Northern Baths turn-around...

It was all to do with the Zulu Wars, Chelmsford was I think the overall commanding officer, Chard was the officer in charge at Rorkes Drift, Isandula was the basford version of the name for some big battle, Durnford was another officer plus theres other connections ie Zulu Road

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah but.......... in the old days if you went to Northern Baths and then turned around, you'd see railways.

Small world innit !

Catchems corner it was. Turned a few round there myself !

All the road names between Reigate Road and Egypt Road New Basford have something to do with either the Zulu war 1879 or the Anglo-Egyptian war 1882. many are easy to spot but with others you have to allow for an English version of the original, Isandlwana becomes Isandula and some of the relationships can be vague. For instance Frank Bourne VC who fought at Rorke's Drift enlisted at Reigate. Ekowe Street is named for a fort in Natal. Rosetta Road is named after a place actually called Mooi Rosetta.

• Upvote 1

Referring to CliffTons map of Isandula Road. I have an Aunt who used to live on Chelmsford Road. According to that map it was Chelmsford Street. When did it change?

As Ashley mentioned, it may just be a misprint, but looking at various other maps, it changes from Street to Road around the 1920s. Or maybe that was when someone finally noticed the mistake.

It is funny how we (or rather I) assume things isn't it? having first seen and been told about the tram "power station" over 60 years ago I had always assumed till today that or rather the yard behind it was the tram depot? In fact when I saw that map I thought "they've got that wrong" but of course the opposite is true, Scanning what's left of my memory I recall a factory/warehouse where the new housing is today, there were several similar 3? storey buildings thus in that area, think all to do with the dying/bleaching industry and know at least one remains converted to flats.

Another thing I noticed on the map that I had never seen before in real life/photos or on maps was the tram line running down Isandula Road!I had seen on maps the maze of railway tracks inside the gas works but until today not noticed the wagon turntables seen as a circle on the tracks plus "a bypass" around such? I recall seeing little shunting engines but cannot recall whether steam or diesel or even fireless steam ones!

I do believe they were small diesels in the 60s. Much needed, those ovens burnt an awful lot of coal and produced tons of coke. Another unusual thing about Basford works was the introduction of LPG to up the calorific value of the gas produce. It arrived by small (by todays standards) dark blue tankers signed EMGAS.

Oh and it had a rifle range under one of the oven runs.