Local nicknames for Pubs

2 hours ago, catfan said:

The now gone Forest Hotel @ Bulwell Hall was always referred to as "The Swinger" . Summat about swinging overhead poles around on the trams @ the nearby terminus.

Hi 

I think if I remember it used to be the 44 trolley bus terminus and to send the bus in the opposite direction this was the only way it could turn around. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^^^ I too like Mary's father in laws reason for the name but believe its was the grand windows that gave it its name, they would have been something to behold when it was first built.   Howe

You are quite correct Mary, but the trolley bus could pull in to the terminus easily, you can see the overhead wires here. Only the tram had to "swing" the poles around.   As a m

Back in the late 60s me and a few friends used to frequent The Grosvenor on Mansfield Rd. Warm Home Ales bitter or mild was the drink of choice back then. Lager was an expensive German drink although

Reckon you spot on Mary............now called the 'swinger car wash'.....run by our eastern european friends..........do a good job inside and out for a tenner,.........try my banter with em.......don't work......they all seem so serious.......even when i try 'labasetas' or even 'gindobra''.....Lithuanian and Polish for good morning or hello................don't matter though they probably Latvian........lol.

Seven pubs in Ruddington and only one has changed its use, that is the Three Crowns, known as Top Ahs, a Hardys house and now an Asian restaurant; next down Easthorpe St is Middle Ahs, used to be Shippo`s; on the corner Tillo`s, The Red Lion, Home Ales; Brickies on High St, The Bricklayers, Home Ales and now The Framebreakers,; The Oss, The White Horse, Home Ales; down Wilford Rd The Vic, Victoria Tavern, a Free House; and last but not least The Jolly, Jolly Farmers, a Home Ales pub now known as The Ruddington Arms.

Over the years I reckon that to keep six out of seven as going concerns says a lot for the determination and perseverance of the locals against all the odds!!

• Like 1
21 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Hi 

I think if I remember it used to be the 44 trolley bus terminus and to send the bus in the opposite direction this was the only way it could turn around. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

You are quite correct Mary, but the trolley bus could pull in to the terminus easily, you can see the overhead wires here. Only the tram had to "swing" the poles around.

image.jpg

image.jpg

As a matter of interest that terminus was exactly as I remember in '74 when I joined NCT & frequented the 44 terminus daily !

Photo's courtesy of http://www.trolleybus.net/n2.htm

• Like 2
On 15/09/2017 at 1:27 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Am I right in thinking this was the Ginger Tom - and also had another name at some time in its life.

dyS1Ox3.jpg

I think the other name for this pub was "The Starting Gate"

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2008 at 11:22 PM, Scriv said:

That might indeed be what I'm thinking of Ashley, could be mixing the boxer bit up with summat else.

Thanks for that.

Hi Scive 

Each time people mention "Pretty Windows" like on TV the other night, they all say it's because of the pattern glass in the windows, but my father-in -In-law (long gone now) use to say that it was the poachers who after a night poaching would hang all their catches on the Pretty Windows railings. I know who I think is right.

The boxer pub might be the "Bendigo" Sneinton Hollows.

Mary1947, the Starting Gate is in Colwick, near the Toby. 

Ginger Tom was then called Huckleberrys for a bit before it closed.

Have to say I like the poaching alternative for Pretty Windows. Wonder what they hunted around Sneinton though...

• Like 1

^^^ I too like Mary's father in laws reason for the name but believe its was the grand windows that gave it its name, they would have been something to behold when it was first built.

However having said that when the Fox and Grapes was  built in 1833 Sneinton was described as a village on the outskirts of Nottingham and the old maps show plenty of green fields around the at the time, so there would be game and where there's game there's poachers.

If I go back to the 1950s my uncle Wag Hopewell who lived at 4 Needham road Arnold had ploughed fields at the bottom of his garden. He and my father both poachers would slip through his bottom hedge and be off over Mapperley tops with out ever going on a road. More or less the first place they would come across would be Middlebeck farm on the tops and once there it was farm land all the way.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I've just been browsing the bus threads, some posts referring Hanley street. I used to get on my bus home there and I now have vague vision of a pub attached to the west end of the CO OP at the top of that narrow street the bottom of which came out on Toll Hill. Was there a pub there coz I'm sure I've been in it?

