You must be a B1 officianado, is it safe to assume that some of the other obscure, self indulgent names, such as Strang Steel, where did that come from, and H Harold Bibby, came about because they couldn't find any other antelopes to name them after.

All the non-antelope names were LNER directors at the time of their loco's building...except for Mayflower.

Strang Steel was a Scottish director and, like all the other Scottish directors, their engines were based at either Haymarket, St Margaret's or Eastfield. The remainder were appropriately allocated to West/South Yorkshire sheds, except for Viscount Ridley (Northumbrian director) which was shedded at Tweedmouth and William Henton Carver (Humberside based director) which went to Hull's Botanic Gardens.

As my friend frequently says: "Your head is full of junk and your house is full of rubbish..."

Cheers

Robt P.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bilbraborns mention of 'aged' Colwick etc.' locomen struck a chord with me as it was the reason I left the footplate after nearly 16 years. The date you started as a loco cleaner was your 'Seniority'

Although my family worked for the LMR part of the railway, I loved the Eastern region engines. I loved all steam locomotives but I had favourites. A few years ago I wrote a poem about the days when m

I was trying not to say a certain word that could get me into trouble.

friend has just put the duchess crossing trent at radcliffe on you tube but I've YET ANOTHER problem! you tube tells me I have either javascript turn off (wheres the swiitch?) or am not on latest Adobe flash player, tried their load up, it says I've downloaded it but still no good? any ideas? (did work)

Ayup firbeck,

The B1 you mentioned as being used as a steam heating boiler at Colwick has I believe been restored and was running on the Ruddington GC rails where a mate of mine is a loco fireman,

might be worth investigating

Rog

The restored B1 is 61264, not what I thought was 61224 at Colwick.

However, after doing some interesting sniffing about, 61264 was the last B1 to be withdrawn from Colwick in 1965, becoming a stationary boiler, departmental number 29, from August 65 to July 67 when it was dumped on the scrapline. I've found a colour picture of it on the net dumped at Colwick in November 67 without it's chimney, which is interesting because a picture of it at Barry scrapyard in 71 shows it with a chimney. Thats not surprising, my picture of the last A1 I took at York in June 66 shows it with a chimney, but the A1 Tornado Society to whom I sent a copy insist it had been removed by then, but my dates are spot on, I have the details recorded on the back of the photograph.

In it's stationary boiler mode, the loco was positioned right at the back of the shed in front of the foremans office. A large pipe was stuffed into the chimney, or where the chimney had been, which took the products of combustion directly into one of the ventilator hoods. The steam for heating was taken via pipe work up into the roof, from where on the loco I can't remember, possibly the pipes to the cylinders and what the steam actually supplied is a puzzle, they couldn't have had nice household radiators around the place.

I remember that the motion had been removed and was placed along side it.

A long time ago I know, but I have a good memory for some things like it was yesterday, the enginemen seemed to be proud at having an ex-LNER engine in what had become a preserve of LMS 8F's and Class 5's.

I reckon my shed trip to Colwick was in the winter of 65/66, I'd stopped taking numbers by then and was concentrating on photographs and 'liberating' whatever remains of our railway heritage were left and about to be lost, thanks to an incident with BR, but thats another story.

So it must have been 61264, the last B1 at Colwick, luckily officially withdrawn in the days when stuff was sent to Barry Scrapyard and it's future was more or less assured.

The other preserved B1, 61306, was always lurking around Carnforth at the end of steam, I have pictures of that as well. As I've said previously, Carnforth was my happy hunting ground, it was the only working BR shed where privately purchased steam locos were allowed to be kept alongside the grimy working everyday examples.

I'm not sure where 61264 is at the moment, it may well have been working the Jacobite to Mallaig this summer and I suspect it may be back at Barrow Hill rather than Loughborough.

Oh incidentally, I love the video of the Duchess at Radcliffe, lovely stuff, she opens up crossing the bridge then we finish with a nice reflection in the pond, great stuff, could this be the only time that a 'Semi' has worked through to Grantham from Nottingham.

...could this be the only time that a 'Semi' has worked through to Grantham from Nottingham.

No...I have seen 6233 pass Bingham before - 6229 Duchess of Hamilton too.

