Local nicknames for Pubs

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^^^ I too like Mary's father in laws reason for the name but believe its was the grand windows that gave it its name, they would have been something to behold when it was first built.   Howe

You are quite correct Mary, but the trolley bus could pull in to the terminus easily, you can see the overhead wires here. Only the tram had to "swing" the poles around.   As a m

Back in the late 60s me and a few friends used to frequent The Grosvenor on Mansfield Rd. Warm Home Ales bitter or mild was the drink of choice back then. Lager was an expensive German drink although

Clifton Bridge Inn was called the Ponderosa because it had the biggest car park around, like the TV western Bonanza's land was called the Ponderosa because it had the biggest land around, the Man of Trent was always called the Manor when I used to frequent the place.

Top house, middle house, Brickies, Tillo's and the Hoss were all in Ruddington

What was the Swinger at Bulwell Hall est' called before it was called the Swinger, & why is it now called the Swinger? I heard it was something to do with a well endowed lady.........................

Clifton Bridge Inn was called the Ponderosa because it had the biggest car park around, like the TV western Bonanza's land was called the Ponderosa because it had the biggest land around, the Man of Trent was always called the Manor when I used to frequent the place.

Top house, middle house, Brickies, Tillo's and the Hoss were all in Ruddington

Clifton bridge inn was called "The Ponderosa" because the landlords name was Ben Cartwright as in the western series

• Upvote 1

Clifton bridge inn was called "The Ponderosa" because the landlords name was Ben Cartwright as in the western series

Falacy I'm afraid, Rog is correct

Apparently the Tram terminus was there and they swung the poles round. Not sure on that tho. It was also far away from Cinderhill pit, far enough for anyone swinging the lead (taking day off)

Hi plantfit. man of trent. me and my mates always said M- of trent but people have their own nick names for pubs. as for top. bottom we never called them that it was mare and winno . Some people called the shops top middle bottom.

Not disputing the name above the door , but it was know as "The Ponderosa" from when it first opened because of the large open carpark, unless you too want to accuse my mother of being a pathological liar (As her brother, my late uncle Jack ) was the first landlord there !!!!

Does the Mucky Duck (Grey Goose) still host weekly motorbike gatherings?

Two nicknames that come to mind are "The Bollock" (Sir John Borlace Warren) on Canning Circus and "The Colour Bar" (The Wheatsheaf on Illson Rd) .

Bollock from Sir John Bollock Warren and Colour Bar from the fact that my mate and me were the only whites to use it regularly, when I lived across the road.

In Arna We never referred to The Druids Taven by its full name, it was always 'Druids'; likewise the Maid Marion was always 'The Maid'.

You'd find it difficult to get a pint in "The Mucky Duck" mate , let alone the Monday night bikers night, it was demolished last year !!

The Queen Elizabeth on Bottle Lane was known (Obviously) by all and sundry as "The Q.E." A gang of mates and I used to refer to the Dog and Partridge , the Dog and Zog (God only knows why!!) The Spread Eagle was always "The Spread", The Inn for a penny" was nicknamed the "Inn for ten quid" by us regulars of the early /mid 80s.

Oh just remembered another , The Westdale Tavern was known as ''The Wessie'

Not disputing the name above the door , but it was know as "The Ponderosa" from when it first opened because of the large open carpark, unless you too want to accuse my mother of being a pathological liar (As her brother, my late uncle Jack ) was the first landlord there !!!!

I am not accusing any one of being a liar but you are mistaken it was called "The Ponderosa" because of the name Cartwright, I was There were You!!!

• Upvote 1

I'll go with you on that Cliff.

I've been trying to find out when Uncle Jack was there and what year it was built , to no avail so far , all I can accertain was that he was there from opening till around 1961

There was (is) a pub in Basford known as The Bowling Green, Ashley will know th the real name. The Fox and ?????. I think it was (is) on Lincoln Street.

• Upvote 1