hey,,,, you can either sieve this through a very very fine sieve or a muslim (!?)

If using sieve, now transfer curds to said muslin & squeeze (the muslin,,,, not the muslim !) You can then either leave in the muslin, or press it.

If you leave it in the muslin, just hang it somewhere for a few days.

If you want to press it (I use a s.steel mould ring) get a piece of muslin about twice the size of the receptacle (or ring) & put half of it into the ring. Put curds in & fold other half of muslin over & put some weight/s on it.

After a couple of days, you have a passable cheese. I havn’t got round to leaving it longer to get a real cheese but may do now I’ve thought about it again.

As I say – not as creamy as ‘Colwick’ but worth a try,,,,,,,,,,, you may just like it !

I remember Colwick Cheese, always had to bring one in for my mum if I shopped in town on a Saturday. It had a sort of crust on it where the cheese was a bit harder on the surface. It always came on a square piece of paper. We generally ate it in a sandwich, with cucumber and onions soaked in vinegar. The closest in consistency nowadays is Philadelphia cream cheese

Wasn't Colwick cheese a victim of the "salmonella scare" some years ago? It used to be an occasional treat in our house, I think Wheldon's dairy sold it, as our local milkman (Jack Paling from Lowdham) got his milk from there.

I vaguely remember seeing something in the Evening Post about production being stopped due to the inevitable "Elf and Safety" stuff.

Seem to remember also it came in a round packet, wrapped in some sort of muslin stuff, with red writing on it.

I used to love Colwick Cheese too and I find that "Welsh Goats Cheese" which they sell in a well-known supermarket in Bridgford is reminiscent of it.

It's great with a few chopped chives on a sandwich.

Wasn't Colwick cheese a victim of the "salmonella scare" some years ago? It used to be an occasional treat in our house, I think Wheldon's dairy sold it, as our local milkman (Jack Paling from Lowdham) got his milk from there.

I vaguely remember seeing something in the Evening Post about production being stopped due to the inevitable "Elf and Safety" stuff.

Seem to remember also it came in a round packet, wrapped in some sort of muslin stuff, with red writing on it.

I asked our local greengrocer if she stocked it recently and she said it has been banned....like you say due to health and safety as it is made with unpasturised milk...such a shame, was great stuff!!!!

I used to really like Colwick Cheese. I haven't heard anybody mention it for years and was beginning to think it was a product of my imagination. :-)

I recall they used to sell it on a stall on Victoria Market, at the south end upstairs facing the record stall.

Take one pint of full cream milk amd let it go sour. Strain it through a piece of cloth - an old sock is ideal but I BEG YOU TO WASH IT FIRST - put the solids into a bowl and mix in a little salt (I also add black pepper) and put it in the fridge to solidify and there you have a passable Colwick Cheese! Mind, if you buy the Frech Boursin its infinitely better! Du Panne, Du Boursin Du BLISS!

I remember Colwick Cheese - my dad used to sell it in his shop on Colwick Road.

I believe it was made from unpasteurised milk, and fell foul of EC prohibition, once we joined up in 1973.

• Upvote 1

I remember Colwick Cheese - my dad used to sell it in his shop on Colwick Road.

I believe it was made from unpasteurised milk, and fell foul of EC prohibition, once we joined up in 1973.

Eyup Ron, sorry this is off-topic but do you by chance inhabit the R2OK board as well?

I was walking along the road the other day and some chav chucked a big lump of cheese at me.

I thought that's not very mature.

• Upvote 1

Hi... I used to love Colwick cheese on a sandwich with cress,,,yummy.

What shop did you have on St Anns WEll Rd? I used to live not far from Donkey Hill on St Anns Well Rd

When I lived in Colwick (about 1962), I used to knock about on motorbikes with a lad called Trevor Shuttleworth. He lived in one of a group of really ancient looking tumbledown cottages. They are long gone, but they used to be on the site of the car park, situated where Sluice Gates Road meets the loop road. He had a rumour (no more than that), that Colwick cheese used to be made in those cottages. I give you this for what it's worth!

• Upvote 1

Thanks LongJohn.

I am sure someone will have a map showing those Cottages somewhere?

Or perhaps even a photo?

Not sure if this is the cottages in question, but I know they were completely refurbished and are now one private residence.

Corner of River road, Mile end road Colwick

https://goo.gl/maps/ipsjb

Gave Wetherspoons a miss today,went in late yesterday morning,full of kids,(mostly my Grandkids) so had Colwick cheese substitute at home,Philly on pyclets.