Local nicknames for Pubs

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

One or two pubs that I remember seem to have had unusual nicknames; according to my late father, the Fox and Grapes (now the "Peggers") on Sneinton Market was known locally as the "Pretty Windows", anyone know why?

Another one, a disreputable dive when I knew it during the 80's, was "Jackie Bell's" A.K.A. the Railway Hotel at Netherfield.

Any more? There must have been quite a few but time has fogged my memory.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^^^ I too like Mary's father in laws reason for the name but believe its was the grand windows that gave it its name, they would have been something to behold when it was first built.   Howe

You are quite correct Mary, but the trolley bus could pull in to the terminus easily, you can see the overhead wires here. Only the tram had to "swing" the poles around.   As a m

Back in the late 60s me and a few friends used to frequent The Grosvenor on Mansfield Rd. Warm Home Ales bitter or mild was the drink of choice back then. Lager was an expensive German drink although

It's strange how pubs have now officially adopted their nicknames. Was Jackie Bells once run by Jackie Bell?

Quite a few in Bulwell and Sneinton, the Monkey, Swinger, Top house, Market side, the Lamp.

Must be many more.

Den.

The Grey Goose near what was Gedling Colliery was known as the "mucky duck"

At Clifton, there was the "Top and Bottom Houses" Cant recall the real names though, too long ago.

I think it was the Smiths arms on Sneinton Rd that is now called the Lamp.

What about the Madhouse, possibly because of an annexe of Mapperly asylum nearby.

Don't forget the Tit pub, Duke of Cambridge with topless Barmaids.

How many pubs are known as Mucky Duck, White Swan etc.

Den.

• Upvote 1

Ayup Scriv,

Pretty windows got it's name from the spotless white lace/net curtains that were always up at the windows, sommat other pubs dint seem to do

Rog

Ayup Scriv,

Pretty windows got it's name from the spotless white lace/net curtains that were always up at the windows, sommat other pubs dint seem to do

Rog

Ta fer that Rog

Another bit of info just came to mind; was a previous landlord a champion boxer, who had a bit of a reputation for dealing with rowdy customers without bothering the bobbies? Might have got me facts mixed up mind.

Ayup Scriv,

Quite possible given the clientele, hawkers and street traders from the fruit and veg market, did you know the pub was allowed to open at about 6 am daily to allow the market traders to get a drink?

Rog

Ayup Scriv,

Quite possible given the clientele, hawkers and street traders from the fruit and veg market, did you know the pub was allowed to open at about 6 am daily to allow the market traders to get a drink?

Rog

Most 'market' towns had (probablystill have)a pub that could open at almost anytime in the a.m. for the market traders I used to deliver to markets up & down the country & saw dozens of 'em.

Incidentally, when I first came to Cornwall, there were 'market' days in quite a few towns. When the pubs closed at 2-30, there were the odd pub or two that could stay open till about 6-30. (usually they didn't shut at 6-30 anyway,,,,)

Penzance was tuesday, Truro was wednesdays & st Austell was thursdays,,,,, if you were in training to be alchy, you had to know which towns had which market days (or so I believe).

TT Baz (lol)

Ayup Bazzer,

interesting about the opening times for these Market area's, do these rules/statutes or what evers date back to very early dates?

John, Top house at Clifton could have been The Grey Mare and bottom house would have been The Winning post, I also know of top, middle and bottom houses in Ruddington but not sure what the pubs are called, soon will though when someone reads this

Rog

interesting about the opening times for these Market area's, do these rules/statutes or what evers date back to very early dates?

Rog

I really don't know. The Cornish ones were actually called 'Market Days',,,,,, but as long as I can remember there hasn't been an actual market in said towns for many years.

It is a statute thing as well,,,, each pub would have its concomitant licenses,,, so it’s not just that any pub can stay open if it wants.

(I don’t want it to seem as though I know too much about pubs,,,,, mind you my Dad was born in The Old General (his parents had it at the time,,,,, they weren’t just boozing there,,,,,,,,,)

Ayup Scriv,

Rog

I did, mate; never tried it mesen though I did often use the caff in the fruit market if I were coming back from town late.

As some have said above, quite common in market towns, think the Ossington at Newark was another which did that.

O.K Gentlemen (and the ladies too )

Pretty windows gets it's nickname from it having stained glass windows.

Bruno (Earl of Chesterfield , Carlton ) from the days when a man used the hostelry, and tied his dancing bear outside on his way to Goose fair each year.

Jackie Bell did indeed run the Railway for many years . ( and held quite a bit of land in the area too)

The Lamp was because it has a single lamp outside (Above the door)

And finally "The Madhouse" was so named because of it's close proxmity to the lunatic asylum that was on Dakyne street opposite

Hope this helps

Catchems Corner in Basford was actually The Station Hotel, but because of its close proximity to (now im not sure if its the railway station that was, or the tram stop, again that was, years ago)

There was also The White House, cos of its external paint colour,actually The Lord Nelson in Sneinton, and The Kids, The Royal Children.

A pub down here changed its name some years ago. There was going to be a new police station built across the road, so they actually renamed the pub The Happy Pig. not a 'nick' name,,,, (tee flippin hee)

Bit unfortunate,,,, cos the P.Station was never built,,,,,,,, tho' a Fire Station was.

After a while the original name (slightly different) was put back,,,,

Catchems Corner in Basford was actually The Station Hotel, but because of its close proximity to (now im not sure if its the railway station that was, or the tram stop, again that was, years ago)...

Adjacent to the long defunct Basford North railway station...

Cheers

Robt P.

• 3 years later...

Jacky bells pub was apparently owned by some one called jacky bell years ago, Iv never been in myself, iv noticed the lack of windows it has though & allways been told what a 'bob'ole' it was & prob still is. The grey goose pub in gedling has been nocked down! & the chesterfield arms 'The cheggo' is no more, its now a flaming grill bar & is now called the Gedling inn. Used to work at Inn for a penny in carlton, had a couple of old'ens who still used to refer to the place as the Oak. Not sure about nicknames, round here they just seem to get shortened. Chesterfield arms was the Cheggo, Grey goose was the goose or mucky duck & inn for a penny was just the penny.

I can remember going into the The King William IV or " King Billy " in Sneinton. Haven't been there for years....is it still there?

And it's been mentioned before, but strangely not on this thread; the Clifton Bridge Inn at Silverdale was always known by locals as the Ponderosa. Never been in, but apparently because it resembled the ranch on one of the early 1960s TV westerns.

• Like 1