Nottingham pubs you really miss

The tattoo studio used to be a Maypole grocery store. The pharmacy used to be a newsagents. I think the Abacus was once a hairdressers or perhaps butchers and around the corner was a sweet shop, next to the hosiery factory.

Hammond's garage, where my dad used to park his van overnight in a locked compound, used to sell Cleveland petrol. He bought a Ford Anglia 7cwt van from them and my brother and I saw it in front of the showroom before he collected it. We were gaping into the interior with excitement (I was about 10yrs old at the time) when a bloke came out and chased us off.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just miss all "Pubs" the music - sing-songs- good night out with friends - dancing on tables- people being drunk (just happy drunk) at least if you joined in the singing and if you did not have a si

I must admit that even though I'm from Mong Eaton, Nottingham was always my town for drinking. I worked at Butlins Minehead from 1979 to 1983 and my best mate Jake's from Portsmouth. In about 1981 a g

Only just discovered this wonderful site. At the end of the 70s I lived in bed sit land better known as Mapperley Park, on Magdala Road and used The New Inn virtually every night of the week. A great

Posted Images

The sign that caused the fuss was just out of sight to the right of the picture. It was a jolly, smiling woman, wearing a low-cut dress and carrying a basket of oranges. She was offering an orange in a seductive pose.

The tattoo studio used to be a Maypole grocery store. The pharmacy used to be a newsagents. I think the Abacus was once a hairdressers or perhaps butchers and around the corner was a sweet shop, next to the hosiery factory.

As I remember it there was a barber shop 'Rex's' to the right of the pharmacy and just to the right of that there was a newsagent (where I'd queue for my Football Post on a Saturday evening with much anticipation!) I remember the sweet shop around the corner. Was there also a little greengrocer there somewhere?

Hey Compo - as Stu already knows, I was born at the back of the Wagon & Horses at Redhill! No, not at the back of the pub, but at 26 Lodge Farm Lane - the road that runs parallel to Mansfield Road behind the pub. In those days there was a footpath from Lodge Farm Lane to the pub!

This is the house - left side, upstairs original window was where I was born!

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Redhill,+Nottingham,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=53.012724,-1.131444&spn=0.001468,0.00306&sll=42.441492,-83.681801&sspn=0.01441,0.024483&oq=Redhill,+No&hnear=Redhill,+Nottinghamshire,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.012807,-1.131404&panoid=iQg-xJQA_NrrcFENuEKXhg&cbp=12,115.86,,0,6.07

Do you remember a pond near a farm just up from the Waggon? I seem to remember a "Private Fishing" sign and steep embankments. This would be about 1960.

A thought just crossed my mind - didn't take long - it's only tiny. There was once a tip on the left hand side (Going up the hill) of Calverton Road, Arnold. Wasn't there a pub just before the tip? Around the area where the No.20 bus terminated.

Compo - the pond at Redhill was Gadsby's pond - much beloved of newt collectors! It was just behind their old farm house, the original 'Guide House'. I'm pretty sure that both Eric and myself fell in it as youngsters (it's a rite of passage thing in these parts!)

The pub on Calveron Road you describe is still there, it's called The Longbow. There was also one further towards the centre of Arnold on the other side called The Seven Stars.

Here's The Seven Stars. The PTP description says it's license was transferred to The Longbow. I recall it's old license Keith Robins who kept The Flying Horse on High Street for many years afterwards.

NCCC002368.jpg

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCC002368&prevUrl=

The seven stars was where my grandfather used to drink before he became a teetotaler and joined the Good Templar movement. The longbow, as I recall, was a newish pub with little character.

Gadsby's was the name I was looking for. I wonder if it was a natural pond or man-made?

Think it was man made. They also had a couple of ponds near the Lea Pool Roundabout for irrigation which are still there. Gadsby's were a large farming family. Had an aunt married one of them and lived on Lodge Farm Lane, quite near where Eric (Limey) would have lived.

Yes - back then our house was the last one on Lodge Farm Lane. Next to us was one of Gadsby's fields, then the field with the pond (at the back of the farm) - which I fell into! At that time, Lodge Farm Lane was unpaved and ended at the field with a footpath that ran along the west edge of the field, then turned west and ran behind the houses on Roscoe Avenue (where my uncle lived).

I was born at the back of the Wagon & Horses at Redhill! No, not at the back of the pub, but at 26 Lodge Farm Lane

I could not see the plaque from street view Eric? :)

Ha, bloody ha!

Rats - I didn't see the last three words! I was on my way south just then.

!yowza!

March Hare pub carlton road, thurs nights strippers[female] just 20p to get in what a night, many years ago

What decorators in while the pub was still serving ;) who put up the new paper?;)

Nottingham was my stamping ground from the alte 70s to the late 80s.

I certainly recall the Flying Horse, and one bar was predominantly gay, but I cant recall anything near homophobic trouble.

Warrows of course, with the cider which had twigs in it!

White Horse on Oxclose Lane had probably the closest thing to an American Drive -in and was full of posh totty. Boarded up now.

The Wheatsheaf on the bottom of BobbersMill Bridge. Always a sociable place, but looks like its going to close.

The Old General at the top end of Bobbers Mill Road. Again sadly boarded up. I never particularly liked the Owd G. I preferred the Clock on Birkin Avenue. Remarkably the Clock is relatively intact and unchanged.

White Horse on Oxclose Lane had probably the closest thing to an American Drive -in and was full of posh totty. Boarded up now.

The White Hart at the junction of Mansfield Road and Oxclose Lane, Daybrook? Now a pile of rubble.

re anagrams, someone I knew had a habit of arranging the "beer clothes" on the bar so as to cover certain letters in SHIPSTONES to annoy the landlady at The Fox and Crown Old Basford!

not guilty!