Does anyone know where there were some Nissen huts for housing? I distinctly remember as a little kid, going with my mum to visit one of her brothers and family in a Nissen hut. I seem to think they were surrounded by dirt, not tarmac, so had obviously been used for something else previously, like commercial use. The inside had been divided into rooms, but I've often wondered since, where they were located.

I don't remember Nissen huts being used as housing, but in Long Eaton up until the 80's there were still Prefabs - a school pal lived in one! I am pretty sure they are now all gone!

Same here, never heard of them as housing, but our training centre was made up of them at the top pit at Hucknall, and we had a couple when I worked at Wilson Fords.

I know some bombed out families were rehoused in army/airforce camps during/shortly after the war could it have been thus? or are you thinking of the prefab "bungalows" of which there were quite a few small estates around nottingham, I think some still exist where they had been bought from the council? If not a nissen hut one that has lasted from the war is "The Log Cabin" rear of the Royal Oak pub Watnall, originally airmens barracks it has long since been part of pub and has been used as disco and function room

It was definitely a Nissen hut. Tin with a rounded corrugated tin roof. I'm familiar with prefabs and this was nothing like one. I've a feeling it was in the Sneinton/St Anns area, but not sure. I'll have to ask my eldest brother if he remembers going there, I know I didn't dream it.

Ayup Katyjay,

Don't remember any being used for housing and like everyone else I can remember the prefab/bungalow type dwellings, there are still some examples of these in the Bilborough area, one thing springs to mind though, all these prefabs had Anderson shelters in the garden that had been converted to garden sheds, just a thought

Rog

Hi Rog

I googled 'Nissen huts post war housing in Nottm' or somesuch, and several leads came up, one was from Nottingham University asking folks for memories or living in one after the war, so I didn't dream it. I never saw an Anderson shelter, they'd gone from my area when I was a kid.

Ayup Katyjay,

There are still some Anderson shelter garden sheds about in the Bilborough area and I'm sure someone on here might get a photo to post, Very interesting about the university wanting info on these buildings, please post any info you get about them as it will be interesting from an historical point.

thanks

Rog

From Dens FLYMO TURBO COMPACT 330, Used grass cutter for sale tread http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1811

Cheers Den , any idea how high grass can grow ? its just peeking over my 8 foot fence !

If you look closely before the green house there is an old Anderson air-raid shelter or you could just hide in the grass !

090608002ow2.jpg

From http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/www/press...?ReleaseID=1133

The keys of a refurbished Tarran bungalow have been handed to its delighted tenant in the final stages of the City Council's programme to replace these 309 wartime 'prefabs.'

In the latest phase, 34 bungalows have been completely re-furbished, at an approximate cost of £2,574 million, under the City's Tarran Bungalow Replacement Phase12 programme, which is almost complete at three sites at Cinderhill, Beechdale and Whitemoor in Nottingham.

The City Council intends to invest a further £21.7 million in its housing stock during 2001/2002.

This will include £1.43 million to rebuild a further 22 pre-fabricated bungalows, beginning in June, leaving only 16 to be replaced out of the City's original 309.

Mrs Valerie Richards, who lives at 160 Cinderhill Road, said. "When I received the chance to have my bungalow rebuilt I jumped for joy. The Council and the contractors have done a wonderful job and have been very helpful. I am currently living in temporary accommodation and expect to move into my new home in May 2001.

"I am looking forward to improved living conditions, a quiet central heating system, warm home and low bills"

The pre-fabricated Tarran bungalows were built in 1946 due to a high demand for family accommodation after the war.

The bungalows were quick to build and have lasted close to 50 years. However, they have now lasted longer than their planned lifetime and require major improvements. The new bungalows are accessible to everyone, including disabled and elderly people, have PVC-u windows, all round super insulation, and user friendly and efficient heating systems.

Graham Allen MP handed over their keys to Mr & Mrs Richards today (Friday, May 4) at 10:00am. He said, "Progress on replacing them has been extremely positive and none of this would have been possible without the co-operation of the tenants and City Council officers involved. Tenants are highly delighted with the work.

