Not good I'm afraid, I decided to change lens, before I realised what speed she was doing !!!

My own little fat controller !! and our Adam. OUCH !!............ sorry dear

Steam006.jpg

First came a 125 , about the same speed as that "Typhoon" on Sunday !!

Steam008.jpg

Steam009.jpg

Whilst waiting this popped through too (About the time the "Steamy was due")

Steam010.jpg

Here she comes

Steam014.jpg

Steam015.jpg

Steam016.jpg

Matey boy on the left decided to step out as she came in close ,Tosser.

I was sat on the platform so was in nobodies way.!!

Steam017.jpg

God it went through fast !!

Steam018.jpg

Steam019.jpg

Got to go back tonight to take our Charlotte any way!! ,so I will try with flash

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bilbraborns mention of 'aged' Colwick etc.' locomen struck a chord with me as it was the reason I left the footplate after nearly 16 years. The date you started as a loco cleaner was your 'Seniority'

Although my family worked for the LMR part of the railway, I loved the Eastern region engines. I loved all steam locomotives but I had favourites. A few years ago I wrote a poem about the days when m

I was trying not to say a certain word that could get me into trouble.

Well done mate, but you should have kicked the selfish ignorant git off the platform.

How fast was she going by the way, it looked as if the driver was really winding her up from Crewe, pity they didn't use a more appropriate carriage set from Carnforth.

The first train was a Pendolino, the second one was more interesting. It was a Class 20 with what looked like a very exotic wagon behind, I reckon it was a nuclear waste train returning to Sellafield, honest, thats what they use class 20's for and I know you can't see the wagon very well, but from what I can make out, you'd better get in the shower pretty fast and stay there for the rest of the day!!!

50 years old them Class 20's, I've still got me Hornby Dublo D8000 Christmas present from about the same time they were introduced, still in it's box.

Doubt the DRS 20 is on a nuclear waste trip as there are no barrier vehicles in the consist...

Cheers

Robt P.

Agreed, but look at the visible profile of the trailing wagon, it matches a nuclear waste carrier exactly, and it looks as if there are two 20's, perhaps it had been for a repair and wasn't carrying anything. I also found a picture on a site showing a DRS class 37 pulling a single wagon like this one from Barrow Docks without a barrier wagon, I think that Beefsteak is at fault here for concentrating too much on that blooming steam engine, he'd never be allowed to join Greenpeace.

Beefsteak

Yes, I know I'm a nuisance, but I'm shovelling out planning letters today to various councils and keep getting bored.

I'm not up with sophisticated digi cameras, we have three digis in the family ranging from my ancient effort up to my youths fairly good type that I haven't been allowed near yet.

Question is, what are good ones, such as yours, like with flash.

The reason I'm asking is because many years ago when I had, which was for then, my all singing and dancing Canon film camera with a mega dedicated flash, I attempted to take a night time shot of 'Flying Scotsman' at a level crossing near Peterborough. It was hardly hurtling along and the crossing was well lit anyway, however the image, despite being well lit, was very blurred, but then the maximum shutter speed with the flash was only 1/60.

I wondered whether digi cameras coped with things better, I don't know if they do or not.

How far is it to Crewe from where you live, 10 miles, perhaps you should take your young un' there and watch the engine changeover, static flashshots might be a better bet, besides, with a smiley kid and a bit of cheek I reckon you could get in the cab, we tried that one at Bishops Stortford station with Britannia and ended up getting a footplate ride from one end of the station to the other.

Incidentally, are you sure that the bloke who got in your way wasn't the 'jobsworth' acting under instructions.

Nah ,he was just taking pictures. By the time I'd dragged my fat ass off the deck it was too late.

As regards the camera thing , I haven't tried anything fast with flash tonight will be a first!!!

I had thought of going to Crewe but it's stupidly expensive to park , (About £6) and I'll have two little ones with me as SWMBO is at work. So it's a better idea to try and get it from the railway footbridge about a mile up the line from the station , I can get my tripod out and shoot away to my hearts content!!

Nah ,he was just taking pictures. By the time I'd dragged my fat ass off the deck it was too late.

As regards the camera thing , I haven't tried anything fast with flash tonight will be a first!!!

I had thought of going to Crewe but it's stupidly expensive to park , (About £6) and I'll have two little ones with me as SWMBO is at work. So it's a better idea to try and get it from the railway footbridge about a mile up the line from the station , I can get my tripod out and shoot away to my hearts content!!

Good luck, I shall be interested in the results.

£6:00, bloody hell, Morrisons is about 100 yards from Witham station and you can park in there for 3 hours for nowt, after that, they are cute and know you are a devious commuter, mind you, a large mainline junction station with no car park is a bit of an oddity, I don't know how they cope.

We are on the end of the branch line from Witham, what a service, regular electric trains to London and really good fares for the casual tourist. Thing is, no proper station car park in Braintree, but on the outskirts of town is a huge shopping centre with it's own station and all day free parking in a massive car park, I don't think that Network Rail have worked this one out yet, don't tell them.

Nah ,he was just taking pictures. By the time I'd dragged my fat ass off the deck it was too late....

Four 'giveaways' for the rail pictures ignoratti:

1) He will be wearing cheap, ill-fitting, clothes.

2) He will have a £10 camera.

3) He will possess blackened teeth.

