• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bilbraborns mention of 'aged' Colwick etc.' locomen struck a chord with me as it was the reason I left the footplate after nearly 16 years. The date you started as a loco cleaner was your 'Seniority'

Although my family worked for the LMR part of the railway, I loved the Eastern region engines. I loved all steam locomotives but I had favourites. A few years ago I wrote a poem about the days when m

I was trying not to say a certain word that could get me into trouble.

The engine named 'Springbok' was no. 61000 (I remember seeing it at Victoria Station in about 1961).

The photo is of an engine of the same class - a B1 - but I wouldn't said they were generally known as the Springbok class. In fact locomen would be more likely to call them 'Bongos' after no. 61005 which was named 'Bongo' (after a breed of antelope).

Don't know that it was official, or even semi-official, but I have often heard them referred to as the "antelopes". I well remember 61374 of Immingham as a very frequent performer on the 7.00 Cleethorpes - Birmingham and evening return 4.50 Birmingham - Cleethorpes - often double-headed by a Black 5 between Birmingham and Nottingham.

The LNER liked round top fireboxes and parallel boilers, the LMS Belpaire fireboxes and taper boilers as did the GWR. Round top fireboxes were simpler hence cheaper note used on the Austerities.

Although my family worked for the LMR part of the railway, I loved the Eastern region engines. I loved all steam locomotives but I had favourites.

A few years ago I wrote a poem about the days when me and a few friends chased around the country looking for steam as it disapeared from the main line.

The End of steam

What happened to that long gone scene

when, just just like a fading dream

Run down steam trains plied the rails,

Hauling freight and special mails.

A layer of grime, encrusting paint,

Polluted water, boilers taint.

Withdrawn locos in sidings stored,

​Necessary repairs ignored.

Furred up boilers, broken tubes,

Axle boxes needing lube.

Crewe North,Crewe South with ageing steam,

Long time since they had a clean.

BR standard locos ruled

Where remaining Brits were pooled.

Old steam shed with holes in roof,

The end was nigh, we knew the truth.

'Four-shed' Derby, near the end,

With locos too far gone to mend.

Colwick with its B1s used,

Black fives all worn out, abused.

War-time freight austerities,

Kept there for posterity.

Running class nine on Great Central,

Or just kept for departmental.

We found steam at far off lines

Working on the trans-pennine,

Manchester Central to Sheffield Mid.

Before they also steam had rid.

From Waterloo on Southern rails

Steam still used on healthy scale.

Rebuilt Bulleids four-six-two

Still showing us what they could do.

As steam from local branch withdrawn,

To the scapyard sent, forlorn.

When the country, steam bereft,

We went to where it still was left.

Mainline north-west, Tebay, Shap,

Settle-Carlisle, we took the map.

Brittania class without nameplates,

Standard fives and number eights

Working freight train o'er Long Drag,

Pumping thick black smoke and clag.

Shunting trucks at Garsdale station.

We photographed this degradation.

Even as we turned back home,

We knew the end had nearly come,

As we searched we had no doubt

That steam was quickly fading out.

All that was many years ago

When mainline steam had ceased to flow.

But we have memories of the days

When steam ruled our railways.

Happy days.

• Upvote 2

Filthy job shunting. Dangerous as well. You had to keep your wits about you. Loved it though. Remember all the mail trains at Derby and cross-shunting mail coaches from one train to another. There were so many TPOs. Derby station was so busy at night. It is sad that it has all but ended.

​Summer Saturdays at Nottingham CS was the best. We used to clear every bit of rolling stock not needed over to Low Level yard so that we had room to accommodate everything. I remember two trains of 11 each mark one carriages with only steam heating and vacuum brakes. They used to go to Devon every weekend hauled by a class 45 with a heating boiler. One day, while the coaches were stored at London Road Low Level yard, all the brass coupling heads off the steam heat pipes were stolen by gentlemen in mobile homes parked where the old cattle dock used to be.

