Nottingham pubs you really miss

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just miss all "Pubs" the music - sing-songs- good night out with friends - dancing on tables- people being drunk (just happy drunk) at least if you joined in the singing and if you did not have a si

I must admit that even though I'm from Mong Eaton, Nottingham was always my town for drinking. I worked at Butlins Minehead from 1979 to 1983 and my best mate Jake's from Portsmouth. In about 1981 a g

Only just discovered this wonderful site. At the end of the 70s I lived in bed sit land better known as Mapperley Park, on Magdala Road and used The New Inn virtually every night of the week. A great

Posted Images

The front bar on the right as you went in the flying horse, had a glass panel in the floor near the fireplace.

I dont remember any skelleton?

The mill was a great pub. Was it around 1980.

There was a Van upstairs as a feature, Was it Watneys or something similar?

Remember the Lasers?

• 1 month later...

A pub a little further away in Nottinghamshire I miss is the old Kelly's Tavern near the Town Lock at Newark. Probably the nicest thing about it was it's lovely position overlooking the Trent where you could while away a pint or two gazing out of the window on the peaceful scene outside.

I read that the pub dated back originally to 1770 and had previously been named 'The Swan and Salmon Tap'. In it's last guise before closing it had been refurbished and branded as a 'Manx' theme pub and sold beers from the Isle of Man.

My most memorable time in there was on the Friday night of the excellent free music festival that used to be held on the riverside park just opposite. A few friends and I had taken the early train to Newark from Nottingham to take in the music and sink a few beers before the last train back home from Newark Castle Station. As so often seems the case with these things the storm clouds gathered ominously and we pre-empted the impending downpour by skipping over the lock into Kelly's for a pint and some shelter. We had a terrific grandstand view of an enormous electrical storm unfolding the other side of the huge picture windows over the river.

It's such a shame that this place closed down and I always wondered, considering its position, why it had not been a success. When I think about it most of the pubs I miss are ones that have been by water of some sort, be it a river, the sea or whatever. Kelly's Tavern was also useful for a twin-pub thrash with the great Castle Barge just up the river at the wharf.

841.jpg

went in the Borlace on Sat night and although it has been stripped of the fixtures and fittings that made the place unique, it was packed.........none of the usual mix but a total sea of new faces !!!!! ......why ???? .....stayed half an hour and sspent the rest of the evening in the playhouse bar with familiar faces !!!!!... oh thats where everyone has gone .....

• 3 months later...

For me The Old Volunteer in Caythorpe is missed, a while back the brewery decided to turn it into a restaurant, whilst the then landlady/landlord went round the corner to run another pub, but as of yet there seems to be no one responding to the "run this pub" sign (or whatever it says) So it just sits there, refurbished bit closed.

The Old Volunteer at Caythorpe has been open for a little while again. it looks to be more of an eating place perhaps but still a place where you could just pop in for a pint or two.

Many of the pubs that have closed down are unlamented by me (though I appreciate it's s shame when people lose their 'locals'). One pub I do really mist though is TheStar and Garter, latterly The Hazelford Ferry at Hazelford. I loved the quiet riverside location of that pub and would often nip in there for a pint whilst walking up by the River Trent. I did just that one afternoon after completing a morning shift to find the doors thrown wide open and builders with a cement mixer inside the pub which was being converted into a residential care home for the elderly. The pub used to have a lovely conservatory at the back and a peaceful patio by the river. Sadly missed.

For me it has to be the "King Billy" in Bulwell...good night out for 10 bob and straight into Sando's fish and chip shop after for pie and chips, plenty of salt and vinegar mind!!!

Owdtite...!

What has happenede to the Flying Horse statue that was on the front of the Flying horse pub now its gone, Where has it gone?, does anybody know?

What has happenede to the Flying Horse statue that was on the front of the Flying horse pub now its gone, Where has it gone?, does anybody know?

still in same place last time i looked kat hence the name flying horse arcade

wont make this friday really busy.

• 4 weeks later...

really miss the qe and tavern in town but miss the white horse on ilkeston road more, shouldnt be allowed turning a listed building into a cafe...even got a halal meat sign above the door.

..even got a halal meat sign above the door.

Yes but our leader says it's good for the country

Home » News » UK Immigration News

UK Tory leader: immigration is good for Britain

Key points of a planned speech by the Tory leader, David Cameron, stress the importance and value of immigration to the British economy and its people. Likely to enrage anti-immigration campaigners, the basic message is that it is a "good thing" and actually "creates more employment."

Whilst Boris Johnson says he wants a government amnesty for the estimated 500,000 illegal immigrants now living in London.

At the present rate of arrest and repatriation, he points out, "it will take the authorities over 60 years to remove the current number of irregular migrants". During that time, tens of thousands more will arrive. It is like trying to drain the English Channel with a spoon.

"London's offer of a safe berth to the frightened and the poor of the world, from the Philippines to Somalia to Zimbabwe to Colombia, is not a subject of shame but of pride. There is no doubt that London has benefited greatly from the presence of a large pool of incoming labour, from domestic service to catering, the rag trade and even the building of the Olympic site, where a third of the workers are said to come from overseas."

• 1 month later...

Not a pub I miss, because I never went in it - but a pub which isn't there any longer and I'm curious about it. It was in Vic Centre when the Centre was first built.

There is a pedestrian bridge which goes over Parliament Street (near Boots) from Clinton Street area into Vic Centre. When you've crossed the bridge from Clinton Street you go through an area which just has wall panels all the way along, until you come into the main Vic Centre area with John Lewis on your left.

I think I remember there used to be a pub along that "corridor" where the panels are now. I never went in it because I probably wasn't old enough, but it can't have lasted very long before it closed. What was it called? Are the remains of it still there behind the panels, like those ghost stations on the London Underground?

That was "The Miltons Head" upstairs and downstairs on Parliament Street.

I have the dubious distinction of drinking in there quite regularly (On a bat round town or before and after a Notts match, as the 'Football Special' bus's ran from there, in my younger days) when I was only 17, then on my 18th birthday bash with a load of workmates, I got refused by a barman, who up to that point had quite openly seved me!!

When I visited the Vic center in 1974 I seem to remember a pub tucked into a corner near the water clock called the "New Vic" in fact I think it was even in the movie I took at the time. I will have to re- run it and check.

• Upvote 1

Yep - in fact, it may have been the "New Miltons Head" - unlike Beefy, I have the dubious distinction of having had a beer (or two) in the original. Believe me, the replacement was a 100% improvement!

Yep - in fact, it may have been the "New Miltons Head" - unlike Beefy, I have the dubious distinction of having had a beer (or two) in the original. Believe me, the replacement was a 100% improvement!

anyone remember the disco in the basement late sixties early seventies used to have some good nights in there a good dj but carnt remember his name but good place for dancing.

When I visited the Vic center in 1974 I seem to remember a pub tucked into a corner near the water clock called the "New Vic" in fact I think it was even in the movie I took at the time. I will have to re- run it and check.

i think the new vic was the other end of the centre near glasshouse street ?

It was me who started the question about pubs in Vic Centre, and this thread has jumped sideways into the "80s Nottingham" category under the heading "Pub name wanted"

Seems the question came up a few years ago and there are quite alot of answers

I remember a pub on the "right of way" through vic centre from the clock tower to glasshouse street, if I remember correctly on the right corner just before latter street facing the white hart/owd boots,not sure of name, over 30 years ago when I did some work there!