Did any of you have your milk from this company based on Carlton Hill, my dad use to work there before he moved on to Players. Back in the days when all other dairys had electric floats Wheldons milkmen were whizzing around in green Ford transits. Maybe i delivered your morning pinta a time or two because i used to help him at the weekends for the grand sum of a fiver a day pocket money. You`d never mix up Wheldons bottles with others coz their tops were about twice the size of other bottles.

We always had the Coop milkman ,as you know I was Carlton born and bred.

You may be able to help a little here Rob , I went to Frank Wheldon Comp and have tried to find out who he was . I know he was related to the dairy people but other than he was a local councillor I have been unable to find anything, Mr G oogle has not been very helpful either.

Another Carlton Milkman "Frank Hickman" now there's a name to conjour with!!!

Frank Wheldon was the guy who started the dairy. It was his family that ran it in later times. As i remember it was ran has you`d expect a small family firm to be run, employees getting looked after ect. AFAIK Frank did a lot of good around the carlton area and was highly thought of, i`ll have to get in touch with a few people and find out more for you, sorry about that. There is a Frank Wheldon school website, maybe that will tell you more, but knowing you, you'll have already been on it.

• 11 years later...
On 10/8/2008 at 4:09 PM, mr rob t said:

Did any of you have your milk from this company based on Carlton Hill, my dad use to work there before he moved on to Players. Back in the days when all other dairys had electric floats Wheldons milkmen were whizzing around in green Ford transits. Maybe i delivered your morning pinta a time or two because i used to help him at the weekends for the grand sum of a fiver a day pocket money. You`d never mix up Wheldons bottles with others coz their tops were about twice the size of other bottles.

How can i contact you i think iv found some dairy glass in my garden

• 2 months later...

On 10/8/2008 at 4:16 PM, Beefsteak said:

We always had the Coop milkman ,as you know I was Carlton born and bred.

You may be able to help a little here Rob , I went to Frank Wheldon Comp and have tried to find out who he was . I know he was related to the dairy people but other than he was a local councillor I have been unable to find anything, Mr G oogle has not been very helpful either.

Another Carlton Milkman "Frank Hickman" now there's a name to conjour with!!!

Frank Hickman used to deliver milk with a horse and cart. The horse was called Peggy and he kept her in a stable on Cromford Avenue in Carlton along with some pigs. My dad bought a piece of land and built a house next to the stables into which we moved when I was 5. My sister and I used to go next door and stroke Peggy.   

• 1 year later...

This is the obit for Frank Edward Wheldon , director of Wheldon's Dairy from the EP Feb 14th 1970.

Death of Coun. Frank Wheldon
NOTTS. County Councillor
Frank Edward Wheldon who had been a member of the authority for nine years, died at his home today aged 60.

Mr. Weldon of 1 Mayfield Road, Carlton Hill, had suffered a long iliness.
He was elected to the council in 1961 as a representative of Carlton West and since then had been a member of the majority of committees.

Chairman
He became chairman of the Finance Committee in March 1968 and held this position until April of the following year when he retired from the chair
because of ill health.

A former chairman of the Salaries and Establishments and Standing Orders and Parliamen.tary Committees, he was also on the Combined Police Authority and was a member of the Education Committee,

He was a representative of the authority on the County Councils Association and the Royal Institute of Public Administration and was also a member of Carlton District Old People's Welfare Committee.

Chairman of the joint Carlton Le Willows Grammar and Technical Schools, he was also a Governor of all combined schools In Carlton.

Mr. Wheldon was a prominent Figure in Masonic circles being a past master of the Southwell Lodge and a founder member of the Excelsior Lodge.

Director
He held the Provincial Grand rank of Past Pursuivant and was the Provincial Sword Bearer. He was also a past member of the Galway Lodge.

Mr Wheldon the son of Carlton councillor Mr Alfred Wheldon was a director of Wheldons Dairy Ltd, and during the war was seconded
from the National Dairymen's Association to the Ministry of Food where he helped to organise the rationing of milk.

During his young days be played football for Netherfield in the Nottingham Thursday League and rugby for Nottingham Casuals.
He was also a keen boxer and swimmer Mr. Wheldon leaves a widow, one son and one daughter.

• Like 3