Nottingham pubs you really miss

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just miss all "Pubs" the music - sing-songs- good night out with friends - dancing on tables- people being drunk (just happy drunk) at least if you joined in the singing and if you did not have a si

I must admit that even though I'm from Mong Eaton, Nottingham was always my town for drinking. I worked at Butlins Minehead from 1979 to 1983 and my best mate Jake's from Portsmouth. In about 1981 a g

Only just discovered this wonderful site. At the end of the 70s I lived in bed sit land better known as Mapperley Park, on Magdala Road and used The New Inn virtually every night of the week. A great

Posted Images

Christ, if all the pubs were demolished which had barred me at sometime or other, then there would only be those built since the 80's remaining.

I know there is probably a whole tread about the Berni inns but they are the ones I miss "The Chateau" on Wilford lane was somewhere the Mrs and me would go on a saturday night when we could afford it, Prawn Cocktail, Steak and Blackforest Gateau, those were the days!!

• Upvote 1

We'd turn up there at five to eleven on a Friday after a drop or ten. You'd get extra cobs, more chips and lots of Apple pie they just wanted rid of. Great days.

There was a pub on fletcher gate/weekday cross opposite the cross keys pub before the redevelopment can't remember the name of it , I thing it was on the corner off Pilcher Gate.

Berni Inns, now there's a memory, Savoy Hotel prawn cocktail, rump steak, apple pie.

Don't know what theyused to put on the steaks but they tasted so good.

Elm Tree at Hoveringham on the river there, now an old peoples home.

Grey Goose, Porchester and Belle View pubs too, mainly because I used to meet my brother there when returning from oz.

• Upvote 1

#249 &251. I remember when they pulled down the buildings in #249 and built a bank in their place (now the Bank pub). Someone wrote to the Evening Post and complained that its design was old-fashioned and what the city wanted were modern buildings. Well he got his way a little later when they built the Lloyds office block that has blighted the skyline of the Square ever since.

• Upvote 1

Elm Tree at Hoveringham on the river there, now an old peoples home.

I know I'm not the only person on here that has found memories of The Elm Tree, Banjo. It's actually private dwellings as opposed to a residential home. Further up the river is another place that I really miss, The Hazelford Ferry/Star and Garter, which had a great position by the river. That one is a residential home nowadays.

If i still lived in Nottingham I would miss Thurland Hall - up the lace Market. Worthington E in the smoke room where women were banned, Some things were brilliant in the 50's. I remember the Flying Horse because I let a full pint glass slip out of my hand when in my late teens - used a mug ever since.

I visited Nottm a couple of years ago with a group from Staffs and ended up leading a guided tour. Of course we had to go to 'The Trip' which was an old haunt in my student days. I was delighted to see that the 'ring the bull' game was still in existence. I had to try my hand after a 50 odd year absence and 'violla' I ringed the bull on the second attempt.

# 261 ...... Banjo, I watched the moon landing in July 1969 on the TV in the back room of the Elm Tree at Hoveringham. I remember the drama and excitement of it all went on into the middle of the night and we all left to go home as dawn broke. Luckily there were no drink/driving laws back then!!

Star & Garter and the Elm Tree. Had a few locking there in the early to mid 60's. One of my mates knew the landlord of both.

Yes Lizzie, good job there were no drink driving laws in those days. We did have an accident returning home one night. His Ford 8 van ran off the road and into a ditch. No one was hurt as there were TEN of us packed inside.

We were in the Trip on Monday. Last time we were in the horn ring game was down - string broken probably, but Monday it was back again. I delighted myself with 10 minutes at aiming the ring at American tourists.* Didnt get any one of them though.

*There should be a dress code enforceable at the airports - check shirts, shorts and sandals with socks should not be permitted.

#269 & 270.

Just to clarify an abridged list of the changes to drink driving laws in the UK. 1872 It becomes an offence to be drunk in charge of horses, carriages, cattle and steam engines. 1925 It becomes an offence to be drunk in charge of any mechanical vehicle in a public place. 1967 First maximum blood/alcohol limit, this was set at 80mg's per 100ml of blood. 1968 First road side breathalyser approved for use..

Seems to me you were lucky not to get caught. LOL. If you remember pre 1967 if stopped you would have to perform what the yanks call a sobriety test, walking a straight line etcetera.

NewBasfordlad, that info surprises me, I thought there was no breathalyser until late 70's/early 80's. I remember the BBC sending a reporter to our local pub in Bedfordshire on the day that I thought the breathalyser came into being.

I remember a place called "The Railway Club" on Wilford Lane somewhere between the Chateau and the Rivermead flats we used to frequent the place on a sunday lunchtime it had one of those old fashioned tanner one armed bandits, Tic Tac Toe dropped the jackpot all in tanners and was one of the most wonderful sounds I can recall. Just wondered if anyone remembered the place and what it had to do with the railways.