4) He will smell like a skunk's jockstrap...

Cheers

Robt P.

I used to go to a place near Witham (Silverend ) to the Permacell factory

We are on the end of the branch line from Witham...

Quiz question for thee:

What was the number of the Thompson B1 that was destroyed in an accident at Witham?

No Googlin'! :tease:

Cheers

Robt P.

Best I could get , I was probably 1/2 to 3/4 of a second too quick , but I was expecting a split second delay which didn't seem to happen.

(She was 10 minutes late !!)

Steam041.jpg

Like this one ??

Steam029.jpg

The original picture before I tweaked it a little

Copy2ofSteam041.jpg

See the hand on the right ?? he was just standing there waving to the trains as they flashed through , this one doing about 70 mph !!!

Steam026.jpg

Another attempt

Steam042.jpg

As she had passed

Steam043.jpg

Best I could get , I was probably 1/2 to 3/4 of a second too quick , but I was expecting a split second...

Damned good for night photography of a speeding train...well done!

Cheers

Robt P.

Quiz question for thee:

What was the number of the Thompson B1 that was destroyed in an accident at Witham?

Cheers

Robt P.

Thats a good one, I only know of the 1905 Cromer express crash.

Without Googling, but refering to an old Combine Volume, the missing B1 is 61057, but if you do Google, and there isn't much information about the incident, the number is given as 61052, so which is right, do you have a book describing the incident.

I can see a trip to our local museum is on the cards, they have a fantastic local photograph archive.

I used to go to a place near Witham (Silverend ) to the Permacell factory

Well done, digi triumphs over film after all, I doubt whether my old Canon could have managed a shot of that clarity, what sort of speed do you reckon it was travelling at.

Silver End is an interesting place, the whole village was constructed for Crittall Windows between the wars, only trouble is, they don't operate from there anymore, much of the old factory is currently being demolished, but Permacell are still operating from part of the old factory.

Many of the houses were built in the Art-Deco style, ranging from the big managers houses, to the workers semis. All of these are now listed, one of the bigger houses has been fully restored and looks magnificent.

When we were looking to move to Braintree a couple of years ago, the price of houses in Silver End was considerably cheaper than anywhere else round here, you could by an Art Deco semi for about £150,000, and these are big houses with large gardens. Problem as far as we were concerned was the fact that we needed to have easy access to the school and madams work and Silver End was in the wrong place, pity.

I'd hazard a guess at around 70 mph , but if you can imagine , I've got a camera in my face and didn't really see it either time !!!

Quiz question for thee:

Cheers

Robt P.

Found the official report on it on www.railwaysarchive.co.uk. I gather that the fireman on the B1 was killed, it doesn't give the number of the loco though.

61057 it was...only member of the class (402?) withdrawn 'prematurely'...

Recently sold my RCTS B1 book, in which there is a picture of the loco wreckage...comparable with the famous Windward Islands photograph, post Harrow '52 disaster.

Cheers

Robt P.

Perhaps you should start a Nottingham train crash site, I recall seeing the aftermath of two.

The first was a frieght derailment in the mid 60's, just south of Stanton Gate Station, the mineral wagons were all over the place, mainly along the side of the Erewash Canal, some were there for weeks afterwards.

The other one was the pile up at Lenton Lane junction involving diesels, the wreckage was sticking up in the air, we watched them attempting to recover the remains with a couple of steam cranes, I presume it blocked the lines into Midland for days, any one else recall that one.

I recall the Lenton Jct accident...

A couple of 20's hauling coal down from Calverton, IIRC.

Didn't it collide with a Class 25 headed parcels/ecs at the junction apex?

Seem to think there was at least one fatality from the 'Chopper' crew.

Can't think of any nearer GC accident than the one at Clifton, near Rugby, in the 50's involving a Leicester V2 derailing at speed...somewhat overlooked line in the safety stakes.

Gruesome death at Cinderhill Colliery sidings, again in the 50's, when one of the shunting staff managed to get his head between a moving wagon buffer and the buffer stop!

Perhaps Ashley might know of other local incidents?

Cheers

Robt P.

Ayup firbeck,

I can remember the crash at the Lenton junction site, I used to pedal over the Lenton lane bridge every day on my way to work, always used to stop there for a smoke on the bridge and to check on the progress which if I remember correctly was very slow, was it some problem with the points to the Lenton triangle coming loose or sommat like that?

Rog

Ayup all.

Something that's come to mind whilst we are on about steam, I remember the staion master at Ruddington sweeping all the rubbish (leaves and litter) from the platform and piling it at the bridge end of the platform, standing back and checking his pocket watch, he would then stand in the doorway to one of the buildings and wave to the driver of the Master Cutler as it sped through the station heading towards Nottingham, the draft (vacuum) created by the speed of the train and it's proximity to the bridge caused the pile of litter to be dragged at great speed through the bridge and clear of the station. took me months to work out what he was doing

(just another bit of useless info, but I liked it)

Rog

I already mentioned somewhere the Great Central crash just north of New Basford Station in late 1950,s saw aftermath but anyone else have any details? As regards a quiz, What was unusual re Stainer 8F LMS no. 8071 based at Nottingham shed? finally don't forget far as I know Duchess of Sutherland is due through Nottingam and then on old GNR route to Grantham early Sat morning back about 6pm