"The Tarran Bungalow Replacement Programme will make a big difference to these Council tenants. They will now have quality accommodation surpassing today's housing standards, with an efficient heating system to cut fuel consumption, high domestic fuel bills and carbon dioxide released into the atmosphere.

"Improving the quality of life by improving housing standards and saving energy equals happier tenants by saving them money and helping the environment at the same time; it's got to be a winner". The SAP rating of 85 for the newly built bungalows significantly exceeds the Government target of 80. (Standard Assessment Procedure, used to measure the energy efficiency of buildings).

"...In the latest phase, 34 bungalows have been completely re-furbished, at an approximate cost of £2,574 million, under the City's Tarran Bungalow Replacement Phase12 programme, which is almost complete at three sites..."

Rather pricey...at £8,043,750 apiece.

Perhaps they have a swimming pool and an inside privvy...

Cheers

Robt P.

In the early 1950's there were a lot of Nissen Huts on Colwick Woods that were used as temporary accommodation for families on the councils waiting list. I remember them very well as a number of kids at Jesse Boot School on Hereford Road lived on "The Camp" as it was known. It was formerly a camp for Italian POW's who after the Italian War ended (in 1943) were seen wandering the streets of Bakersfields in their time off. I think the camp area was off Greenwood Road just down from the children's playground more or less between Ripon Road and Harrogate Road. The area later became football pitches as it was already level. To the best of recollection the "Camp" closed and was demolished by 1956.

• 9 years later...

lived in a nissan hut at Rolleston Camp Larkhill when I was with 12 Missile AD regt RA,  it was red hot when sunshining & freezing cold at all other times, made a right din when it rained hard, had 2 electric heaters = 1 at each end. Herbert's from other rival regt's would throw stones at our huts from the nearby road in middle of night to wake us up, we couldn't do same to them as they lived in proper brick barracks,  we waited for them with fire hoses though when we heard they were coming, lol...

Ours didn't even have electric heaters just a central pot bellied stove and a ration of coke that was Larkhill 72, spent a week there practicing an 'advance in review order' for the Queen Mum, she came on the Saturday and it pissed down...... nowt Like Salisbury Plain rain..................

• Like 1

Used to go up the road to the Bustard Inn pub to have a few beers, we'd sneak in through a hole we'd made in the fence so we didn't cop it off the guard commander for coming back late. There was hell to pay when the hole was discovered, they said "if you lot can sneak in so can the IRA." Got a point as was late 70's at height of the IRA bombing campaign..

2 hours ago, colly0410 said:

Yes Salisbury Plains & Sennybridge rain is especially cold, Munster-lager rain not far behind. Did the Army choose cold damp climate places for their camps to toughen us up? Makes you wonder..

Nah mate they chose them places because they were cheap or in some cases free.

Did you notice all major exercise's were Sept or Oct never June or July the buggers wanted you cold and wet.

Did you do Crusader 80 that was a big EX but good fun, can't remember it raining once.

• Like 1

Was back in Larkhill in 1980 & missed Crusader 80, heard some stories about it though, lol. I left in March 81. Had a great time & still friends with some of the lads. 

When I was in QMC for 3 weeks with ischemic colitis the bloke in opposite bed sounded familiar = it was my old Sergeant, we had some laughs about the old days when he tipped my bed upside down with me still in it & threw my bedding & kit out of the window as I'd overslept, lol..  

• Like 2

I'd say some of the best days Catfan, seemed a bit strange when I came back to Nottingham with all the rioting that went on that summer....... Was on the news back then that they wanted to use Rolleston Camp as a prison to hold the rioters as the proper clinks were full, but it wasn't fit for prisoners to be housed, but was it fit enough for us soldiers though...

• Like 2

Funny incident I remember: There was a very pretty girl I'd met, I had my face buried in her neck when she said "you might know my Dad!" I said "who is he then?" She said "Sergeant-Major Nxxxxxxx!" I nearly died, I rapidly un-buried my face from her neck & made a sharp exit. I saw her a few times secretly after that but dare not take it any further in case he found out & killed me, lol...

Thing is I've met him at reunions since & he knew what was going on all the time, I'd have poo'd my pants if I'd know he'd known back then. Said he wished she'd married me instead of the violent scumbag she actually did! Funny old world init???

• Upvote 1