Interesting...

Clearly the new bridge of 1939 related to the building of the ring road, and the subsequent dualling of Valley Road.

Cheers

Robt P.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bilbraborns mention of 'aged' Colwick etc.' locomen struck a chord with me as it was the reason I left the footplate after nearly 16 years. The date you started as a loco cleaner was your 'Seniority'

Although my family worked for the LMR part of the railway, I loved the Eastern region engines. I loved all steam locomotives but I had favourites. A few years ago I wrote a poem about the days when m

I was trying not to say a certain word that could get me into trouble.

Yes, the bridge came with the ring road, I assume you've seen pics of the original bridge? and the little lane that was to become valley road? Can you make out the line from the rat hole? from virtually the bridge it drops to the right of the picture going behind the houses that are approx "below" a light strip (possibly a factory roof?) in the distance. As I've mentioned elsewhere I was never a keen trainspotter like some when a kid or later, the field at the end of malton road or new basford station was as far as I went, over about the last 20 years have met or spoken to no end who went to victoria station, derby or grantham etc in the steam days but haven't a clue re "local" lines etc, I used to be the same but luckily (or otherwise?) when I did get interested in routes etc the vast majority were still in place, tunnels still open ended, bridges still in place, station remains still there or in use in a different capacity. Used to have quite a few "rare" photos inc that valley rd one but "lost at the printers"!

Regular High Pavement 'forfeit' of the mid 50's was to be sent into the rathole, if arriving late from school and missing the Grimsby-Whitland 'fast fish' on the GC.

Cheers

Robt P.

• 5 months later...

Got to go back tonight to take our Charlotte any way!! ,so I will try with flash

Please, please, do NOT use flash on or near ANY railway line, the consequences of a driver or guard being even momentarily blinded do not bear thinking about!

When any specials are about announcements are/should be made that flash photography is forbidden, this not any kind of killjoy thing but a serious and legitimate saftey concern.

Sorry to appear a bit draconian but to have a flash go off in your face when you are trying to see signals in the dark is very offputting at best.

• 3 years later...

For those interested in the Railway Heritage of Netherfield & Colwick.

I have a poster in my hand titled 'TRACKS IN TIME'

It advertises events at venues across Netherfield 23rd & 24th November.

If interested, Web Page www.gedling.gov.uk/tracksintime which will have full details from two weeks prior to the events.

Maps & weekend planners will be available one week in advance from St. Georges Centre Victoria Road Netherfield.

Phone details from Leisure & Culture Team on 01159013715

Nearly Forgot, It all Free.

One of the best railway events this year had to be "Mallard 75" at the York Rail Museum when 6 A4 were on show.I heard that Mallard was also on show at Grantham in September.July2013triptoUk028.jpg

We did too, filthy place and quite scary but we never got caught.

When the depot closed, the locals reckoned it was the first time they had seen sunshine in Colwick.

We went to Colwick once with the railway society at school. It was a change to be able to boldly walk about the place instead of having to hide. The shed warmer was an old B1 with wheels missing. My mate, a member of this forum but I won't say who, tried to unfix the shed plate off it while we distracted the forman, but it was fixed solid. And I got in the cab and pulled the stirrup to sound the whistle and it jammed - the noise went on for ages. I'd never heard anyone swear as much as the driver did.

Happy days.

When I was a shunter at Nottingham carriage sidings in the early 80s I got to know a lot of train crews who were displaced when Colwick Loco closed. One of the drivers told me that when they demolished the buildings, all the stores - spanners, buckets, lamps and all the detritus that's involved in equipping engines and brake vans- was all shoved down the well that provided the water for the engines. Whether this is true or not I'll never know.

• 4 weeks later...

It's nearly a month since we've had some train stuff. Come on you fellow railway buffs enthusiasts or ferroquinologists (phew!). Tell me some train stories. I need input. There was so much railway in Notts before the mid 60s there must be loads of anecdotes waiting to be told.