Over the years I've also seen Union of South Africa, Sir Nigel Gresley, Blue Peter, Flying Scotsman, Greene King, Sir Lamiel, Defiant, 62005, 80080 and a few others that I can't recall...

Also remember 4079 Pendennis Castle passing the house in steam at the beginning of it's journey from Market Overton to...Hammersley Iron in Australia...lengthy trip!

BTW: Did you see my two replies above to your queries on B1 directors, 61264 and the Whitland fish?

Cheers

Robt P.

BTW: Did you see my two replies above to your queries on B1 directors, 61264 and the Whitland fish?

Cheers

Robt P.

I did indeed, I'm really impressed with your knowledge, where did it come from.

Before I forget, living in Bingham, do you know Bill Spray who lives on Station Road, if you do and see him, give him my regards, tell him that his young pal Pete from Royle & Whitehorn is still alive and kicking in Braintree, that I'm still a big pal of Adrian West, and my fiancee that I knew he never liked is confined to the history books, but I now have a missus I know he would really get on with and what has happened to his kids and caravan at Rudyard Lake, a good old boy to start your working career with, he couldn't have been better, despite our political differences, and arguments, he was a lovely bloke, I'll never forget him, it was a pleasure to see him staring down the end of his glasses every morning.

Aside from all that, the thing about the GCR through Vic was that you always had the opportunity of the unexpected. I recall walking down to Central Market one day and hearing a chime whistle, without any hesitation, I went straight down to the platform and found a Scottish Britannia lurking at the end of the platform, Firth of Forth. The driver let me in to the cab, let me test out the whistle and I was given a cab ride along the platform, magic stuff.

Despite their viewings from various mates, I never saw the steam turbine engine, GT3 or any of the GWR locos that turned up from time to time, I'd get a tip off but always see the same old stuff, well, thats what you thought then, but would give anything to see now.

I did indeed, I'm really impressed with your knowledge, where did it come from...

Suggest you should be more sympathetic, than impressed...

Juvenile enthusiasm to absorb unimportant trivia, to the exclusion of retaining important information.

Both traits still apply to me today, 50+ years on.

Can't claim to know Bill Spray, but do know of him. Did his wife used to own a Bingham dress shop?

Three Scottish 'Brits' came to Annesley during the last months - ostensibly to replace some clapped-out 'Scots'. Your Firth of Forth became a regular, along with Moray Firth...can't recall the third one.

I never saw GT3 north of Leicester.

IIRC, most of it's test runs took place between Leicester & Woodford/Neasden.

Saw many GW locos ( which almost always came off at Leicester) during my regular trips to the Rugby 'birdcage', on the 'Cutler'

The classic GW/GC event took place in the 1961? when GW Woolston Grange, which should have been removed at Leicester, carried on and on northward - due to a mix of technical and personnel issues - until the jaunt ended when her large outside cylinder struck the platform coping at...Penistone!

She was moved to Huddersfield shed for repair and to await the devising of a 'safer' route home, via West Coast lines.

Some while ago I wrote some memories of the 'Vic which are on:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nick.willis/h...y/memories.html

Cheers

Robt P.

Talking of clapped out Scots, here's a good one for you.

My older brother used to go to Mundella Grammar, it must have been a pain of a journey everyday, but I know he didn't religiously stick to his programme.

One friday he came home late from school, I never grassed him up, and said he had something exciting to show me on our regular saturday morning trip to the barbers in town.

After being given a short back and sides at the Regent Salon in Regent Street, he took me down Wilford Road, through the little gate next to the bridge into the old cattle sidings and into one of the roundhouses at Midland sheds. There, all gleaming on one of the roundhouse roads was Royal Scot, 46100, I was speechless, it had just arrived from the WCML, and was obviously the herald of things to come, we'd never seen a Scot in Nottingham before that.

That afternoon, my mate John Peck and I caught the bus into town for another look, this must have been 1960 and we were only 9 and terrified of being caught out by our parents, they would not have approved.

On attempting to get into the roundhouse, we were caught by an old boy, who turned out to be a very sympathetic driver, nominated to drive Royal Scot and very honoured to do so. He said he would pretend to be our grandfather if the foreman turned up, and promptly took us in the cab and gave us a lesson on the art of driving this wonderful beast. Imagine that today, the poor sod would probably be arrested on suspicion of being a paedophile. In those days however, he was really pleased to give us a tour of the sheds and show us which locos he had driven and their problems.

