Would appreciate some help...

Permit me to seek some computer help and, yet again, expose my total lack of knowledge.

Until recently my C: free, showing on Norton System Doctor, was consisently showing around 38K MB.

Within the last few weeks, for no apparent reason, this has slowly dwindled down to 21K MB today.

I have downloaded nothing of any size, and have done all the usual Disk Doctor/Win Doctor/Speed Disk/Defrag' exercises...but to no avail.

The scene seems to be set for sliding down to 0MB!

Any offered advice/info' would be gratefully received - kindly convey it in terms that the 'ultimate PC idiot' can understand.

Thanks...

Cheers

Robt P.

Hi Rob

Go to 'Start'

My Computer

And then hover your mouse over the disc drives shown.

Does this 'FREE' figure compare with what Norton is telling you?

Norton reserves quite a lot of the hard drive to make 'back ups' - an ongoing thing just in case something happens.

It could be that the 'reserved' hard drive space has been upgraded by Norton.

NORTON - I wouldn't have it on any of my machines even if you gave it me for free. http://uk.ask.com/web?q=norton++problems&a...1627709&c=1

Appreciate what you say about Norton, but my concern is that having been 38K for about 4 years it continues to dwindle daily. Not all at once, as it surely would be with a Norton imposed change, but a continuing slide towards oblivion!

Could it mean that my actual physical hard drive is on it's last legs?...mixed metaphor, sorry...

Cheers

Robt P.

I stopped using Norton years back, it causes too many conflicts.

I used to like using it to hack into protected software to pirate it, thats about the only good thing about Norton, other than that like I say, it caused so many conflicts it peed me off bigtime.

I stopped using Norton years back, it causes too many conflicts.

I used to like using it to hack into protected software to pirate it, thats about the only good thing about Norton, other than that like I say, it caused so many conflicts it peed me off bigtime.

I'm with AyUp,

I've never known a supposed 'helpful' program or device to cause so much headache or heartache and actual trouble & damage. Especially a company of the size & reputation of Norton, who seem totally oblivious to the outcomes - yes, they do sometimes offer a standardised 'cover-all' suggestion, which might help one person out of a hundred.

I was one of the lucky ones that got a full refund after it let a virus through.

I use AVG, ZoneAlarm, S.A.Spyware, (All FREE ) and they all catch some viruses that the others let through - including Norton. When I can get 'trial' versions, I like Nod32. As far as the blurb goes (which is echoed by many users) it's the only system so far that has trapped everything going (please don't ask me to prove it !).

Baz

Hi Rob

Download 'Clean up' here http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?Itemi...t&task=view

it's quite safe, and I use it all the time. When you have downloaded it, don't click on the 'Demo' option - it takes some time and doesn't really do anything.

I'll wager a bet you will have a much improved hard drive after.

It certainly sounds like it's your browsing history that is causing the hard drive to fill up.

I've used Trend Internet Security for years and I've not had a problem in years.

One little tip that might be of use to people on here, especially if you bank on-line, quite a few banks now offer free software - sometimes for up to a year.

Frank,

Ive run the Steven Gould 'clean up' a couple of times...

Seems similar to my Windows 'clean up', as I've only retrieved around 75MB...my mysterious daily loss continues.

Nevertheless, seems to be a straightforward device, which I have retained for future use

Thanks

Cheers

Robt P.

• 1 month later...

Frank,

You'll recall that my problem was a gradual disappearance of MB...

Having progressively dwindled down to 18K MB it has, over the last week, slowly climbed back to 23K MB!

Confirmation, as if it were needed, that PC's are female in nature - you never know what they are going to do next...

Cheers

Robt P.

teebee,

Below is the gist of the instructions on the site...

Having revealed the box, after clicking properties, I see no reference to System Restore, or a lead on to the slider!

The properties box headings being: General,Tools,Hardware,Norton,Sharing & Quota...can't find 'System Restore' from any of them.. :sorry:

Cheers

Robt P.

"...To change the System Restore settings in Windows XP, left-click on the Start Button and then right-click on the My Computer icon. Select Properties from the menu that appears to see the status of System Restore on the computer. Left-click on the (C:) icon and then on the Setting button for more information. The slider can be used to adjust the amount of hard disk space used for the System Restore files..."

Puzzled by that, Rob

I also use Windows XP, fully up to date with latest service packs and updates.

Have followed the process as you indicate (first two sentences) and it comes up with a dialogue box containing tabs for:

"System Restore, Auto Updates, Remote, General, Computer Name, Hardware, Advanced"

Somewhat different to your tabs

When I click on System Restore tab it shows that 12% has been allocated, and the article indicates that this is the maximum needed - and could be reduced.There is, in fact also an option to turn off System restore, though this is presumably risky.

P.S. Just tried another shortcut, though don't think it will make a difference to you. Right Clicking the My Computer icon on the desktop takes you to a dialoge box from which you can also select properties as above

Hi....I am assuming that you have tried this but as no-one has mentioned it i thought i would........To get space back on 'c' drive ( i do this about every month )...open 'my computer ' ...right click on the 'c' drive and click properties....when you see the pie chart, next to that is disk cleanup..click on that..when its done its little scan...at the top there is a tap called 'more options...click that....and click the bottom one....system restore....itll wipe em all off except the last good one.....then click yes and let it do the cleanup........gets loadsa space back on the 'c' drive.......

....Hope this is helpful

click the bottom one....system restore....itll wipe em all off except the last good one.....then click yes and let it do the cleanup........gets loadsa space back on the 'c' drive.......

....Hope this is helpful

Am thinking this is a very risky procedure, as the last restore point may not be a safe one. Sometimes necessary to go back a long way to find such a point, as I recently found. Just checked my system and there are 28 restore points recorded, going back to beginning of September.

I believe that Windows XP creates a restore point at regular intervals, including when updates are received, and you can also create one manually if you decide to make any change that might affect the system e.g installing or removing a programme. These are individual snapshots of the system settings at a particular point in time, irrespective of whether there is a fault.

My thinking is illustrated as below - but stand to be corrected if wrong:-

1st Nov - Restore Point created by Windows, computer working correctly

5th Nov - Restore Point created by Windows, computer working correctly

6th Nov- Windows Update received - Restore Point created by Windows automatically

8th Nov - Fault occurs, but not immediately obvious to user who takes no action

10th Nov - Restore Point created by windows (this will now include the fault from 8th Nov)!

13th Nov - Follow the advice as above and delete old restore points. Just retain the last one dated 10th Nov

15th Nov - Restore point created bt Windows (this will also include the fault from 8th Nov)

18th Nov - User spots the fault and decides to do System Restore. But can then only restore to10th Nov!!!

This means that the computer will restore the settings which still contain the fault, as it is not possible to go back a further stage to the true safe point of 5th November when it was working correctly.

Found it a bit difficult to explain, but hope my thinking is clear from the above.

Far better, therefore, to restrict the amount of space that Restore can take up - as suggested by the link. This will ensure that you still have a list of Restore points that you can skip back to in order to find a safe one.