Local nicknames for Pubs

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^^^ I too like Mary's father in laws reason for the name but believe its was the grand windows that gave it its name, they would have been something to behold when it was first built.   Howe

You are quite correct Mary, but the trolley bus could pull in to the terminus easily, you can see the overhead wires here. Only the tram had to "swing" the poles around.   As a m

Back in the late 60s me and a few friends used to frequent The Grosvenor on Mansfield Rd. Warm Home Ales bitter or mild was the drink of choice back then. Lager was an expensive German drink although

Friar Tuck in Arnold had a nickname, it was a spoonerism.

How could I forget that!

Bestwood village also had a 'top and bottom house' at one time. Bottom House was the Miner's Welfare and Top House the now closed Bestwood Hotel.

Nicknames in Arnold as Compo alludes to were invariably just abbreviations: the Keys, the Nellie, the Jockey, the Robin, the Tuck etc. I did sometime hear the Flying Horse referred to as the 'Flying Pig' or Flying Bobbo' occasionally. The Working Men's Club on Front Street was usually known as 'Top Club'.

• 1 year later...

The white horse bottom of farraday road was called bobbo! The white hart in bramcote was set on the near top of a hill and was always called top house, the railway inn in nevvo was known as jackie bells........ which im sure was the very old landlords name but still was called jackie bells by the locals inc me when ah wer nokina burdoff dainon manvers street. Bleddy luvlea sh'wur unall!

I remember when we lived on Blue Bell Hill Road my mother used to talk about a pub nicknamed 'The Two Heads'. I think - if I remember right - it was the Sir Isaac Newton. On Glasshouse Street?

She reckoned it was known as The Two Heads because there was a head of Newton shown on each side of the pub sign. But that must have applied to any pub named after a person, so why it was only this one with that nickname I don't know.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I used to own the Countryman Pub at Kirkby in Ashfield It was originally know as the Lime Burners but changed it's name over 20 years ago ,and is still referred to by the locals as the Bonners .

Bob. I often visit my parents in Selston. Navigate me to the Countryman.

When I took my final trade practical test at Bentinck training centre, come lunchtime, the Instructor told us, "Don't go to the pub " Of course when we got outside the workshop, one of the lads said lets go for a liquid lunch! Say no more, we all probably ended up at the Countryman pub...

When I went to mining craft day release at Arnold & Carlton collage we'd toddle off to the local pub at din-dins time, we'd come back pi**ed up & fall asleep all afternoon, lol. I received a warning about it off Hucknall pit training officer, still did it though. :)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The Clock on which was once Birkin Avenue was renamed the Wheeltappers and Shunters, then the Clock. Its real name was the Avenue pub.

For some years it was run by a Jamaican bloke called Spider, but I think he died last year. There is still a bullet hole in the toilet window glass where there was a turf war between drug dealers a good few years back.

Was my local 40 odd years ago, before they had turf wars !

Catfan

It was one of the pubs my father took me to when I was 18 (ish) that would be back in the late 70s. What an atmosphere it had. A proper working man's pub. I've never fogottten that feeling. Sometimes in the working mens clubs and miner's institutes you gan get the remnants of that atmosphere.

I fondly recall the Shippos there. That bitter, almost lemony taste is a fond memory.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

the nags head on carlton hill was always called `naggo` my mams house was right next to it,and my grandparents next door but one from mams,grandad used to send me to the side door with a jug for some ale.,not sure if your age mattered then...the houses were knocked down and now flats stand in their place,the pubs still there.

Nags closed down at the moment but not boarded up. Has been pretty vibrant pub in recent years with a dedicated clientele but recent couple running it broke up (so I heard) so no one to run it presently. Has one of those "Run this Pub Business" signs outside which is never encouraging.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 20/03/2014 at 9:44 PM, seaside walker said:

What about the Ginger Tom Colwick Road near the railway crossing. Now flats

Yay. Got a free pint on the house the day that opened, about 1965 I think. And joined the darts team. I seem to remember the Juke box always playing Tom Jones what's new pussy cat and The Fortunes Here it comes again. Which is what we sang to anyone of the gang who'd drunk too much and was surrendering it to the lav. Prior to that we were customers of the Manvers back room: darts, table skittles, Juke box, beer. Rinse and repeat next evening. Calmed down a bit since then.

• Upvote 1

Round Sneinton market in the 80s was the Prits, Cliffoe (Clifton later Marketside), Bath, Vine, Madhouse, Alfred's, (Earl) 'ow, Lamp, Billy, Peel, Stag, Castle, Mill. Brit,   (Admiral) Drunkan. And once a year the beer fest in Vic baths. Done 'em all but not all in the same lunchtime.