• 1 year later...

For Scriv:

I know it's sometime since your request for info on pub names, but the best I can offer is:
Peggers was probably so named probably as a word used by market stallholders being known as peggers (a little like 'stakeholders'' in the USA pioneering days when settlers staked out a piece of land, thus the marketeers pegged out a plot that they would hopefully hold in perpetuity)  

The Fox and Grapes was first nicknamed 'Pretty Windows' because the landlord.s wife maintained attractive curtains. The pub remained closed for a long time until Banks's came along and renamed it Peggers.

The pub in netherfield, originally The Railway Hotel became known as Jackie bell's after it's one time popular landlord. It's now full of flats/apartments called 'Jackie Bell's Apartments'.

On 10/15/2008 at 3:55 PM, plantfit said:

Ayup Scriv,

Pretty windows got it's name from the spotless white lace/net curtains that were always up at the windows, sommat other pubs dint seem to do

Rog

I have answered this question before     " Pretty  Windows" was the name the poachers gave it after a good nights poaching, they would hang Rabbits, Pheasant;s, Partridge, on the iron railings that went in front of each window , while downing a well deserved pint. My farther in law told me this age's and age's ago, and he should know;

On 10/15/2008 at 4:18 PM, Scriv said:

Ta fer that Rog

Another bit of info just came to mind; was a previous landlord a champion boxer, who had a bit of a reputation for dealing with rowdy customers without bothering the bobbies? Might have got me facts mixed up mind.

your thinking of a pub called The Bendigo

On 3/5/2012 at 7:40 PM, denshaw said:

Apparently the Tram terminus was there and they swung the poles round. Not sure on that tho. It was also far away from Cinderhill pit, far enough for anyone swinging the lead (taking day off)

it was also the 44 trolley bus terminus which had to have it's poles swung back round so it could go back to colwick.

On 3/6/2012 at 12:25 AM, denshaw said:

The Westminster on Saint anns well road also known as Wessie.

Sorry denshaw but it is St Ann's Well Road  but pub name is correct

1 hour ago, mary1947 said:

it was also the 44 trolley bus terminus which had to have it's poles swung back round so it could go back to colwick.

Mary, trolley buses don't need to change poles round. At the terminus at Bulwell hall there was/is a turn round so the trolley bus can do a ' U turn' . The overhead wires looked like a spider web. B.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
On 10/15/2008 at 11:56 AM, hippo girl said:

the white lion in bramcote village has always been known as the TOP HOUSE, but the sherwin arms at the bottom of the hill has always been the sherwin!

my old boss lived there his dad was landlord poole was his name Peter his son my boss told me he fell a sleep in the bath and there was a big old ascot gas water heater on the wall it had gone out that's what made him go to sleep he was slowly being tased which knowing because he had been there a long time his dad was shouting him so he pushed the door in and saved hi life 

Didn't  the pub at the top of commercial road be known as 'Top House', proper name, Lime Kiln Inn. (Bulwell).

(Hoewood road, I believe).

Denshaw, was it called "Coopers Arms"?  Bloody daft I  know, considering I used to drink in there when we lived on Dogwood Avenue.

It was always referred to as the "Top House".

Also the Framesmiths Arms in Bulwell town was always called the Monkey, now under new management the pub has been renamed the "Monkey".

• 3 months later...

I think someone has already mentioned the Nags Head and the Bruno, but pub names round Carlton used to get abbreviated and an O added on to them, so the Nags Head became the Naggo, the Old Volunteer the Vollo.  

The Inn for a Penny was the Royal Oak before it was renamed. On a recent visit back to Carlton, I noticed some of the old places have now disappeared. The Grey Goose (where I met my wife) has been knocked down, the Porchester is now some sort of shop, The Carlton Hotel has been knocked down for housing, as has the Cavendish, so I understand. The Westdale Tavern is now the local Coop!