I remember a Jubilee sitting suspended under the hoist with it's centre driving wheels removed.

That wasn't the only time that happened, society, on the surface, was different those days, imagine trying that on at Toton now, assuming you get past the poxy security fencing, the age of innocent, but responsible wonder vanished a long time ago, sad isn't it.

No...I have seen 6233 pass Bingham before - 6229 Duchess of Hamilton too.

Over the years I've also seen Union of South Africa, Sir Nigel Gresley, Blue Peter, Flying Scotsman, Greene King, Sir Lamiel, Defiant, 62005, 80080 and a few others that I can't recall...

Also remember 4079 Pendennis Castle passing the house in steam at the beginning of it's journey from Market Overton to...Hammersley Iron in Australia...lengthy trip!

Cheers

Robt P.

HELP, I'M UNABLE TO VIEW ANY NEW POSTS, HAVE I BEEN CENSORED, WHATS HAPPENING. IS THERE A FAULT ON THE SYSTEM, WHAT DO I DO.

Assuming the matter will be resolved, I didn't get round to saying yesterday what a fantastic number of preserved locos have come through Bingham. For some reason, East Anglia, while having it's moments, doesn't seem to be very high up on the list of areas for steam tours, our next steam special will be 60007 to Norwich from Liverpool Street just before Xmas, perhaps they should remove it's rear bogie and rename it Royal Sovereign, what was in Gresley's mind when he streamlined a couple of B17's is beyond me, it wasn't until the advent of the Britannias that the system got the decent, powerful locos that they deserved.

Then again, I remember the neglect of the Midland system and how we used to watch the Waverley come past double headed by a Black 5 and a Compound, we had the odd Jubilee, but it wasn't until the advent of the Scots that a decent element of power was introduced into the services.

I recall being taken over to Trent Junction by my old man in an evening to watch the Midland Pullman go by as well as the Palatine, the first time we had a regular sight of a Brit on local services, imagine that, being lucky enough to hang out the window and enjoy being pulled non stop through Monsal Dale by a Pacific. I only travelled along there twice, a boring old Class 5 for me, wouldn't you give your little finger to experience that now.

HELP, I'M UNABLE TO VIEW ANY NEW POSTS, HAVE I BEEN CENSORED, WHATS HAPPENING. IS THERE A FAULT ON THE SYSTEM, WHAT DO I DO.

What happens when you hit the new post link?

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?ac...amp;CODE=getnew

What happens when you hit the new post link?

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?ac...amp;CODE=getnew

• 5 months later...

A1pacific1.jpg

Tornado passing South Muskham this lunchtime with the north bound Yorkshire Pullman.

Sorry about the bad light but I will be back at Muskham for the return so might get better pic then

Rog

pacific.jpg

Thats better, on the return trip to Kings cross, same vantage point at South Muskham at 18.30hrs, good clear sky and the sun was behind me and shining on Tornado

Rog

Lucky you, I still haven't seen Tornado yet.

You may be interested to know that 70013 is running a special from Kings Cross to Lincoln via Spalding next Saturday, it's also running from Liverpool St to Norwich on Thursday, so we'll be treated to the rare sight of mainline steam in East Anglia, I'll nip over to Hatfield Peveril Station to see it, the station manager there is a bit of a keen type, so I'll be in good company.

Funny how certain steam locos were banned from running under the wires in the 60's, the particular ones, which seemed to be chosen for no good reason, all had a yellow diagonal stripe painted on their cabsides. I seem to remember that excuses included a danger to the crew when shovelling coal forward in the tender, and the chimney being too close to the wires, which could cause a short out. Funny how these factors don't apply anymore.

Catfan,

Enhance away, be my guest. it looks better already, thanks

Firbeck, I'm working next Saturday so might not be able to see 70013, depends what time it gets to Lincoln, if it's mid PM I might just make it, to get on to the chimey being too high for the wires, if you look at Tornado's chimney it hasn't got that flange on the top it just comes to an abrupt end, could that be something to do with reducing the height?.

Incidentally, We had a walk along quite a bit of the Monsal trail today, if you want some pics of the viaduct and old station building and platform let me know

Rog

Plantfitt

The rail tour company is not forthcoming with it's timings. All I know is that 70013 leaves Kings Cross at 9:18 and returns at 20:55.

