Northern Baths turn-around...

Can anyone recall the location of the NCT 42 Northern Baths 'trackless' turn-around, was if before - or beyond - the GN overbridge? IIRC, it was at the 'throat' provided by the Saxondale Drive turn...my mate reckons they ran on to Piccadilly to turn, but I reckon his dementia is kicking in!

Cheers

Robt P.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah but.......... in the old days if you went to Northern Baths and then turned around, you'd see railways.

Small world innit !

Catchems corner it was. Turned a few round there myself !

Ayup Rob,

I seem to remember them turning round before the bridge in that little area in front of Catchums, and the allotments, quite a wide bit of road there

Rog

def before the bridge, can recall the green clock on a post there, do you remember when the 36 used to turn at Nottingham Rd/Vernon Rd junction? I think that changed when futurist island was replaced by traffic lights? I can't remember following in use but was there also a turn round at end of eland street opp gasworks gates? seem to recall something of it, plus in later years the pub there renamed the terminus

• 7 months later...

The trolleybuses that went down Alfreton Road were numbers 42, 43, 44 and on to Bulwell. I don't recall that turnaround, but I reckon it must have been for the number 39 Wollaton Park that must have lost it's way, thinking about it, how were the points controlled, what stopped the 39 going down Alfreton Road or the 42 going on to Wollaton Park. I recall that at the junctions that there was a great big handle that if you were a bad lad you could pull and change the overhead points, surely the clippie didn't jump off and pull the thing. There you go, I was a member of the local trolleybus group and travelled on the last but one trolleybus ever to run in Nottingham, but I now haven't a clue how the overhead junction system worked, does anyone remember.

Yes, at Northgate/Haydn Rd/Nottingham Rd junction there was a similar lever and conductress(usually a female) would hop off and run along side bus to pull and hold handle before bus reached the "points" if a 37 which turned there, assume some spring loaded arrangement which in normal position allowed "main route open"? in that case for a 36 or 41, It would appear the turnaround at peveril st was in fact as per a railway turntable and not a terminus then?

• 2 years later...

Yes, at Northgate/Haydn Rd/Nottingham Rd junction there was a similar lever and conductress(usually a female) would hop off and run along side bus to pull and hold handle before bus reached the "points" if a 37 which turned there, assume some spring loaded arrangement which in normal position allowed "main route open"? in that case for a 36 or 41, It would appear the turnaround at peveril st was in fact as per a railway turntable and not a terminus then?

Both the Peveril Street and Eland Street turnrounds were not regularly used they were for emergencies only. The Peveril Street one was not a turntable, the road junction was wide enough for the trolly to turn. Not so much traffic in those days!

Quote, "The Peveril Street one was not a turntable, the road junction was wide enough for the trolly to turn. Not so much traffic in those days!"

Didn't know buses had turntables! what I meant by a "turntable" was a means to turn a trolley bus that was not at the end of the overhead wires, ie haydn rd and peveril st as opposed to the two 44 termini

See that trolly bus there? I've been on that one, bright yellow they were, I even got a ride on that there turntable at Christchurch !!!

Can anyone recall the location of the NCT 42 Northern Baths 'trackless' turn-around, was if before - or beyond - the GN overbridge? IIRC, it was at the 'throat' provided by the Saxondale Drive turn...my mate reckons they ran on to Piccadilly to turn, but I reckon his dementia is kicking in!

Cheers

Robt P.

42 turned At Northern Baths.

Trackless ran into Piccadilly Depot from Bulwell after their shift. The 43 Turned at Bulwell Market and The 44 at Bulwell Hall Terminus ( Billy Bells Garage was there for many years ) . I bought a Hillman Minx ( New ) ( automatic ) off him in 1968 £ 800 Cash Got £50 Knocked off !!! The 42 short turned on The Baths side of the Bridge . I rode this route for six years daily.

• 3 years later...

We (Basford Trainspotters) always knew the bridge as Northern Bridge as it was on The Great Northern Route which was in fact a "main line" with 216 trains a day using it every 24 hours in 1900, 25 years after it's building, over 24 hours that's one every 6 mins! though as less trains ran at night they'd be even more regular in the day. I "explored" the station site after closure, the vandals had already been though so no real souvenirs to be "liberated" (unless you fancied a signal gantry or footbridge? On the other side of the bridge was a voting slogan, later altered and later still painted over, anyone recall what it said? Behind that low painted wall in the photo was car sales pitch (in 1968) probably before and after too? A right Arthur Daley type, nearly bought a van from there but barred by the wife as the reg no. letters were VAL (don't ask!)

• Upvote 1

Was it "Vote Peck"? A local communist who put up at every election both national and local. He eventually got elected to the council. I believe he was a pilot in the war and was awarded the DFC. I hope my memory is ok it was a long time ago.

I think you are correct BulwellBrian.

John Peck was quite a character, I met him a few times & he was a very passionate Communist.

Wasn't that car place called "Northern Bridge Auto's", owned by Tony Carr ?

Referring back to the turnaround at Basford, I actually turned buses around their in to 70s, motor buses I hasten to add, not trolley's !

John Peck.

http://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/news/local/death-of-john-peck-the-people-s-champion-1-678715

• Like 1