If you ever get the chance, stand on Nottingham London Road bridge and look at the carriage sidings. You will see the very tall lighting masts. I watched them erected one Sunday morning in the late 70s using two cranes, one of which was the Toton steam operated breakdown crane.

I started my railway service in 1978 at Nottingham carriage sidings as a carriage cleaner. Within two years I had transferred to shunting and worked with train crews who had started their careers at places such as Colwick, Kirkby, Westhouses (or wet trousers LOL) and of course Annesley. These aging railwaymen regaled me with tales of the days of steam but the most interesting ones were from the ex-Annesley men. From that point on the Great Central they went everywhere. They talked about the Windcutters (Annesley to Woodford fast freight), local pick-ups from pits that are long gone; but the best stories were about the Clog and Knocker - the mostly freight line from Shirebrook North (Langwith Junction) to Beighton via Cresswell, Clowne, Spinkhill and Killamarsh. Inaugurated by the LD&ECR, it was soon taken over by the GCR and was a very difficult line for class 9 (unfitted) freight trains because of the constantly changing gradient. The guard always had to stay awake to rub the brakes to make sure the train didn't derail on catch points of which there were many. Signal checks meant much slipping and stalling upon restarting. They were busy days of absolute block working when no sooner was one train out of section when another was waiting to come in. Short goods lines adjacent to the main line allowed permissive block working when more than one train was allowed in section. Where a constant stream of trains delivered coal to foundries and steelworks, there was often a huge queue of coal trains. A driver and fireman would take up duty and often be relieved at the end of their shift just a mile down the line. Annesley crews understood this way of working very well indeed. Another era, another world.

Not former GCR but know, (knew not seen him for years since moving house) someone who works on the railways as some sort of emeg fitter, everything from signals out to lifts not working at stations and diesel loco faults, his father was on the railways as a driver, from what I gather spent whole working life as such going back and forth up and down the former MR Lenton Junction to Mansfield Line moving coal one way and empties the other between pits gas works and sidings, told what with lay up's in sidings etc to allow passenger traffic etc right of way a daily shift would allow just one train up and down with collections and drop offs, no idea if correct but that's what I was told, also recall (told previously somewhere here) going on pushbikes in the dark (winter evenings) probably 14/15 (1960/61?) with a mate to meet some Bulwell girls who went to his school, more than once finished up with them on a footbridge, near the Bennerley Branch and sidings (Lathem Street?) the amount of traffic coming and going and noise from such, shunting etc was amazing

• Upvote 1

A story from an ex-Annesley man who ended up on the Midland.

Meadow Lane Nottingham passed over the Midland line on the level and under the GNR to London Road, then under the LNWR line to Manvers St Goods. In between the crossing and the GNR bridge used to stand a large stone house once inhabited by a 16A driver and his family. I can't remember his real name but on account of his stature - tall and thin - he was called by all Split-Pin. He had a large very young family, and also an antique clock. This was his pride and joy - a family heirloom which stood on the mantlepiece in his living room.

Needless to say, in those days and with so many kids, money was scarce so a bit of coal was often secreted into his pockets on the way home.

One early morning, a class 8 hauling a train of van fits to Nottingham yard was coming up the Midland towards Sneinton Junction. The fireman was using his hammer to break up the large lumps while in between firing. As often happened, one large lump refused to break, so the driver suggested dropping it in Split Pin's garden on the way past where it would break up on impact and provide the family with some much needed coal for the fire. The Driver and fireman struggled to the door with it and with a heave and a ho, threw it into Split Pin's garden. It was about 2am so no-one would have seen.

But! The coal didn't break up. The impetus bounced it across the garden where it hit the side of the house with a mighty thump. On the other side of the wall was the mantlepiece with the clock on it. Yes you've guessed it. The impact threw the clock onto the living room floor with a loud bang and broke into a thousand pieces. Split Pin and his missis woke up to the sound of their children crying having been startled by the noise. And of course he wondered why there were bits of clock all over the floor in the living room.