It's going to Lincoln via Spalding and Sleaford and the passengers have a 3+ hour stopover in the City. The train returns via Newark, if I find out any more, I'll let you know.

The A1's were originally fitted with rimless chimnies and Tornado is to be updated as the locos livery is gradually updated, it has nowt to do with wire clearances.

You may have seen this before, here's a picture I took of Jubilee Alberta at Copley Hill shed in Leeds in June 1966 showing clearly the dreaded yellow stripe on the tender.

ch1-1.jpg

Yes, a few pics of Monsal Dale would be nice, I haven't been there since a YHA trip in the mid 60's when the line was still active, did you bump into Julia Bradbury?

Monsaltrail.jpg

Monsal viaduct looking west towards Manchester, no Julia Bradbury yesterday but might see her next week as we are going to finish the rest of the walk,weather permitting, more pics to follow when I get a minute

Rog

Some memories jogged there Rog, I've not walked the railway , but I have climbed the hill over it from a bus that dropped us off about 8 miles away in a slightly diagonal to the left(Over that big hill) to then walk the river, Millersdale , Cressbrook mill, saw a wild Otter (About 1975) and climbed to the youth hostel , only to have to do it all in reverse to get the bus home a couple of days later!!

Up on the top (Not far from your photo position ,) there's a pub called the Bulls head ( I think) run in those days by none other than Geoff Hurst!!

Monsaltrail3.jpg

What remains of the platform,

a lot of memories for me there also Ian, it's one of the first places I went to as a young lad just starting out bird watching, looking for dippers, blackcap, kingfisher and the more exotics of the wagtail family, saw them all yesterday except for the dipper, maybe next week, there's a lovely little place at the back of Cressbrook mill that sells tea and coffee at only 75p per cup, so I will pay him a visit again, just remembered, as we got to the top of one hill four buzzards appeared for a few seconds then vanished as quick as they appeared, in my early birding days I had to go all the way to north Wales to see them, funny how things change eh??

Rog

Forgot to mention the great birdlife round that area, I saw my first dipper in The Golden Clough that drops down into Edale in about 1970 .

Re Buzzards , I saw my first in the Purbeck hills , circa 1970 too, and didn't see another for nigh on 16 years !!!,

We might come out for a spin on Sunday too (If we've finished decorating the kitchen!!) I'll P'M. you ok?

I didn't know that Geoff Hurst had a pub in the Peak District, did he live up there then.

More recently he was involved in a car insurance company along with Martin Peters, when my missus worked at a local car dealers they used to be regular visitors, she reckoned that Geoff Hurst was a lovely bloke but Martin Peters was full of himself, constantly reliving his world cup goal in the garage forecourt.

We did a hike along the river at Monsal Dale back in 1967, I've just found a picture of the Youth Hostel and valley taken then, but I have more somewhere, perhaps they should go in another thread.

Enough of that, I can't find any timings of the 70013 trip on saturday apart from what I've already published, odd that, considering thursdays trip down here is detailed precisely, I'm lucky, 70013 is having a 15 minute stopover in our local mainline station, Witham, on it's return, be prepared for lots of pictures on friday.

Ian, if you're interested, two Black 5's 45231 and 45407 are heading out of Crewe for North Wales a week on saturday, they leave at 9:20 and return at 19:45.

The week after, 9th May, your old fave 46233 is doing a run to Holyhead from Crewe, leaving at 10:00 and returning at 19:00.

For you Nottingham folk, you will be blessed with the sight of a GWR Castle class, 5043, Earl of Mount Edgecumbe, running up the Erewash Valley line this Saturday:-

Loughboro' 9:56

Trent 10:05

Toton 10:09

Langley Mill 10:20

Return

Langley Mill 19:35

Toton 19:44

Loughboro 19:55

Hopefully Fynger will be there with his camera and banjo, if you've never seen a Castle Class Fynger, they are a really magnificent looking beast, all gleaming brass and copper, worth nipping down the road from Kimberley to see it roaring through Ilkeston, it ain't far is it.

5043.jpg

The GWR always seemed to manage to get things looking so simple, yet perfectly formed, didn't the Castle Class p@ss all the other railway companies off so much, that it was the basis for so many other designs including the Royal Scots.