Northern Baths turn-around...

#23 Ashley.

We always knew it as 'Northern bridge' and the station as 'Basford and Bulwell',........often went into Nottingham on the train from there 1penny long route thru Daybrook and a halfpenny on the short route thru 'New Basford.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah but.......... in the old days if you went to Northern Baths and then turned around, you'd see railways.

Small world innit !

Catchems corner it was. Turned a few round there myself !

Yes Brian quite correct though later at time of the big miners strike it was amended to "vote coal" then the word coal was crossed out! Peck did make it on to the council but as a "Green Party" member, I think with the downing of the berlin wall plus break up of the USSR it finally dawned on him he wasn't going to make it as a commie. I'm told though never seen it in writing the station was originally called Dob Park as it was in the land owned by Dob Hall but that name didn't last long, however I still hear older people talking of "Dobby (or Dobbie) Bridge" so maybe some truth in it?

The website below confirms what I thought, which was that John Peck was eventually elected onto the Council as a Communist, and for a time held the casting vote as it was otherwise an even split.

As I remember, it was always said that if he'd been Labour instead of Communist he would have won the seat as an MP at every general election for years, never mind be a councillor.

http://www.grahamstevenson.me.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=888:peck-john&catid=16:p&Itemid=119

'After 30-odd years of dogged electoral campaigning and more than forty various electoral contests, in local council and parliamentary wards, by the early 1980s it was clear that John Peck’s personal vote had brought him within reach of seriously being elected. This was finally accomplished when he was finally elected as a Communist councillor in Bulwell, Nottingham in May 1987.

'Due to the vagaries of electoral politics in what had once been a solid Labour area, Peck held the casting vote on a hung Nottingham City Council, which had 27 Labour and 27 Tory councillors. He supported the subsequent Labour administration, serving on the Housing and Environment, and Policy and Resources committees.

'By the May 1990 council elections, Peck’s annoyance at the lack of support for a strategy involving electoral contests amongst the now Euro-Communist dominated CPGB led him to resign from it to join the Greens. In 1991 and 1995, he was subsequently re-elected as a Green councilor.'

Catfan, Do you remember Mick Harrison? He wasn't a driver but a fitter, he had his own little workshop inside the depot near the entrance the buses used to go in. Moved to Parliament Street after Bulwell was closed down,

Can you remember the old tram lines at Bulwell Depot? I was involved in the removal of those, P. Waller was the contractor who still lives in Bulwell.

I could not forget those tramlines, I saw em every workday !

Yes I remember Mick very well, he did bodywork on my cars over the years, absolutely smashing bloke too !

Also know phil Waller too !

• Like 1

It appears that there was never a time when the tram tracks actually finished at Northern Bridge. The original horse tram route opened in 1881 only went as far as Basford Gas Works. Electrification and extension through to Bulwell Market took place in 1901. In 1933 route numbers were changed, tram route 3 Trent Bridge to Bulwell Market became C, later converted to the well-known trolleybus route 43. At that time, tram 4, which became D, ran from Colwick Road to Northern Bridge, with some peak hour journeys continuing to Bulwell. (This became trolleybus 44, with the wires extended to Bulwell Hall.)

I'm only guesing here, but wonder if the original tram tracks finished at as said Basford Gas Works but also at the site of Basford Vernon Station? It has been said before the coming of the trams killed off certain railway stations (the NSR esp) But I am wondering if in fact the opposite was true? The trams providing a local like from the stations to area's of Nottingham for work, I say that as most tram routes ran close to existing railway stations

I have a book that has a track plan - including of the original horse-drawn Nottingham and district tramways - which shows the terminus as being at Isandula Road, with a depot on Isandula Road itself. I guess the horse trams took a bit longer than a steam train to get to town - bearing in mind the hill up Radford Road and Alfreton Road, and I read somewhere that in the other direction they attached an additional "cock" horse from the Market square to Canning Circus. Of course, the trams were probably more frequent.

Yes I remember the Isandula Road site well but in trolley bus days, the generating room is still there though now I think some double glazing works, In the 1950's on hot days they had the doors open and you could see the generators in use these I assume were steam powered? they were very noisy and a little scary with these shaft spinning at high speed etc, behind that building there was a large yard where I assume horse drawn trams and their horses were stabled prior to electrifed ones? I never saw any trolley buses there and there was no remains of tram lines etc, maybe at that time it fed the national grid? there are still some massive transformers in the yard but whether there in the 1950's I don't recall, The building itself was next door to the old police station, a similar pairing of such happened at the corner of Mansfield Rd/Gregory Boulevard and I think at side of Huntingdon street Bus Station, though those "power stations" were alot bigger

Hi StephenFord,

I have known Phil for over 35 years, I knew both is first wife, his mother and know is current wife. I have not seen Phil for a couple of years but I did speak to him over the phone just before Christmas. He really is one of the nicest and genuine people I have had the pleasure of knowing. But a very shrewd business man.

Referring to CliffTons map of Isandula Road. I have an Aunt who used to live on Chelmsford Road. According to that map it was Chelmsford Street. When did it change?

I have always known this to be the generating station next door to the police station https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.97781,-1.173283,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sPG5KubrRAe0uF4N086rYGw!2e0!6m1!1e1 and this is the yard behind it off RADFORD ROADhttps://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.978181,-1.174225,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sSga2AbqgaJHiM5rX40uidA!2e0

No idea re Chelmsford Rd/Street change, maybe just a print error? assume you know the history of the stret name (Chelmsford)

I don't know the history of the street name. I just assumed it was named after a place in Essex. Odd considering the street names around it