The crew on the freight train were by this time approaching the turn-ff for Nottingham Yard completely oblivious to what had happened back on Meadow Lane.

Sadly, Split Pin was killed in the collision between a coal train and a parcels train at Lenton South Junction in the early 70s.

• 2 weeks later...

As railways in this country began to embrace modern technology, employees, such as I once was, had to learn new operations methods and discard the old ways. We used to called these old ways 'steam days' whether it involved steam locos or not.

When I transferred to Derby carriage sidings from Nottingham in 1985, the main lines fro Derby, north south and west were controlled by Derby Power Signalbox using the technology of the day which incorporated track-circuit block working with 4 aspect automatic and semi-automatic colour light signals on the main lines and 3 aspect automatic and semi-automatic colour light signals on the slower lines. But there was still one small instance of 'steam days' signalling at Derby at that time.

When Derby four shed was a very busy place, there were two MR design signal boxes controlling movements in and out of the locosheds. These were known as Engine Sidings No 1 and Engine Sidings No 2 signal boxes. When 4-shed was demolished and the depot turned into a diesel depot, No. 1 box was decommissioned and demolished leaving just No. 2 box. This box controlled the points into and out of the diesel depot (also unlocked the ground frame at Slum sidings). It also controlled 12 semaphore signals on the approach and exit to 4-shed.

One of the shunting turns at Etches Park - the 0700 till 1500 turn on a Wednesday - in addition to the normal shunting duties, had to put oil in the vessels behind the signal aspect lenses and trim the wicks. All the equipment was in a van body at 4 shed car park. A great little diversion from the hum-drum, but not when it was howling a gale as you had to climb up those signal ladders to get at the vessels.

Sadly, one week-end, the place was put in the possession of track men and the whole system taken out and connected to the power box.

There was a similar system in use when I worked at Nottingham Carriage Sidings but it was on the other side of the Lincoln main line at London Road Low level yard. All this was controlled by the GNR designed Goods Yard Box. There were a lot more semaphore signals here than at Derby, the majority being ground level disc signals. There were also some very interesting ex-GNR somersault signals.

We didn't have to maintain the oil and wicks of these signals as London Rd Low Level Yard had its own shunters and porters. The only job we did across there was to clip and scotch the points for the paper train to reverse into the old station. The reason for this was that the paper train had non-railway personnel on board and the yard had no facing point locks.

Sadly, all this old fashioned 'nuts and bolts' railway work has now finished in this area. Fortunately the lovely old Low Level Station is a listed building and is now a gymn. I still have my memories.

• Upvote 1

Happiest most recent memories of steam (if you could call it recent) was the celebration of MCR 150 in 1989. During one summer Sunday that year (the exact date escapes me), they used Jubilee class 45596 Bahamas and standard tank 80080, both owned at the time by Brel Ewart, for regular services between Derby and Nottingham. I was on night turn at Derby Station on the Saturday night and the two steam locos were kept in the North End Dock until required the next day. Every so often one or the other would lift the safety valves making conversation impossible. I was up early the next day to photograph the display on platform 6 at Nottingham and to get some photos from strategic positions along the line. I did this at Beeston station, the approach to Nottingham station and also on the canal bridge near the Nottingham ring road. That was the year when they ran passenger excursions into Cotgrave and Calverton collieries.

We also did the 'MOT' for steam locos being prepared for the main line. This involved weighing and balancing then examination before doing a test run up the Erewash Valley to Sheffield and back via Ambergate. If I was on days, I would get some quality shots at Etches Park sidings and occasionally at Derby station. I would also drive straight to Bennerley when I finished at 2pm to photograph it going up the Erewash Valley. This practice carried on from the late 80s through the 90s. I remember standing under Newton Lane bridge at Cotmanhay on 25th January 1990 when King Arthur class 777 Sir Lamiel passed during a very strong wind. Amazing sight.

