The price of beer

When I had my first 'pint' many moons ago, and my liver was a bright pink, it cost 1/11p

What did you pay for yours? - and how old were you?

15 in 1980 after William sharp youth club nineteen and half pence in the Pelican car park fetched by Reppo cause he had a tash more than likely trophy bitter then off down Bracebridge drive kick all the road bollards over , smashed a few bus sheds & telephone boxes , amazing what one pint did for you !

Yep - mine was 1/10 for a pint of bitter.

This was in the pub on the corner across from YMCA on Shakespear Street. My mate & I went to the 'Y' on a monday night, but it was dry.

We always thought that we looked older than each other,,,, until that first time.

We stood outside the pub arguing: "yo' get 'em,,,, yo' look owder thun me,,,," "nah,,,, yo' look owder - yo' get 'em" !

We even discussed what we'd say if the barman challenged us,,,,, & what we'd order.

We thought that Bitter sounded more 'adult' than Mild ! (still can't stand the taste or even the smell of mild)

In we went - and ordered 2 pints of bitter. We were almost turning round to leave,,,, but the barman pulled the pints --- and the mould was set - I ain't stopped yet.

This was before I had wheels so I guess we were 14/15.

I drank bitter until I moved to Cornwall in 1970,,,,, but it didn't take long to give the Cornish brews a miss.

This is more like it, a topic I can get me mouth around.

My first ever pint………that would be in the Clarence on Alfreton road across from Players #1 Factory…………..year 1964 I would be 16.

Not sure what the brew were but I think it would be a Shippos bitter…price? It would be between a bob and two bob.

As one walked in from the entrance on Alfreton road there is a small room to the right with a dart board in we would spend all our dinner break playing darts in there, they also sold beautiful cobs, no need to take a packing up.

In those days two pints and I was anyones, most afternoons was spent fast asleep in one of the traps in the gents…..happy days and being paid for it too.

Bip.

14 on a school camping/hiking adventure weekend in Shropshire.

It was the final afternoon and after having nothing but two Ryvitas and some jam to eat we polled up outside the small village's shop. I popped inside and bought a 2 litre bottle of strong cider - downed it in one. Kerpow.

Almost fell out the back of the 4 Tonner on the way back to Nottingham !sickly!

Ian L' tell ya

I could never stand the taste of bitter, I drank Bitter and Lime.

Ian would often come back from the bar with no lime in the beer YUK!

Sent im back to get it!

I dont know about the beer but the lime was 10p

When the price of lime went up, I went on to Mann's Brown.

One night in a Packed and noisy Yates

"A Pint of Mann's Brown Please"

"Wot?"

"A PINT of Mann's Brown Please"

"WOT?"

"A PINT OF MANNS'S BROWN PLEASE!"

"Sorry we don't sell 'Lansdown"!

I think 1 shilling and 8 pence in 1962 which co-incided with hourly rate of 16 y o apprentice electrician, every hour I was there was a pint! wife drinks house double vodka at £2.50, saw bottle pub uses on sale yesterday at £7.50 worked out pub gets 14 doubles from it so over £28 profit on each bottle, hence staying in and another pub shutting (not that she drinks that much!)

I think mild was about 1/6p and bitter around 1/8p a pint back in 1965. I know at the bowling alley club around 1966, Watney's Red Barrel was 2/6p a pint!

I think 1 shilling and 8 pence in 1962 which co-incided with hourly rate of 16 y o apprentice electrician, every hour I was there was a pint!

My first wage was 1/5 threefarthings an hour (Apprenctice Plumber).

I nearly brought the Company to a standstill when I said ",,, there's no such things as farthings any more -,,,, why not make it 1/6 an hour ?" Deep intakes of breath from the bosses & office staff,,,,,,,

They explained that this was the going rate all over the Country,,,, and that it would be 'illegal' to pay 1/6 !

Of course, if the weeks pay ended up with the odd farthing,,,, we lost it "COS THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A FARTHING" !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I coulda bin rich but for all those lost farthings,,,,,,,,,,,

Let us all be seated whilst we talk of gods greatest invention ,,,,BEER,,,

In the Naafi in 1978 Bitter (Red Barrel IMMSC) was 7p a pint Lager was 8p .

Earl of Chesterfield on Carlton Hill (Bruno) Home Ales Bitter was 10p and Lager 12p ,Mild was also on sale at 9p

(Weekly wage £21.50p)

I think my pay was around 1 pound 15 shillings and was around 3 quid the second year, so I left and became one of Lord Robens apprentices at 8 quid a week!! When I'd come out my time I was on 18 quid a week including shift allowance and underground allowance.

