WE RETURNED TO OLD RADFORD, GARFIELD ROAD TO BE EXACT AROUND 1960, WE ALL WENT TO FORSTER STREET SCHOOL , THEN ON TO COTTESMORE SCHOOL.

MY MUM USED TO GET ALL HER SHOPPING FROM DENMAN STREET,THERE WAS A BUTCHERS CALLED SPOTS, FORDS,A TOY SHOP WERE YOU COULD SAVE ALL YEAR AND PUT THINGS BY,

WOODS THE VEG SHOP,ELLAS THE NEWSAGENTS WERE I HAD MY FIRST SATURDAY JOB, I CAN REMEMBER THE HOUSES BEING PULLED DOWN AND THE FLATS BEING BUILT, WE USED TO PLAY ON THE DEMOLITION SITE , REFERED TO AS THE BOMB BUILDINGS, WE ALL USED TO GO PLAY ON PADDLING POOL PARK, ANYBODY REMEMBER ANY OF THESE?

• Upvote 1

L Badders sweet shop?

My mum went to Cottesmore abit before you (1938) but my grandparents remained in Lenton till there deaths (My granpa would have been 100 this year)

We had a Fords shop in Netherfield too.

Oh Hartley Road near there was a Newsagent George Sanders, who was Polish.

Last time I saw him a couple of years ago, Hhe had the Newsagents in Stapleford, at the traffic lights, opposite the nick.

A bit further up on the same side in the 60's was a Trinket shop called Vanity Fair. I think its still there.

Oh Hartley Road near there was a Newsagent George Sanders, who was Polish.

Last time I saw him a couple of years ago, Hhe had the Newsagents in Stapleford, at the traffic lights, opposite the nick.

A bit further up on the same side in the 60's was a Trinket shop called Vanity Fair. I think its still there.

yes i remember the newsagents,and vanity fair, my mum ands dad used go to the boulevard pub every night about 9 oclock for a couple.

Anderson's (Ando's) pawnbrokers opposite the entrance to Sidney Pearson hill infants later moved across the boulevard opposite corner to your Spots butchers which was then Bacon Bros , also Simmons hardware shop Denman/Radford Blvd corner .

hi , yes remember the pawn shop , my mum visited a couple of times.lol

and simmons hardware shop, across the way was a jewellers called wagners

• 4 weeks later...

Bomb buildins and the pawn shop .....now there's some old memories, I lived on Harold Road, just off Hartley road 1953 to 1971 and I had a great Grandma who lived on Independent St, I used to visit her every day to make her fire, there were bomb buildings just off Denison St where I used to play, and a paper shop where I used to by my copy of Bunty...loved it because it had a cut out doll with clothes on the back page. Both my Mum and Dad used to drink at the Clarence on Alfreton Road and the Alma, they never went out till about 9.00pm, for the last rounds as they would say. My Mum would have her rollers in all day ready for the evening, they were also both in the darts team.

Mal..there's no need to quote the previous text, just click on the Addreply button.its the middle one between Fastreply and Newtopic then type your message in..easy....women!!!!must have a word with Phil about you! :biggrin:

pete c....still riding a vespa

• 6 years later...

I was born and lived on forster st oposite the school i went to sidney pearson hill, my grandad and dads shop was Simmons hardware on the boulevard denman st corner.

my dad still lives in radford,i moved some years ago, many happy memories though

• Upvote 1

Welcome to Nottstalgia jonny7.

There are a lot of previous threads here about Radford topics, but unfortunately you've latched onto one which isn't very interesting ! Take a look here, and you'll find a much bigger range of memories and photos of the area. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showforum=38

Was the shop opposite 'Vernons' self service store,? i worked there in the 60s,when it was converted from counter service,the Manager was a lovely 'Irish' chap...........and welcome 'jonny7'

• 1 month later...

I went to Forster Street School and then on to Cottesmore. Left school in 1960.

I remember Simmons Hardware and Pascoe's Electrical shop on the Boulevard. A mate of mine worked there but I think he got into a bit of trouble.

Another mate worked at Johnson's menswear in Denman Street. I also seem to recall an off licence (Charnells I think, and a grocers shop in denman Street called Cheethams.

You could buy big mixed bags of sweets there for threepence and also Spanish Root for a halfpenny. Great days.

• 2 months later...

As my dear old Mother passed away this time last year,I thought this area of NS was ideal; given she was a true Radford Woman..tough,loving and fair. She loved the fritters from Skills chip shop and liked a drop of Mackeson too!! Playing some Moodies for you Mam.