I just happened to read about the Bennerley viaduct and am puzzled by this passage.

"Bennerley viaduct's wrought iron construction saved it from demolition. The demolition contractors who tendered for the contract to demolish the viaduct put forward amounts which were considered too high. The reason given for the high cost was that wrought iron structures could not be cut up with an oxy-acetylene torch and would have to be taken apart rivet by rivet.[12] The viaduct survived to become a grade II* listed structure. "

Is it really not possible to cut wrought iron?

I remember hearing of a time shortly after Midland crews started working freight over the ex-Great Northern line from Egginton Junction through Derby to Nottingham and Colwick. This particular crew had done their route learning and done several daytime trips, but were then rostered for a late evening run. Heading away from Egginton they approached the first signal box on the GN line - probably Etwall I guess, and were shocked to see it lit up like a chandalier. After braking gently to a stop, the driver sent the fireman hotfoot to see what what wrong. The signalman was totally bewildered by the question. "Wrong? Nothing's wrong. Why? What have you stopped for?" It seems that on the Midland, signalboxes only showed minimal lighting after dark - the only bright light was suspended low over the desk where the train register was. Putting all the lights on at night was an easily noticed distress signal. But GN/LNER/Eastern Region tradition was different...

Re the 2 steam loco's running Derby to Nottm and back, at time was unaware, having a break from "trainspotting" and spending weekends on a 23ft clinker ex lifeboat converted to cabin cruiser at Beeston Marina, would go down Saturday, spend day fishing/doing boat up/ have a meal on such the trip round local pubs, back to Marina club then spend night on the boat, amazed next morning to hear chuff chuff chuff, chuff chuff chuff, and steam whistle! thought damn, some steam special has gone through, then same or similar again! spent whole day fishing, cruising, sun bathing living in the past till lure got too much and finished up on Beeston station where we watched the jubilee go through

Ashley that was a great day but sadly came to an end too soon. Thankfully, there were loads of photographic opportunities during that celebration year.

Bilbraborns mention of 'aged' Colwick etc.' locomen struck a chord with me as it was the reason I left the footplate after nearly 16 years. The date you started as a loco cleaner was your 'Seniority' date and stayed with you as you progressed, very slowly up the ladder. First as a 'passed cleaner'you were available for firing duties then as vacancies came above you, you moved on into a link of 12 drivers/firemen with 12 weeks of alternate am/pm's.Initially it would be mostly 'round the castle' servicing the local pits up the Leen Valley then going further afield, P,boro, wellingboro, B'ham, Crewe as you progressed through the links, obviously the 12 Senior drivers & firemen were No. 1 Link working the London expresses etc. time in the 'Spare' link gave you experience of these higher class jobs together with Sunday/holiday specials etc. All the while, of course, gaining road knowledge & experience of driving if you were lucky enough to be booked with a driver prepared to put the coal on for you and I did, just the once, get to drive a 'Black 5' hauled express to London (Thank You Stan Buckby) I was about 3/4qts. up the ladder when the Midland Region boundary was moved about 2 miles east and those 'aged' Colwick, Annesly locomen on the closing of their depots needed to be absorbed! As I said Seniority ruled so I took the hint and left but with loads of memories revived by some of the posts on this topic.

S. Ford P.178 B1 on the Cleethorpe/Bham, Nottm. men on duty 2.47am prepare own engine, Class 4 tank, work 3.57 R.Mail to Lincoln shunt train, engine to St. Marks shed get breakfast relieve Immingham men & work back to Nottm. B1 OK but 'letterbox' opening to fire through took some getting used to.

'mobile home' dwellers taking brass fitting possibly moved on to the Calverton branch line when some 3000 wagons were stored there during the pit holidays, several hundred had the axle bearings removed adjacent to the A614, nothing new is there

• Upvote 2