Nottingham pubs you really miss

That was on the top floor Ash and iw was called............................................................bugger I've gone and forgetten!!!!!!!!! (strange name for a pub)

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just miss all "Pubs" the music - sing-songs- good night out with friends - dancing on tables- people being drunk (just happy drunk) at least if you joined in the singing and if you did not have a si

I must admit that even though I'm from Mong Eaton, Nottingham was always my town for drinking. I worked at Butlins Minehead from 1979 to 1983 and my best mate Jake's from Portsmouth. In about 1981 a g

Only just discovered this wonderful site. At the end of the 70s I lived in bed sit land better known as Mapperley Park, on Magdala Road and used The New Inn virtually every night of the week. A great

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

anyone remember the disco in the basement late sixties early seventies used to have some good nights in there a good dj but carnt remember his name but good place for dancing.

you're talking about the old miltons head of course. there was a dj called woody.

• 1 year later...

The News House on St James Street was for many years my favourite pub in town, now totally ruined in the interest of profit and an Australian theme. Also, not a regular but I always enjoyed a pint at the Crystal Palace.

I seem to remember that the News house once housed the Nottingham traditional Music Club. (NTMC). Is the NTMC still running in another place?

Hi wasn't there a little "piano bar" on Milton Street downstairs near where the current gap shop is?

steve freyne

Steve Freyne - sister called Anna perchance?

There's a photo of the Sawyers Arms and also a photo of the old Broad Marsh

Remind me, please - where is/was the Sawyers Arms?

My most common weekend evening out in the early 1970s when I lived on Arundel Street, near Canning Circus, was: Start at Hand and Heart (built into the sandstone), Derby Road; Next The Sir John Borlace Warren (commonly known as The Borlace) Canning Circus; then on to another little bar just around the corner whose name I have now rather inconveniently unremembered - doh!; finally the Portland Arms just off Alfreton Road.

Weekdays drinking was usually confined to The Wheatsheaf on Ilkeston Road, which my pal and I called (affectionately) the Colour Bar, because we were often the only two non-coloureds that used it. Had many great evenings in that pub :o)

It rings a bell but I'm blowed if I can place it. I'll take a look at Picture the Past and see if there's a photo.

I'd forgotten that there was a pub between the 2 entrances to Woollies

I'm not old enough to have gone there, but you could obviously stand at the entrance to the Sawyer's and look down the road at the Tower, which has also been mentioned on these pages

sawyers.jpg

There must have been loads of pubs that vanished in the demolition craze of the 1960's when likes of Meadows,St Ann's, Basford (Old and New) and Hyson Green were decimated? two I recall (and went in underage) were The Plough & Harrow and The Windsor Castle but where were they?

The Walter Fountain was I think on the island at the "Y" junction on that map, I recall such, think erected by some businessman as memorial to his soldier son? have mentioned elsewhere in tram era days a pole came off one, hit the memorial and knocked off a lump of stone which fell on a pedestrian killing him!

"The Walter Fountain" was erected in Memory of John Walter a one time editor of the "Times" newspaper by his son a Nottingham M.P.in 1866 at a cost of £1,000.

It Was a trolley bus pole which caused the stone to be knocked off the fountain in1939,the man killed was aged 73 & named William Bradbury.

The fountain was demolished in 1950 in a road widening scheme.

Well I wasn't far off? lol, got the story from me mam! demolished in 1950? would have said later as would have been only only 4 then but def recall seeing it, mind you I do remember a few things before I started school inc 1950 being start of new decade and some sort of flypast (seemed to be 100's of planes) that was tribute/memorial of ww2? but years after end of it

Information from "Nottingham Then" picture Number 5 Published by The Nottingham Evening Post 1988 @ £6.95

ISBN 0-948946-26-1

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM000839&pos=71&action=zoom&id=52285

There are at least 10 other pics of the fountain in picture the past all with same text saying it was pulled down "in the 1950's" however I don't think we should go on picture the past text too much? (see the last few posts in the topic "Where,s This" as they have Clifton Boulevard photo titled as Aspley Lane)

• 5 months later...

I don't arf miss the old fashioned pub. These days they are all pseudo-old fashioned, with posh interiors pretending to be exactly what they were before they were "Done up".....done-in more like. mutter, grumble, moan, bitch, gripe.

"A pint and a cheese'n onion cob please." "Eh? The menu is on the table sir" ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

Tend to agree with this. Went in a local village pub after a walk last week that I've been going in for several decades. It's under reasonably new ownership:

'Will you be dining with us tonight?'

I notice the pub is billed on it's Facebook page as a 'Restaurant/Cafe Bar'.

What a load of tosh!