Local nicknames for Pubs

I used to live near that area and can remember a few pub names and places.

The Punchbowl on Porchester Road is still there; what used to be a Co-op on Carlton Hill (the flat bit at the top) is now a Wetherspoons called the Free Man; the Windsor Castle near Carlton Square has gone; and the Coopers Arms at the bottom end of Porchester Road is housing.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^^^ I too like Mary's father in laws reason for the name but believe its was the grand windows that gave it its name, they would have been something to behold when it was first built.   Howe

You are quite correct Mary, but the trolley bus could pull in to the terminus easily, you can see the overhead wires here. Only the tram had to "swing" the poles around.   As a m

Back in the late 60s me and a few friends used to frequent The Grosvenor on Mansfield Rd. Warm Home Ales bitter or mild was the drink of choice back then. Lager was an expensive German drink although

Yes, they knocked down the old Toby Jug on Carlton Hill and turned it into a shop, then they turned the Co-op into the Wetherspoons pub. Not too many of my old watering holes left. I think the Tally Ho on Oakdale Rd and the Elwiss/Lodge at the very end of Oakdale Rd are still there, though I’ve not been up that way for years.

They rebuilt the Windsor in Carlton Square, when Tesco opened in the 1980’s, but it was boarded up the last time I went past.

• Upvote 1

Somehow I managed to get served in the Bruno when only about 16 !! 

As i  lived in Carlton (had progressed  from Sneinton)  the Catholic Club had attendance usually on a Sunday, as did the Carlton Hotel and its famous sunday night disco. Sometimes went in the Cavo when didnt go into town. The Westdale was quite nice for a local pub. Worked in the newly refurbed Nags Head on Carlton Hill around 1980 and then The Elwes Arms (landlord had moved there from original Grey Goose). Inn for a Penny was always a theme pub to us and altho my Parents lived almost opposite for 20 yrs that went in only once I believe. And does anyone remember Club Balaton at the top of Beseccar Avenue where some of us would go after the Nags Head ?? All probably gone now. 

• Upvote 1

Other than Elwes and In for a Penny, yes your right, they are gone, regarding the Catholic Club, assuming I have the right one.. same side as the Bruno, a little further up the hill...

became a gym/fitness centre..then became the 'Doghouse' rehearsal/recording studio & live venue, which also closed about 5 year's ago.

Doe's anybody remember a independent betting shop which was round the side? when it was the Catholic Club?

Rose queen, thanks for the inspiration and reminders..

Not the Westdaele Tavern but  very close..Hartington Ave?...

https://untappd.com/w/the-mallard-brewery/8396

• 3 months later...

Re:  The Framesmith's Arms in Boowul.  I'm extremely hacked off that they changed the name to its nickname (Monkey), because that loses yet another historical association. I know that there are stories of the pub having a stuffed monkey or whatever wayback, but I'm more inclined to believe that the nickname was derived from the official name.

So.. a Framesmith was someone who looked after knitting frames.  The young kids who were employed to crawl under working machinery to grease it were called 'Grease Monkeys'.  I don't think it's such a stretch to see the link.

As for the 'Swinger'.  It never occurred to me that it had anything to do with Trolley buses.. although I often caught them from there in the fifties. I thought it was named after the 'swing gates' over the railway, which as I recall came through from Bestwood Road via the 'bonemill'.

9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

As for the 'Swinger'.  It never occurred to me that it had anything to do with Trolley buses.. although I often caught them from there in the fifties. I thought it was named after the 'swing gates' over the railway, which as I recall came through from Bestwood Road via the 'bonemill'.

Or maybe summat to do with people who exchange partners ?!,   Maybe that's where they all used to meet :).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2020 at 12:24 AM, DJ360 said:

Re:  The Framesmith's Arms in Boowul.  I'm extremely hacked off that they changed the name to its nickname (Monkey), because that loses yet another historical association. I know that there are stories of the pub having a stuffed monkey or whatever wayback, but I'm more inclined to believe that the nickname was derived from the official name.

So.. a Framesmith was someone who looked after knitting frames.  The young kids who were employed to crawl under working machinery to grease it were called 'Grease Monkeys'.  I don't think it's such a stretch to see the link.

I knew the Framesmiths as the drum and monkey. I was told at one time they had a monkey in a cage in the. Bar.  I used to drink in ‘Swingers’ in the early 80’s when it was run by the Tizzard’s. I think it was Ray and Lil Tizzard. His brother was a Police Sergeant I knew.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Station Hotel (now gone) in Newstead was just known as  The Pub, mainly because there was only the Miners Welfare (Stute) and Station Hotel in the village. It had other names by locals Jug and Bottle , Shearers Arms , Supply Gate.

I'm sure there used to be a Lord Nelson on Sellars Wood Road, Crabtree, Bulwell. That were known as the 'Nellie' too.

10 hours ago, RadFordee said:

i worked at the lord nelson on percy st in old basford & it was always just refered to as the nellie by everyone.

Even though it wasn't my area I went there a few times in the 80s. I've just looked and discovered it closed as a pub and is now converted to flats.

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm005163/posterid/ntgm005163.html

@Cliff Ton thats a great pic ct also showing the flats that where there at that time, when i worked there from 86-92 the flats had already gone from there & new housing being built in their place, i didn't know it had been converted into flats, the last time i passed the nellie it looked empty & in a very sorry state so at least its being re-used for something now, it was always a busy & well used pub when i worked there. I think it had been closed as a pub for quite some time,like most other pubs in the area.

Anyone recall the ''Ode English'' ? Old English Gentlemen.....in Old Basford.......all my Old Basford relatives drank in there.....1950s cant remember what street it was on...between Wicklow and Cowley i think...........

Back in the late 60s me and a few friends used to frequent The Grosvenor on Mansfield Rd. Warm Home Ales bitter or mild was the drink of choice back then. Lager was an expensive German drink although bottled Carlsberg was catching on.

We used to assemble in the smoke filled lounge which was a bit quieter than the bar where there was a jukebox. In the evening on a warm summer Saturday people would be out in the courtyard, the bar windows would be open and the jukebox turned up. I remember August 1968 when Union Gap's “Young Girl” was played many times. The atmosphere was complete with the smell of cooked steak wafting out the upstairs windows. Back then The Grosvenor was a Berni Inn and it was always packed.

We always affectionately referred to the pub as The Grov. Not very imaginative but to many it conjures up those heady days of the 60s. Lest we forget closing time was 10:30 and no smell of bleddy weed which seems to be everywhere here in Bournemouth.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Anyone recall the ''Ode English'' ? Old English Gentlemen.....in Old Basford.......all my Old Basford relatives drank in there.....1950s cant remember what street it was on...between Wicklow and Cowley i think...........

I don't know it or remember it, but this is what it looked like.

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm000261/posterid/ntgm000261.html

• Like 1