I was the highest paid apprentice at one time at Clifton when I was on regular nights with loads of overtime if I wanted it. I was walking out with more than my old man earned driving a truck six days a week!

Just got in from watching the England game , and Guinness was on at £2 a pint !!!!!!!! lovely

Just got in from watching the England game , and Guinness was on at £2 a pint !!!!!!!! lovely

Diet out the window then mate??? :biggrin:

We used to go to the public bar and play darts at the Admiral Rodney, Wollaton, 67-68, half a pint of Home Ales mild, which was just about all we could afford, was about 10d (4p), the same price as a packet of 5 Park Drive from Trowell Road offie.

Meanwhile, a bottle of Newcy Brown in the Buttery Bar at Nottingham Uni was 2/6d (15p).

Bargain of the lot was the local cider from the Luttrell Arms in Dunster, Somerset, when I worked at Minehead Butlins 1969, that was 10 shillings (50p) a gallon including the container, no-one, including the most hardened drinkers in the camp, ever got past 5 pints without requiring hospital treatment, I can still taste it now, petrol was a more acceptable drink, it cost me my DJ job in the local cellar bar, it's still encrusted in the tracks of some of my old singles.

The first pub beer I bought was when I used to go to the Speedway in Long Eaton. The pub (The Pavilion) in front of the stadium had a "sales window" at the back, on the stadium grounds, and we would summon up the courage to buy beer. It would have been around 1967 so I was 16 at the time!

I seem to remember a half was 11d - so a pint would have been 1/9d or something like that.

Now - well our local hotel sells a US pint of Guiness for about $4 - not bad, but not a bargain considering it is 20% less beer than an Imperial Pint!

Not sure where my first pint at the bar was, probably The White Hart at Daybrook. M & B Bitter was 17p a pint (mild 16p and the new-fangled lager at a whopping 19p!) Locally though I'd sometime walk up to Bill Whare's Wgaon & Horses at Redhill and pay 14p for a superb pint of Home Bitter. The cheapest pub I knew at the time (around 1976) was in my old man's boozer, The Nelson on Front Street, Arnold at 13p for more of the excellent Home nectar.

First time slippered was at age 13 with a cousin when staying at Grannie's up in Scotland. We'd a big bottle of Woodpecker each and on the top deck of the bus home from Glasgow and both fell all the way down the stairs in a heap at our stop in Bellshill, Lanarkshire. The next occasion was a year later at Hogmanay with the old fellah returning from his night out. Eight large whiskies and that was me out for the count for days.

I also fondly remember my early college days at Trent Polytechnic. Lunchtime would mean a pint or two of Stella - not such common place stuff in those days - at The Peach Tree and walking round the Victoria Centre completely out of it afterwards. God knows how I managed any study in the afternoons...hold on a minute...

Ayup all,

1969, 11d per half pint of bitter from the Grey Mare, Clifton estate, 3 Woodbines with 2 matches was 8 1/2d from Clifton village shop

Rog

Let us all be seated whilst we talk of gods greatest invention ,,,,BEER,,,

In the Naafi in 1978 Bitter (Red Barrel IMMSC) was 7p a pint Lager was 8p .

Earl of Chesterfield on Carlton Hill (Bruno) Home Ales Bitter was 10p and Lager 12p ,Mild was also on sale at 9p

(Weekly wage £21.50p)

I have just realised that I am a pathological liar. Where I got these prices from I don't know!!

The NAAFI was 14p and 16p. In the Bruno 27p Mild , 28p bitter 32p lager.

3 Woodbines with 2 matches was 8 1/2d from Clifton village shop

Nice one Rog.....

I'd forgotten that you could buy ciggies one at a time from the local newsagents.

Care to try it these days???

towards mum's payday I often had to take a few bottles back to the 'offie and then buy 5 Park Drive tipped with the deposits just realised (about 5p)

Ayup Frank,

The Woodbines were in a packet made just for three fags, and the two matches seems a bit odd but the idea was you could light one fag with one match, and next time you give one fag away and light the two with one match, don't suppose that would happen much today either,

The ice cream van out side school would sell you an Embassy fag for thrupence about 1 1/4 new pence

now i'm getting boring

Cheers

Rog

The bloke in the offie on Trowell Road would split packets of Park Drive and sell them individually, I reckon they were 3d as well, gave you a hell of a headache and a sore throat.

Didn't you get 3d back on returning an empty quart bottle of Shipstones Nut Brown. Sometimes he'd put the empties out in wooden crates for collection and some kids would take them out and take them back into the shop for their threppenny bits, cheeky sods.

Sounds like you'r speaking from experience there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(We used to do it, round the back of the 'offie' on Burton Road)