Nottingham pubs you really miss

No Phil, not you, it was one of Murphy's drivers, Do you recall the 2 "Rock Festivals" we had there? not exactly as per Donnington but good times, though one or two of the local residents complained re the noise, actually not that local, got a complaint from Heathfield Estate so had a drive round to see how bad it was, could be heard clear as a bell at Perry Rd/Hucknall Rd junction! and that was early on before PA turned up for Gary Moore!

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just miss all "Pubs" the music - sing-songs- good night out with friends - dancing on tables- people being drunk (just happy drunk) at least if you joined in the singing and if you did not have a si

I must admit that even though I'm from Mong Eaton, Nottingham was always my town for drinking. I worked at Butlins Minehead from 1979 to 1983 and my best mate Jake's from Portsmouth. In about 1981 a g

Only just discovered this wonderful site. At the end of the 70s I lived in bed sit land better known as Mapperley Park, on Magdala Road and used The New Inn virtually every night of the week. A great

Posted Images

The Guildhall Tavern which faced the guildhall. The Albert , the Black Boy, Spread Eagle, The Goldsmith Tavern, original Milton's Head downstairs, Imperial, Jallands,

Funny how you miss pubs that you never bothered with when you had the opportunity. I only visited the Black Boy once in my entire drinking career - now I wish I had gone more often :(

Ferry Boat at Hazelford ferry, had some lovely evenings there after a couple of hours fishing.

Belle vue and Porchester pubs on Wodborough road Mapperley, my brothers old locals and I used to always find him there when on one of my unanounced return trips back to the uk. The look on his face when I would walk over and stick a pint in front of him, after not seeing him for 2-3 years was a picture.

My dad used to be in the Porchester darts team too so many memories there.

Ferry Boat at Hazelford ferry, had some lovely evenings there after a couple of hours fishing.

Belle vue and Porchester pubs on Wodborough road Mapperley, my brothers old locals and I used to always find him there when on one of my unanounced return trips back to the uk. The look on his face when I would walk over and stick a pint in front of him, after not seeing him for 2-3 years was a picture.

My dad used to be in the Porchester darts team too so many memories there.

I remember the Belle Vue for loads of reasons. The landlord played the stripper music for last orders and Iam not a pheasant plucker for Time gentlemen please. If you couldn't sing it properly you didn't drive home. When the city had opening time till 10.30 and the county till 11.00 loads of people used to shoot across Porchester road to the Plainsman for last orders. I also remember going into the Arrow. Is it still there?

The Arrow is still there but was completely rebuilt a few years back.

Where there was once only one pub on Mapperley top (Plainsman), there are now three - all next door to each other, the Plainsman (now Greene King), Bread & Bitter (Castle Rock Brewery), and Woodthorpe Top (Weatherspoons).

Needless to say, there is quite often a bit of trouble at weekends now as they all disgorge their drunken masses.

Cremorne was great for pie chips and peas and about six pints before Forest matches.

Belle Vue was demolished and now an old folks home. We used to go to Engine house in Carlton to get the extra half hours drink.

Where about's in Doncaster are you Donny? my missus comes from Balby.

Family lives in Hatfield but still go to Nottingham to see Forest as I am now retired. Got married in Nottingham and left in 1983.

I remember the Old Volunteer in Loughborough closed in 1979

I was there on the last night. We drank it dry, ISTR we were down to supping Babycham at the end! That was one of the best bikers' pubs I ever went to. Remember the old juke box, think it was ten plays for 10p?

• 3 weeks later...

The News House on St James Street was for many years my favourite pub in town, now totally ruined in the interest of profit and an Australian theme. Also, not a regular but I always enjoyed a pint at the Crystal Palace.

Oh yes agreed! Went to my very first folk club there ..... 30 odd years later I'm still an out and out mad folkie!!!

We came on a flying visit to Gedling today and drove by the site of The Grey Goose on Arnold Lane. The newly built buildings have removed all trace of somewhere that played a big part of my life in Gedling, many happy fun nights with my family, dancing in the big room to live bands in the 1960s, singing our hearts out in the bar with the regulars, and when my lovely young brother died in recent years the regulars put a plaque on the wall outside and a bench as tribute to him, which my sisters were given when the pub closed its doors for the last time. If you didn't know there had been a pub there, you would never guess as all trace has gone, except for the memories of the people who remember it. It just made me feel a bit sad but i can raise a smile at the good times we had there, they can take the building away but not the memories.

• Upvote 1